First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
What is the max trailer towing capacity of the Limited PB with class IV hitch? What is an upgraded bumper of the max towing pack as the hitch connects to the frame?

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
rcompound

rcompound

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. The 11/24/20 Revision has the answers the copy from 11/18/20 did not. Guess Ford released they missed a bit.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
What is the max trailer towing capacity of the Limited PB with class IV hitch? What is an upgraded bumper of the max towing pack as the hitch connects to the frame?

Thanks

The tow capacity is fairly meaningless. Pretty much regardless of what you are towing you will run out of payload before you run out of "tow capacity"

OP
OP
rcompound

rcompound

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Towing a race car and everything is in the trailer. So for me it is a matter of tongue weight and towing capacity. The max towing package on my 2017 with ecoboost/10 speed is awesome. I can't tell I have a trailer behind me. Judging from the specs on the PB it should not be an issue.

Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Towing a race car and everything is in the trailer. So for me it is a matter of tongue weight and towing capacity. The max towing package on my 2017 with ecoboost/10 speed is awesome. I can't tell I have a trailer behind me. Judging from the specs on the PB it should not be an issue.
What kind of trailer do you have? That will be my next purchase, would really like an enclosed trailer to tow my Evo to track events, but not sure I can get an enclosed trailer + a 3500 lb car + tools and tires and such in under the 12,400 limit. It might be close, and I really don't want to pull at the max all the time. I'll only use it 8-10 weekends a year probably, and all on pretty flat highway. Having to go with an open trailer won't be the end of the world, but enclosed would be nice for the security during the nights the trailer stays at the track and I'm across the road in the hotel.

Rgwinn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
What kind of trailer do you have? That will be my next purchase, would really like an enclosed trailer to tow my Evo to track events, but not sure I can get an enclosed trailer + a 3500 lb car + tools and tires and such in under the 12,400 limit. It might be close, and I really don't want to pull at the max all the time. I'll only use it 8-10 weekends a year probably, and all on pretty flat highway. Having to go with an open trailer won't be the end of the world, but enclosed would be nice for the security during the nights the trailer stays at the track and I'm across the road in the hotel.
Look for a used Featherlight trailer, if you can keep the trailer to under 7k you should be good;
7,000 trailer
3,500 car
500 Parts and equipment
=11,000

OP
OP
rcompound

rcompound

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Happy to offer up my experience. I have a Featherlite 20' 4916 enclosed aluminum trailer (7" inside, GVWR 9600#, 16" load range E tires, 4.8k# axles). It weighed 3200# empty including spare tire. The car weighs 3550# and in total the trailer with spare tires, tools, built in cabinets, winch, compressor, generator, 55 qt cooler, etc including the car total weight is 8400#.
The aluminum trailer is only marginally lighter but will last forever and will not rust. Steel trailers are inexpensive but depreciate quickly due to rust.

Here are the important parts (2)
1. You need a weight distribution hitch. I got an Equalizer 12000 hitch to match the truck.

https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-4-point-90-00-1201-Distribution-Included/dp/B004TR8PU2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2XNU0W9NS4FAU&dchild=1&keywords=equalizer+hitch&qid=1607970700&sprefix=equalizer+hit,aps,181&sr=8-3

You will need a shank to match your hitch (Class III or IV)

2. Invest the money in trailer tire pressure monitors. Trailer tires need to start at 80 PSI for my trailer and the TPM has been very useful in detecting slow leaks, etc.

I think you will be ok. My 2017 has the max tow package good for 12300, I never got close.

Ford F-150 Max trailer towing capacity PB Limited DSCN0634.JPG

Last edited:

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
You have anyone ride with you, have a bed cover, bed liner? All that counts against the payload number. WDH is 100 pounds, plus if you are pulling a 9-10K trailer with a car in it that could easily drop 1200 pounds on your hitch.

1200 Pound hitch weight,
100 pound WDH
45 pound bedliner
70 pound cover
200 pound driver

You could need over 1600 pounds of payload with just the driver and no passengers. The PB limited I saw a payload sticker for had ~1350 payload making it way under spec for your needs.

OP
OP
rcompound

rcompound

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Mat for the math. Let's get out the sharp pencils:

Driver per the Ford Towing Guide 11/24/20
"Maximum towing capabilities are for properly equipped vehicles with required equipment and a 150-lb. driver and passenger and vary based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, option
content and number of passengers. See label on door jamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle. For additional information, see your Ford Dealer."

Trailer Loaded per CAT scale:
8400#\tongue weight 850#

Recap:
850 Pound hitch weight,
100 pound WDH
45 pound bedliner
70 pound cover
Included driver & passenger
1065# - so in my case it works, just close.

Thanks

Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Thanks Mat for the math. Let's get out the sharp pencils:

Driver per the Ford Towing Guide 11/24/20
"Maximum towing capabilities are for properly equipped vehicles with required equipment and a 150-lb. driver and passenger and vary based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, option
content and number of passengers. See label on door jamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle. For additional information, see your Ford Dealer."

Trailer Loaded per CAT scale:
8400#\tongue weight 850#

Recap:
850 Pound hitch weight,
100 pound WDH
45 pound bedliner
70 pound cover
Included driver & passenger
1065# - so in my case it works, just close.

Thanks

Your interpretation of that clause is incorrect. The J2807 tow test requires that a 150 pound passenger and a 150 pounds driver are included in the payload and GCWR calculation for the truck in determining the max tow capacity number. It was changed in 2019 as before that it only required a 150 pound driver in the calculation. The payload sticker on your truck does not include any passenger or cargo weight and must not be exceeded. You must certainly include the weight of the driver and the passenger along with all other occupants and cargo in the calculation. The truck ford used to generate the "tow" numbers is generally a very striped down model that has little to no options, not your fully loaded dressed out limited. They also use a perfectly balanced trailer that can have exactly 10% tongue weight and a cheap garbage WDH that weighs almost nothing.

OP
OP
rcompound

rcompound

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Matt,
Are you in SAE? I could only find a Feb 2020 revision, before that 2016. If you are engineer with Ford that would make this conversation fact and not opinion. If you are then I have a few more questions.

I appreciate the exchange.

Tim

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Matt,
Are you in SAE? I could only find a Feb 2020 revision, before that 2016. If you are engineer with Ford that would make this conversation fact and not opinion. If you are then I have a few more questions.

I appreciate the exchange.

Tim
I typoed the year before it was 2016 they revised it. I do not work for Ford. Normally weight is not an opinion but a fact in most peoples opinion...

OP
OP
rcompound

rcompound

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
I typoed the year before it was 2016 they revised it. I do not work for Ford. Normally weight is not an opinion but a fact in most peoples opinion...

OP
OP
rcompound

rcompound

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired