Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Bump...

I have been working with a dealer to try to understand what $1,870 buys me on the Platinum Powerboost Max Tow. They are still working on it, but here is what I see. Can anyone confirm/add/delete from this? Green boxes are what I think $1,820 buys you.

1610147786317.png
It's really ridiculous how little we get on a powerboost and they don't "prorate" the cost down. I am paying it anyway (not taking any chances) but I really hope there is *something* to that rear axle that is upgraded, as it is not the 4150# spec.
Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
It's really ridiculous how little we get on a powerboost and they don't "prorate" the cost down. I am paying it anyway (not taking any chances) but I really hope there is *something* to that rear axle that is upgraded, as it is not the 4150# spec.
I spent a lot of time texting back and forth with a dealership contact I have. She was able to confirm that there is a 3/4 float axle available on the F-150. She could not find anything from Ford that tied it to the Powerboost or specifically the the Max Towing package (at least not yet). She is going to dig in more and see if she can find the answer, as there is a possibility that the 3/4 axle is stock on the Powerboost. There should be enough PB owners on this forum now to proved that right or wrong.

As of now, if you get a Platinum w/ max tow, according to the source, you are getting a bumper, larger rear brakes and, most likely, the 3/4 float axle. Motorbiscuit and TFL have both put forth solid reporting on the 3/4 and it's availability being tied to the Max Tow.

All that being said, my assumption, and I will have her ask the parts guy if he has a price on the 3/4 float, the majority of the Max Tow has to be the axle cost. But, what do you get at the end of the day? 1,400lbs of increased towing, according to Ford's Platinum specs. Worth the money? Worth the added GVWR? Worth the reduced payload? That is the decision I am trying to make.

Last edited:

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
The 36 gallon tank alone is 88 pound option. Heavier wheels, heavier axle, bigger brakes, beefier hitch makes up the diff pretty easy.
Is the 88 lb tank option relative to the 23 gallon tank? Adding 13 gallons is 78 lbs, plus 10 lbs to enlarge the tank itself sounds right. Another 42 lbs for two enlarged brake sets, a heavy duty axle of some sort, and a strenghtened bumper / hitch mount also sounds right. I ordered max tow on mine: more brakes and stiffer / stronger frame sound like a plus. I saved weight in other items to keep my payload in a suitable range for towing a travel trailer. Mine is a hybrid: tank size is fixed regardless of tow option, so apparently I took a hit of 42 lbs. The 36 gallon guys can always put 13 gallons less in the tank and save 78 lbs! My wheels and tires did not changed for max Tow. I suspect the 4150 pound rear GARW is tire and wheel limited. I believe they factor (debate) tire load, multiply by two, and add tire / wheel weight to get an axle tire limit....

dantoosi

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
Occupation
Fabricator/Supervisor
Bump...

I have been working with a dealer to try to understand what $1,870 buys me on the Platinum Powerboost Max Tow. They are still working on it, but here is what I see. Can anyone confirm/add/delete from this? Green boxes are what I think $1,820 buys you.

1610147786317.png
Has anyone been able to confirm or deny that a 4x4 Powerboost comes with the 3/4 float axle without max trailer tow? The fact that you cannot get a powerboost without e-locker and the 9.75 HD axle only comes with e-locker combined with the 4150 rear GAWR on 4x4 powerboost and knowing the powerboost is carrying extra weight makes me think its very possible.
Sponsored