Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Hey everyone,
I have tried so many times to update the truck in my driveway. It’s connected to my WiFi and even displays that the update will start in a few seconds seconds.

Every morning I find that it didn’t work again. Driving me absolutely nuts. I would love to use the new trailer cam feature while driving.

HELP !!!
Is a WiFi connection even needed?

AFAIK all of the 13 OTA updates I've automatically received since my truck was new have been via the AT&T cell network, I don't park my truck in range of my rural home's WiFi hotspot. :unsure:
Sponsored

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Industrial Equipment Sales
Hey, it could be worse...my alarm goes off at random times at night, have correlated it to update activity. Thanks Ford, real feature for the neighbors and at a hotel.

AndreB

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 502a Star White Metallic 157" WB
Occupation
Retired
Exactly what @KTM753 said.
You have to charge your battery.
Max it out and then change your auto update to 5 mins after you unplug the charger.
Hello, your comment got me thinking. I generally plug in my battery charger when I know ahead of time that I will not be using my truck for a while. Are you suggesting that when a battery charger is plugged in for a long period of time, that an OTA would not happen while the battery is hooked up to the charger? Just wandering if I should change my habits. Thanks

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Hello, your comment got me thinking. I generally plug in my battery charger when I know ahead of time that I will not be using my truck for a while. Are you suggesting that when a battery charger is plugged in for a long period of time, that an OTA would not happen while the battery is hooked up to the charger? Just wandering if I should change my habits. Thanks
I don't know exactly. But I leave my hood open when I am charging the battery so I just thought that that might prohibit a possible update if the hood was open.
So I just started to charge kept checking on it until my device said the battery was "full". Unplugged the charger and set my automatic update for 5 minutes later. Walked away and all of a sudden I got an update on my Ford pass on my phone.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blue_Bo

Blue_Bo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Occupation
Technician
I don't know exactly. But I leave my hood open when I am charging the battery so I just thought that that might prohibit a possible update if the hood was open.
So I just started to charge kept checking on it until my device said the battery was "full". Unplugged the charger and set my automatic update for 5 minutes later. Walked away and all of a sudden I got an update on my Ford pass on my phone.
Is there a sensor on the hood? I don’t think the car would notice if the hood is open or not.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
An open hood will will defer an OTA install. See preconditions.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ota-failure-finally-got-me.22268/#post-427890

OP
OP
Blue_Bo

Blue_Bo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
Occupation
Technician

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The last 2 OTA's my truck got, the first one, the hood was open and on a charger and the last one I had just driven it. The Bell showed on the screen and I hit "UPDATE NOW". They were 7 days apart. Note; first one was over WIFI and the second was cell.

AndreB

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 502a Star White Metallic 157" WB
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the reply. I did a permanent battery charger installation. I drilled and installed 2 Noco plug adapters permanently on the plastic part of the front bumper (just below the head lights, this is where I found the most space available for the Noco plugs), one for the battery charger and the other for the block heater. So when I do charge the battery or when I do use the block heater, the front hood is always closed. So the open hood sensor does not detect anything. Also, to be precise on the battery charger hook up, as some others have pointed out, I installed the Negative lead of the charger on top of the BMS, so that it will monitor the current input to the battery. So to be more precise in my question, would the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) prevent an OTA to happen because it is sensing current being put into the battery? Thanks again.

Ford F-150 Automatic software updates DON’T work! IMG_5122

Ford F-150 Automatic software updates DON’T work! IMG_5110

Ford F-150 Automatic software updates DON’T work! IMG_5120

Ford F-150 Automatic software updates DON’T work! IMG_5121

Ford F-150 Automatic software updates DON’T work! IMG_5118

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
The status of the battery has nothing to do with getting an update sent; but it does play a big part in the update going through once it is sent if it is an update that requires the vehicle to be inhibited while it installs.

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
The status of the battery has nothing to do with getting an update sent; but it does play a big part in the update going through once it is sent if it is an update that requires the vehicle to be inhibited while it installs.
So it doesn't matter what battery SOC you have to get an OTA update request sent to your truck... so you will always see the notification on your center screen?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
So it doesn't matter what battery SOC you have to get an OTA update request sent to your truck... so you will always see the notification on your center screen?
No, you won't see the notification in your screen until the OTA trigger is activated by you turning on the truck. Sometimes, you won't see the notification at all until after the update installs since some updates don't require the vehicle to be parked while they install and it will go through while you're minding your own business driving.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
But that contradicts what you and I went through. I had 3 failed attempts and then that last day is when I did the 'charge til full' and it finally worked. You even saw the previous fails and subsequent update on your end. I still had a lower than average SoC, but it was the highest of the 4 views you saw collectively.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
But that contradicts what you and I went through. I had 3 failed attempts and then that last day is when I did the 'charge til full' and it finally worked. You even saw the previous fails and subsequent update on your end. I still had a lower than average SoC, but it was the highest of the 4 views you saw collectively.
That actually coincides with what I just said. You already had an active OTA and it was failing due to the battery being low, which means you got the update sent to you in spite of the battery being low. The issue with the low battery affect the ability of the update to install, but not the ability of the OTA trigger being created at the server level. You have to be sent an update before it can have a chance to fail.
Sponsored