Sponsored

Automatic Software Updates????

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Does anyone know if I can expect to have a functioning full screen CarPlay when I pick up my 2022 some time next week?
My guess is no. My Feb 22 order just finally showed up at the dealer this week, I ran the VIN and saw it needed APIM, plus other updates. It just shipped 2 weeks ago, so trucks leaving the factory do not have the latest and greatest software. The latest APIM update just dropped the other day.

If you have the VIN, I or someone else can run a check in FDRS and tell you what updates are available.
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Not a dumb question.

A PCM update updates the PCM
An APIM update updates the APIM (Sync)

Not intending to be snarky. :)

There are as many as 47 different modules. Each module might have an update designated for itself.
Even the passenger side seat has had an update available, for example.
what is the passenger seat update? inquiring minds have to know? ejection seat maybe for girlfriend if wife happens to see you in town??? 🤗 🤗 🤗
not that i have gf #1 or #2 but it would be handy

H4ppyB34r

First Name
Borys
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 4x4 HDPP Max Tow 3.5LEcoBoost
Occupation
General Contractor
I would like to know as well...

Is there somewhere we can check to see if there are any updates needed? Or do we have to have a dealership run a check?

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Just need to post up your VIN and somebody with an FDRS license can check to what updates are available.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
AFAIK, only the '21 5.0 trucks got a PCM update OTA, and that was a recall update that only affected a handful of trucks. No other PCM updates were sent out for any vehicle. You could update it OTA, but it isn't likely. Most of the updates are for the infotainment, instrument cluster, and telematics, despite several other modules having updates available.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm not saying that I wouldn't have gone down the FDRS self-serve route just for the Sync4 related related reasons, because I would have. But it's the PCM updates that I wanted just as much and would have ante'd up for FDRS certainly.

You may not SEE what the changes are when you update the modules that actually operate the vehicle, but drivability is 90% of the joy of a well operating machine. For me anyways.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales

gadiedrick

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCrew long bed hybrid
Occupation
retired USN Chief Petty Officer
How does everyone approach software updates? Do you accepts them all automatically, wait to see if they are stable, or never update?? I've read about people who regret doing some of the updates, so I'm just trying to figure out how to approach this. The Ford app is trying to get me update to PowerUp 3.5.2.

gadiedrick

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCrew long bed hybrid
Occupation
retired USN Chief Petty Officer
I'm not saying that I wouldn't have gone down the FDRS self-serve route just for the Sync4 related related reasons, because I would have. But it's the PCM updates that I wanted just as much and would have ante'd up for FDRS certainly.

You may not SEE what the changes are when you update the modules that actually operate the vehicle, but drivability is 90% of the joy of a well operating machine. For me anyways.
When we ordered our 302a Powerboost in DEC '20 & took delivery in FEB '21 it came with everything we wanted & then some. It's the THEN SOME that, if given a choice, we decline. We are AOK with the way it was delivered & accept those updates 'forced' on us.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
When we ordered our 302a Powerboost in DEC '20 & took delivery in FEB '21 it came with everything we wanted & then some. It's the THEN SOME that, if given a choice, we decline. We are AOK with the way it was delivered & accept those updates 'forced' on us.
I understand.
I'm just pointing out that there are updates with the potential of improving the drivability of the vehicle that are NOT going to be forced on anyone. They will not be OTA updates. Or at least there's nothing Ford has done in the first 2 years of OTA to imply differently.

With FDRS, I have the option to update any module that Ford has developed the software/firmware further than they had at the time my vehicle was produced. I imagine Ford has a vast amount of accumulated data (feedback) on these Gen14 trucks at this point, and will continue to gain more.

Sponsored

Iceman2022

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Controls Engineer
I have my automatic updates turned off. If you have made changes with Forscan, do you need to put everything back to as built before you do any over the air updates?

GoldBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Raptor, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Broker
I have my automatic updates turned off. If you have made changes with Forscan, do you need to put everything back to as built before you do any over the air updates?
I'm not sure about everything, but I have 3.5.4 and after I got the update my door chime came back. If anything else has reverted back I have not noticed.

LE7EL

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport
Occupation
Engineer
I updated the Trailer Brakes for a recall. A feature* that came with it removed my Boost Gauge. I don't have the option to show it at all anymore. Anyone else have this issue or a resolution? 2022 F150 XLT Ecoboost 3.5L
Sponsored