First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4x4 2.7EB XLT SuperCab, 6.5Ft, 302a order
Occupation
Self Employed Photographer
So if I have adaptive cruise control enabled and I come to a complete stop at some lights behind another vehicle, will the truck set off of its own accord again when traffic starts moving again?

I’ve tried to test this a couple of times in traffic but the truck doesn't appear to start when traffic starts moving again. Or at least if it does it waits an unacceptably long time to do so.

Do I just need to blip the throttle to get it to start and get back upto the set speed?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
What "distance" setting do you have it set too?
Does your instrument cluster state "stopped", or "push resume"?

There's multiple things in play if you are in adaptive cruise and you have allowed the vehicle to come to a stop without your input using the brake.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bit it looks like like it largely depends on how long you’re stopped.
Indeed. In stop & go/crawl traffic it is amazing to let it do its thing, but as I mentioned above, while crawling, if flow comes to a complete halt for a period of time, my dash alerts me that I must hit the resume button to re-engage the crawl, or I guess you could say to dis-engage the brake.

If you have your distance set to the farthest setting, it does wait an uncomfortable amount of time to accelerate.

OP
OP
BritCanuck

BritCanuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If all else fails read the manual, haha!

I’m m getting a ‘stopped’ notification which means I have to manually pull away when traffic starts moving again.

Sponsored

Boscom39

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2.7EB XLT SCREW 4x4
If you are seeing “stopped”, you are letting ACC stop you, so all you should have to do is hit the cruise resume button and you’ll be on your way. No manual throttle tapping or manual accelerating needed.

My only peeve with ACC is if a car up ahead is turning right and ACC deems it to be stopped/slow even though it’s way up there, it’ll hit the brakes even though it would normally be out of the way in time. If I have the family in the truck they look at me like I forgot how to drive. Ive stopped using it when driving around town for that reason but I love it when I’m on the highway.

OP
OP
BritCanuck

BritCanuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If you are seeing “stopped”, you are letting ACC stop you, so all you should have to do is hit the cruise resume button and you’ll be on your way. No manual throttle tapping or manual accelerating needed.

My only peeve with ACC is if a car up ahead is turning right and ACC deems it to be stopped/slow even though it’s way up there, it’ll hit the brakes even though it would normally be out of the way in time. If I have the family in the truck they look at me like I forgot how to drive. Ive stopped using it when driving around town for that reason but I love it when I’m on the highway.

Ok will have to check if the stopped message changes when the car in front pulls away, and see if I can press resume to restart. Thanks.

Boscom39

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don’t believe the “stopped” message will change at all when the car pulls away and you’ll just sit there. It may say “press to resume” though. I just hit the resume button when the car in front of me starts to move and it takes care of the rest.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I've been on those surface streets that seem to flow 30-45mph and I like to use cruise to learn how the computer efficiently accelerates and brakes. But the funny thing is, there can be 3 lanes with 2 empty and I will get in the one with a car in front of me approaching a light so the cruise will take care of the braking, instead of the empty ones where the cruise would run a red light. It's as if I'm playing a game and using brakes means "I lose".

This truck has so many ways to stupidly entertain myself when driving...

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i had no idea truck would do this....
i am unsure if i can let it stop itself .thats asking a big trust from me.

now i have to see if can do it.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i had no idea truck would do this....

now i have to see if can do it.
I learned to treat the truck like it has a student driver in it and I am the instructor vigilant and ready to intervene.

As the student driver earns my trust incrementally, after I witness it make the decisions that are appropriate for the many many different circumstances that are confronted, I am less anxious.

At this point I am impressed! The student doesn't make decisions quite as efficiently as I can, nor does it seem to anticipate nearly as well as a seasoned driver, but it's a much better driver than I once believed. :)

This truck is a HOOT to drive

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I learned to treat the truck like it has a student driver in it and I am the instructor vigilant and ready to intervene.

As the student driver earns my trust incrementally, after I witness it make the decisions that are appropriate for the many many different circumstances that are confronted, I am less anxious.

At this point I am impressed! The student doesn't make decisions quite as efficiently as I can, nor does it seem to anticipate nearly as well as a seasoned driver, but it's a much better driver than I once believed. :)

This truck is a HOOT to drive
Exactly!! I love letting the "student" drive and try to only intervene by hitting the "-" on the cruise speed to start braking early when I see cars stopped ahead. Then the student is able to gracefully stop fully with good distance. I am always ready with the foot for the brakes if needed but I find "zero pedal driving" a fun way to get around, just using my thumb on +/- and steering.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Unless you are on the highway and the slight curve ahead makes the system think the large semi in the other lane is merging into your lane and throttle down while someone is following really close. Or the same as the right turn, but it's a car getting off an offramp.

I've learned to use the opposite of what's expected with regards to following distance. The faster I'm going, the lower I set the follow distance. I do supplement that with not staying behind other cars.

Personally, I'll let it slow to a stop for me for me, gradually with traffic, but a sudden stop ahead is getting the pedal. I'm not gonna be that guy on the news because the sun was in the camera's eyes and the airport nearby confused the radar, or anything equally as improbable but possible.

I do with the truck showed the brake lights come on if the truck is actually using the brakes , even if only in the Driver Assistance cluster screen. Doing it on the little truck under the Speedometer would be sweet, too. My lady's Subaru does this, and it's a nice touch.

I also wish it would do more engine braking downhill, but I get the feeling (through some simple testing) it just rides the brakes.

Boscom39

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have mine set to 1 car length on the expressway. I tried to use more but when it’s congested people tend to just keep cutting in because there is so much space while it keeps applying the brakes to maintain distance and allowing more cars in.

What I wish it would do is if I set it to 4 car lengths it would use 3 of those 4 lengths to slow the truck smoothly vs it hitting the brakes harder to maintain that length like it does with 1 car length. A human can estimate that and we do that pretty smoothly. There are other times where all that would be necessary is removing throttle and coasting instead of it applying the brakes harder to maintain a large gap.

The algorithms can definitely be polished a bit but for what it does now, it’s more than sufficient and I do enjoy the convenience (especially once I turned off the option for it to set cruise to speed limit).:)

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
i will PLAY with it this week, i have o go to dealer sometime and its a 2 lane farm road 70 mph with some "blocker" cars . good place to see how it behaves

I will say the safety stuff and driver assistance is so far pretty darn awesome in my old brain
we got caught in a sideways rain yesterday..couldnt see end of hood rain, objects blowing past us and land centering kept me in the lane as we got blasted sideways HARD before i safely stop and get off the highway
i was expecting to see cows at anytime it was that bad . OUT OF THE BLUE

its a learning experience everythime i take a long drive , always something new
Sponsored