Sponsored

Are clear bras worth it?

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Do clear bras still have the sun fade issue? I had a 2008 BMW 335i that sat out in the high desert for about 4 years (living in an apartment, before I bought a house with a garage) and when I peeled the dealer installed clear-bra off because it was starting to degrade, there was slight sun fade between the exposed and unexposed paint. Professional detailer couldn't buff it out or anything, just had to throw another clear-bra on to hide it.

I am sure the materials have matured overtime, and who knows what knock-off stuff the dealer may of used. But just thought I'd bring it up.
Sponsored

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Do clear bras still have the sun fade issue? I had a 2008 BMW 335i that sat out in the high desert for about 4 years (living in an apartment, before I bought a house with a garage) and when I peeled the dealer installed clear-bra off because it was starting to degrade, there was slight sun fade between the exposed and unexposed paint. Professional detailer couldn't buff it out or anything, just had to throw another clear-bra on to hide it.

I am sure the materials have matured overtime, and who knows what knock-off stuff the dealer may of used. But just thought I'd bring it up.
The XPEL wrap protects against UV and fading. It has a 10 year guarantee against yellowing

grock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum in Star White
Yes Sir - just ordered the parts from the dealer and installed myself after watching the youtube video included in an earlier thread about the factory flaps.
Was at a PPF installer yesterday and was told the same. With my wide ass tires I need to get mud flaps as well.

Called this morning and ordered them through the dealer. Part numbers are:
ML3Z-16A550-AA (Front)
ML3Z-16A550-BA (Rear)

Here is the video that was recommended by another user (Asphaltman):

Gonna head down and pick them up right now. Will send a pic once I can install.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Do NOT use the Ford product. I made that mistake on a '17 F350. I have used both Xpel and 3M products on multiple vehicles, always go straight from dealer to detailer. I find the Xpel products to be superior, would not drive a vehicle without after having a mini require full front repaint in '05.

One recommendation is to have the entire hood done - the half-bras were popular before large-format rolls became available, but the line is insightly and the full coverage products are now available - and look a lot better. I just replaced a half-bra on my wife's '13 crystal blue Porsche with full Xpel - the old bra had multiple nicked spots where it had saved the paint but the underlying paint was still perfect - proving that the film is always a good idea.

I had 3M film go off-color on a white '14 Tesla - yellowed a bit. They admitted it was an issue and replaced - but I've never had this occur with Xpel on multiple white vehicles. Also, I see no reason to pay for full body coverage - front and leading edges is where damage occurs, as well as lift-over spots. Why do bedsides, roofs unless you have money to burn?

euchre_u

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GX460, RX350, EX35
Occupation
Old Farmer - Outstanding in my field
Can someone that's had an Xpel treatment done recently give what they got coated and how much it cost them? I'm getting WAY different price numbers locally here in the greater Houston area.

I might be on-board for something in the $1K range, but anything north of $1.5K and it's either a real squinty-side-eye or a flat-out "NO". TIA . . .

Sponsored

Airspeed00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 502 SCREW
Got Xpel PPF on the front bumper, 500 CAD. I bought the LaminX headlight protection film, DIY.

Between the two, it covers everything I want to protect.

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I used the points from buying a new F 150 to pay for the molded splash guards and a viscous dampener cartridge for the tailgate, which also covers dealer installation. Now if they would show up.... Will look into wrapping at least the front and mirror skull caps.

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
Can someone that's had an Xpel treatment done recently give what they got coated and how much it cost them? I'm getting WAY different price numbers locally here in the greater Houston area.

I might be on-board for something in the $1K range, but anything north of $1.5K and it's either a real squinty-side-eye or a flat-out "NO". TIA . . .
Here's what I was just was quoted:
We would be happy to install a Clear Bra and Window Tint on your 2021 Ford F150. There are a few main packages. The packages are listed below.

1. 18" Hood Fenders Mirrors $300
2. 18" Hood Fenders Mirrors & Full Front Bumper $700
3. The Full Hood Full Fenders Mirrors & Front Bumper $1600

To install Window Tint in your F150 it would cost $280 That would cover all of the windows except for the windshield and sunroof. Our store hours are Mon - Fri 8:30 to 5:30. If you have any other questions or would like to schedule an appointment please feel free to give us a call.

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
Here's what I was just was quoted:
We would be happy to install a Clear Bra and Window Tint on your 2021 Ford F150. There are a few main packages. The packages are listed below.

1. 18" Hood Fenders Mirrors $300
2. 18" Hood Fenders Mirrors & Full Front Bumper $700
3. The Full Hood Full Fenders Mirrors & Front Bumper $1600

To install Window Tint in your F150 it would cost $280 That would cover all of the windows except for the windshield and sunroof. Our store hours are Mon - Fri 8:30 to 5:30. If you have any other questions or would like to schedule an appointment please feel free to give us a call.

Good price

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
We paid $2200 for full hood, front bumper, front fenders, and side mirrors on my wife's Mach-E. This included the 10 year warranty where they will re-wrap it if the PPF gets chewed up with rocks.

Executive Motorsports
1208 Gessner

The Mach-E is obviously meant to be an eye catching car, so I shelled out for it. Can't convince myself to spend that much on my truck. You can buy the Xpel much cheaper than having it professionally applied, but I have never been able to get it to go on without bubbles. I finally gave up.

I'll be doing a spray on PPF from Halo-EFX on the truck once the weather cools down. I can't lay wraps but I'm plenty handy with an HVLP. I torture tested the Halo-EFX against the Xpel on a test panel, and it held up even better than the Xpel to being keyed and shot with a BB gun.

Sponsored

OP
OP

texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Silverado
We paid $2200 for full hood, front bumper, front fenders, and side mirrors on my wife's Mach-E. This included the 10 year warranty where they will re-wrap it if the PPF gets chewed up with rocks.

Executive Motorsports
1208 Gessner

The Mach-E is obviously meant to be an eye catching car, so I shelled out for it. Can't convince myself to spend that much on my truck. You can buy the Xpel much cheaper than having it professionally applied, but I have never been able to get it to go on without bubbles. I finally gave up.

I'll be doing a spray on PPF from Halo-EFX on the truck once the weather cools down. I can't lay wraps but I'm plenty handy with an HVLP. I torture tested the Halo-EFX against the Xpel on a test panel, and it held up even better than the Xpel to being keyed and shot with a BB gun.
Ha that’s where I got my 12 disc CD changer installed in my first truck, a 92 Silverado step side when I was in high school. That brings back memories. Good to se that they’re still there.

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Got Xpel PPF on the front bumper, 500 CAD. I bought the LaminX headlight protection film, DIY.

How is your XPEL ppf doing? Getting it put on soon for hood, front, skull caps, and rocker panels. Not cheap but neither are Lariats!

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White F150 XLT 5.0

Was the lamin x hard to apply? Thanks!

Airspeed00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 502 SCREW
Was the lamin x hard to apply? Thanks!
Headlights no. Taillights yes. I only covered the white part of the tails and used the centre parts to cover the white sides on the 3rd break light.

I would recommend getting a professional to install the rears if you want them completely covered.
Sponsored