Sponsored

Are clear bras worth it?

texag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Silverado
Upgrading from my 2010 Silverado who’s front end got destroyed by rock chips in CO. I’m in CA now but pretty good chance I get back to CO. Really want to try and protect my KR better than I did for the Silverado. I’m thinking about going with the one the dealer offers. Are all clear bras created equal? Is there one brand that I should seek out? Do they last and look good over time?
Sponsored

Whoskyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Most clear bras or “PPF” (paint protection film) are very good. There are a few that stand out among others, XPEL being the market leader and best and I have had great luck with 3M Scotchgard Pro. I don’t know what the dealer offers in terms of Coverage and or price or even what brand they used. I did my whole front bumper, hood and fenders on my Shelby by myself and came out fantastic. PM me if you have any questions and I can help you find the right kit. I would ask the dealer why brand it is and or how much theirs is.

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I got my King Ranch today and drove it straight to the local detailer for a full XPEL body wrap. The full wrap is $5500. They threw in a free detail of my old truck for free.

I had a partial wrap on my last F150 and it worked great for protecting the paint.

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
I have done PPF on my last three trucks and my 2021 KR PowerBoost is also covered on all painted surfaces on the front and 18" up the fenders/hood (including the Stone Gray bar in the middle of the grill), B-pillars on 4 doors, headlights, and fog lights. My wife's 2019 Escape is also done. I just did a trip to FL and back and no issues. When I traded my 2018 Lariat, it had no issues.

I paid $750 for mine at my Line-X dealer who also did my ceramic tint. It is well worth it!

Here are pictures of both of them and then close up where you can see the PPF.

Ford F-150 Are clear bras worth it? 2021 F150 Front Driver 1 - 21_05 29

Ford F-150 Are clear bras worth it? 2021 F150 & 2019 Escape Right Front

Ford F-150 Are clear bras worth it? 2019 Escape PPF

Ford F-150 Are clear bras worth it? 20210713_235208
Ford F-150 Are clear bras worth it? 2021 F150 Line-X PPF B-Pillar - 21_05 29

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Had XPEL done on front, headlights and fogs, part of hood and the b pillars. The installer suggested the b pillars as they tend to scratch very easily. After 9500 of 90% highway miles have to say it has held up well and I've killed my share of insects, not to mention caught a few rocks. Has held up very well and worth the dough. I will say I went ahead and installed the mudflaps front and back to help protect the sides. Without the flaps would have had PPF installed on the panels behind each wheel.

Sponsored

phongtngo

First Name
Phong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Hardware Quality and Reliability Manager
I would recommend not going with the dealer option and for reference, my dealership was using 3M 8mm thick self healing film. A partial front end (24" up the hood) and the other front facing components was about $1600. My highly reputable tint shop offered Suntek Ultra for half the price with that option and $1700 for FULL front (entire hood, etc). My research shows the suntek was equivalent to the 3M material, but there are other better options at a higher cost as well.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Is this really cheaper than just getting tany paint chips touched up a few years down the road? I'm interested but it seems crazy expensive; having trouble seeing a decent return on investment. If it matters, we have only paved roads where I live. I intend to keep my truck for 10 yrs, 150k miles.

Reactions: 780

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Is this really cheaper than just getting tany paint chips touched up a few years down the road? I'm interested but it seems crazy expensive; having trouble seeing a decent return on investment. If it matters, we have only paved roads where I live. I intend to keep my truck for 10 yrs, 150k miles.
I have the same thought. I plan on getting 20 years (got 19 years & 362k miles out of my last truck).

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Used to think this way as well and can certainly see your point. This is the first of my vehicles I've put PPF on. No matter how good of a touch up job I've gotten in the past never looked as good as I wanted it. On one of my cars I wound up having the front clip repainted after trying to keep up with every little chip - not worth the madness and time, not to mention the frustration of seeing more chips every time you wash the car - my last car was horrible, an 18 Mustang GT that just looked like someone fired a few shells of birdshot at the front after two years. As much time as I'm spending on the highway in the truck it was one of the first things I had done and very glad I did.

satchamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 STX
Ditto.... 5500 to wrap your car in plastic? If you got the money go for it but in my mind, that does not equate.

Sponsored

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Didn't wrap the whole truck, did the front, headlights, fogs and b pillars. Bought and installed mudflaps to help protect the sides. Nowhere near $5500. $650 for front and part of hood, $200 for B pillars. Again, well worth it in my opinion.

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Just went with the regular / plastic Ford flaps. Someone posted the part numbers in another thread along with a very helpful youtube video which saved me a ton of time.

Vspec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT PB SC LWB
Just went with the regular / plastic Ford flaps. Someone posted the part numbers in another thread along with a very helpful youtube video which saved me a ton of time.
You did the install yourself and ordered the parts from your dealer?

Platimatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 701
Yes Sir - just ordered the parts from the dealer and installed myself after watching the youtube video included in an earlier thread about the factory flaps.
Sponsored