JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
You think they might frown on this? C'mon man

The tongue weight of that trailer empty would exceed GVWR making this illegal before it was loaded. Not sure where you’re going with that…
Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I've always wanted to know from a SAFETY point of view, just which components REALLY increase the amount of weight the truck is towing?

I'm NOT talking about "carrying". That's Payload, and very much a different equation.

A transmission cooler or bigger radiator might address longevity or reliability. But they don't determine how much weight the truck can pull behind it, if you know what I mean.
I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I'm just guessing. But if I had to make an educated guess, my money would be on the brakes as being the most critical component that determines those weight ratings.

OP
OP

Marlon.02

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 2.7 Ecoboost Supercrew 5.5 Bed RWD
That's pretty far over your ratings, as far as I can tell from the discussion above.

How far are you planning on towing it? If you're just going a few miles a couple of times a year...you might be OK, as long as you're careful. Because you know that your brakes are probably not designed to stop that load in the typical stopping distance, you'd have to go slower than average and leave quite a bit more room between you and the vehicles in front of you. Plus, you'll know going into it that you're more likely to prematurely wear out some of your vehicle's components. I wouldn't recommend towing that load frequently, or to the other end of the state. And you assume any risks by doing so.
I live in Miami, i go 2 times a month to the Keys for fishing. My truck came with the trailer brake controller

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
That's pretty far over your ratings, as far as I can tell from the discussion above.

How far are you planning on towing it? If you're just going a few miles a couple of times a year...you might be OK, as long as you're careful. Because you know that your brakes are probably not designed to stop that load in the typical stopping distance, you'd have to go slower than average and leave quite a bit more room between you and the vehicles in front of you. Plus, you'll know going into it that you're more likely to prematurely wear out some of your vehicle's components. I wouldn't recommend towing that load frequently, or to the other end of the state. And you assume any risks by doing so.
This. Is mooring it an option? Slimy / wet boat launches might not be fun in a RWD truck either.
The fact that OP has a locker will help though.

ksimon123451

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
I ran your VIN in Fords towing calculator.
Here is a screen shot.
Ford F-150 2023 F150 3.5 ecoboost Max Towing capacity Screenshot 2024-01-29 154420

And here is the info on the 53A

Ford F-150 2023 F150 3.5 ecoboost Max Towing capacity Screenshot 2024-01-29 155443

Sponsored

ksimon123451

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
Seems like the only Difference is a trailer brake controller which you already have.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I live in Miami, i go 2 times a month to the Keys for fishing. My truck came with the trailer brake controller
I don't think that I would be comfortable towing such a load through Miami traffic twice a month in that vehicle. As @780 suggested, I might consider mooring it down in the keys. Maybe tow it out of harms way if a hurricane is coming, but that's more of an emergency issue, and not something that I would recommend as a typical use for your truck.

(The presence of a trailer brake controller is kind of a red herring here...It's certainly better than not having one, but those can be added to a truck for ~$100. They will help your braking ability, but they won't really affect your ratings.)

Reactions: 780

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
in total 10,000 lbs
Just curious ....
  • What is your actual tongue dead weight?
  • Do you use a Weight Distributing Hitch with that boat trailer?
  • What sort of brake system does your boat trailer have (e.g. tongue mechanical-activated 'surge' brakes; or, controller-activated electric or electric/hydraulic brakes)?

Last edited:

ksimon123451

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
Based on The ford towing Calculator the OP's truck has GCWR of 16,800 pounds.
To me it looks like his truck can handle it but cant stop it.
Then you add the Brake controller to stop the load.

I do agree that the OP might have problems trying to pull it up a wet Slimy ramp with out 4WD
and the OP will need a weight distribution hitch with that 10,000 pound load, as stated on the hitch itself.

Based on the OP's hitch specs that he posted in the first post, tongue weight cannot exceed 1,160 with a distributed hitch.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

Sponsored

HJMACC

First Name
HJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 XLT SCrew 3.5 EB, 6.5’bed, Carbonized gray
I am not a lawyer, but you are probably aware of the litigious world that we now live in. Hope you are never involved in an incident, if so, you have asked the pertinent questions,in regards to the advised limitations of your specific truck in a public forum. What you choose to do is up to you. Just food for thought.

OP
OP

Marlon.02

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 2.7 Ecoboost Supercrew 5.5 Bed RWD
Just curious ....
  • What is your actual tongue dead weight?
  • Do you use a Weight Distributing Hitch with that boat trailer?
  • What sort of brake system does your boat trailer have (e.g. tongue mechanical-activated 'surge' brakes; or, controller-activated electric or electric/hydraulic brakes)?
Electric / hydraulic brake , i have a weight dristributing hitch, how do i find the tongue dead weight ?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Electric / hydraulic brake , i have a weight dristributing hitch, how do i find the tongue dead weight ?
You can go to a scale and weigh each axle w/ and without the boat attached. The hitch weight can be extracted from those values.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
how do i find the tongue dead weight ?
Two passes on a CAT Scale
  1. First pass with just the truck including WDH and WDH bar(s)
  2. Second pass with the loaded trailer hitched but without the WDH engaged / tensioned
  3. The difference in the sum of the truck axle weights from each pass (must sum both truck axles, not compare just the truck rear axle weights) is the trailer tongue dead weight.
If you engage the WDH for the second pass, or if you compare only the truck's rear axle weights, you will not get the true trailer tongue dead weight.

Note, if you make a third pass with the WDH engaged, that will give you the load on each truck axle when towing with the WDH (compare to the REAR GAWR and FRONT GAWR on your compliance sticker).

Last edited:

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Per his vin
1706563156241.png
Mine is the same, but this is superseded by the 7,000# limit as per the tow guide. We are both capped at 7k
Sponsored