Sponsored

Software Updates - Do I Need To Set Recurring Schedule?

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I've followed some of the various posts over the months around here, and it appears that people seem to be getting information in the Ford Pass app when their trucks get updated, is that correct?

I've had my truck since late May and I've never once seen info in my app or on my Sync screen relating to an OTA update.

My truck is connected to my home wifi when parked in the garage overnight. I have automatic updates turned ON, and I set a recurring schedule basically to check for an update every single day of the week at 12:15am (figure middle of the night so do it while I'm asleep).

Please see a screenshot of my current software updates settings in the Ford Pass app.

How the heck do I know if I've gotten an OTA or Sync update?

For those getting this information in your Ford Pass apps, do you have a recurring schedule set? Are automatic updates set to ON?

EDIT: do I need every privacy option in the truck set to ON as well? I'd have to go verify since been awhile but I think the only options there I enabled are the ones that permit the truck to communicate with the Ford Pass app and allow me to remote lock and remote start. I disabled the other privacy settings.

Ford F-150 Software Updates - Do I Need To Set Recurring Schedule? updat
Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I've followed some of the various posts over the months around here, and it appears that people seem to be getting information in the Ford Pass app when their trucks get updated, is that correct?

I've had my truck since late May and I've never once seen info in my app or on my Sync screen relating to an OTA update.

My truck is connected to my home wifi when parked in the garage overnight. I have automatic updates turned ON, and I set a recurring schedule basically to check for an update every single day of the week at 12:15am (figure middle of the night so do it while I'm asleep).

Please see a screenshot of my current software updates settings in the Ford Pass app.

How the heck do I know if I've gotten an OTA or Sync update?

For those getting this information in your Ford Pass apps, do you have a recurring schedule set? Are automatic updates set to ON?

EDIT: do I need every privacy option in the truck set to ON as well? I'd have to go verify since been awhile but I think the only options there I enabled are the ones that permit the truck to communicate with the Ford Pass app and allow me to remote lock and remote start. I disabled the other privacy settings.

update.jpeg
That screenshot, after you get an update you'll see a "Updates History" show up. Tap that and you'll see last update installed. You also used to get a message ding your phone and would show up under account messages. I haven't seen that since spring. New updates are being sneaky.

If your truck is a 23 purchased in May don't worry about it. You are not missing anything. When Ford bothers to send you an update you'll get it. There are no new features in any of the updates released in 2023. It's bug fixes your truck left the factory with already installed.

OP
OP

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
thank you for filling me in. It kinda sounds like some of the updates are sneaky I honestly wish they'd treat it like an iPhone or Windows or something. Hey there is an update available. Hey an update was installed last night. Hey this is your current update version (right there on screen).

I realize if I have no updates then I won't have a history or a notification but still. Keep hearing and seeing other folks getting things and I'm starting to wonder if mine is working correctly.

Can't say I feel like I need bugs fixed but I just like having all the newest features.

If I turn off the recurring schedule do you still get updates? Or do you have to manually scan for updates?

tfstx50

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 STX 4x4
Just set it and don’t worry about it. Don’t overthink it. You’ll eventually get updates, and like has already been said, you’re not missing anything earth shattering. Just got one the other day. You can’t even tell there was an update, because it addresses stuff that you’ll never see or otherwise know about. When you do finally get one, it will show up in the FordPass app.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
You can always post in the VIN lookup thread if you really want to know details. I'm sure you will get an update in the next few months. OTA process has no pattern to it and seems totally random which VIN gets each update. It will eventually come around to your truck.

Sponsored

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
I've only had one update on my July 22 build Platinum EB. That was Jan 2023. Nothing since then, and have checked the Request VIN Lookup several times and there have been no other updates sent to my truck.

I see people posting about updates all the time , and wonder if I'm in the minority of those that don't get any updates, or is the "no update" group the silent majority.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
If your truck is working I wouldn't worry about it.

The cool features came to 21 trucks in 2022 updates but 22 trucks left factory with those features.

Until something worth while comes along it's nothing to be concerned about.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I've only had one update on my July 22 build Platinum EB. That was Jan 2023. Nothing since then, and have checked the Request VIN Lookup several times and there have been no other updates sent to my truck.

I see people posting about updates all the time , and wonder if I'm in the minority of those that don't get any updates, or is the "no update" group the silent majority.
Don't worry. The last update I received on my 1/22 build was 3.5.4 back in September of 2022. I thought about updating it myself but figured if it's not broke don't fix it. I am going to see if the dealer can update it when I get it inspected next month but I don't have much faith they will do anything about it.

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales
to answer your question, yes set a schedule, i am not sure if it really helps or not but it will make you feel good...

I manual checked two days ago if i had an update waiting and said no, then in the morning i woke up to an update had applied

@Blue22 the version 4.2.x updates go more stable with way less bugs.

rpold150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
if it's not broke don't fix it.
I've thought the same thing as I see some people posting that an OTA broke something. I'm someone in the software industry so I know there are more fixes than breaks in patches, so I think they're generally good. Most don't seem to have been anything significant. I am curious about the one that supposedly makes the B&O system sound better, and when they come out with BC 1.3, I'll be a lot more anxious to get that. Until then, I'm fine with sitting on the sidelines, living vicariously through others while I wait.

Sponsored

Micho523

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502a
Occupation
Engineer
I do know you are specifically not supposed to set it for midnight. Maybe you're too close? I've got mine set for 9pm daily now. Figured that's not long after I've gotten home from work, so best battery SOC.

OP
OP

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I do see there is a default option in sync to choose eveyr day at 1am. I'll either turn it off or set it to that.

Appreciate the feedback.

White Tornado

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PowerBoost White Oxford BAP
A couple of months ago I was getting ready to go back to work from lunch at home and I got the "Stop Safely Now" message. I called the Ford service here and the Tech said to make sure my truck is set up for "Remote Diagnosis" and he'd get back to me. I had to take my wife's vehicle back to work, He called me later to say my truck was just finishing an update and if I waited 2 more minutes I would have been ok.

Today on my way to a store my display was blank. When I finished shopping and started the truck I got a message that my update was successful. It said something about making 6.2 better. I have my updates scheduled for 1am everyday.

Maybe your Ford Tech can remotely tell you if you are up to date? It didn't cost me anything.

My Ford Pass App (Android) never alerts me when I have a message. I have to go into the App to see if there are any.
Sponsored