2023 F150 3.5 ecoboost Max Towing capacity

ksimon123451

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
Mine is the same, but this is superseded by the 7,000# limit as per the tow guide. We are both capped at 7k
Based on fords documentation the 53A package that you and the OP didn't get is 3 things.
Brake controller.
Led Tail lights.
Trailer Backup assist.

The only thing holding you back from towing more than 7,000 pounds is being able to stop that load.
Sponsored

ksimon123451

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
Disclaimer. This is all based on my research and understanding.
Please only tow with what you are Comfortable and safe with.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Mine is the same, but this is superseded by the 7,000# limit as per the tow guide. We are both capped at 7k
I stole ford's magic wand, you're now free to tow appropriately w/ hitch and TBC.
Ford F-150 2023 F150 3.5 ecoboost Max Towing capacity fords wand

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I stole ford's magic wand, you're now free to tow appropriately w/ hitch and TBC.
fords wand.gif
I deny your magic, I shall obey my corporate overlords

OP
OP

Marlon.02

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 2.7 Ecoboost Supercrew 5.5 Bed RWD
Based on fords documentation the 53A package that you and the OP didn't get is 3 things.
Brake controller.
Led Tail lights.
Trailer Backup assist.

The only thing holding you back from towing more than 7,000 pounds is being able to stop that load.
My truck has a trailer brake contoller sir

Sponsored

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Brake controller.
Led Tail lights.
Trailer Backup assist.

Well, those are 3 things that differentiates the two packages. It may not be the ONLY 3 things that are different.

My guess is that there are more differences that Ford chooses not to spell out in that document, given the differences in pricing between 53A and 53B+Brake Controller option purchases (roughly $1000). I don't think that LED tail lights and backup assist can account for all of that extra cost.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
My guess is that there are more differences that Ford chooses not to spell out in that document, given the differences in pricing between 53A and 53B+Brake Controller option purchases (roughly $1000). I don't think that LED tail lights and backup assist can account for all of that extra cost.
While you may be correct insofar as undocumented differences (I suggested the possibility in an earlier post), I can't help but point out ....
  • There's often little straight-line relationship between "cost" of an option (what it costs Ford to add) and the "price" of an option (what a consumer is asked to pay for the add, aka the MSRP).
  • Part of the "price" of an option is often the dollars the market will bear for an intangible associated with the option (e.g. a higher tow rating).
Is Ford capable of 'gaming' tow ratings just to sell more high-priced options? Or maybe capable of 'deceit' by omission of certain information (e.g. omitting mention that 53B+67T is capable of safely towing the same weight as 53A)?

Well, some folks (perhaps @HammaMan ?) certainly think so, arguing that they have identified all of the underlying / undocumented pertinent facts in support of that. It may be very difficult for we mere mortals to disprove that notion (perhaps, just perhaps, because it's true ?!?).

:unsure:

Last edited:

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
It's just, we've skinned this horse already.

Reactions: 780

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The good news is that with the Payload limitations of a 1/2 ton truck, 7000#'s is a lot closer to the self-imposed limit most people tow anyway, regardless of the silly marketing hype of Tow Capacity.

Emphasis on "most"

I personally don't believe there's any undiscovered, mysterious components that are hidden onboard and qualify the official increase beyond that 7000# barrier.
Or put another way, I think it's absolutely possible to retrofit the components missing that make up the Tow package one desires.
It just won't be official.

And that makes it a personal decision. As stated by several already.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
I keep thinking about those Miami Boat Ramp Videos where the boat overwhelms the tow vehicle on the slippery ramp.

Ford F-150 2023 F150 3.5 ecoboost Max Towing capacity 1706630889873

But he had a trailer brake controller...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
While you may be correct insofar as undocumented differences (I suggested the possibility in an earlier post), I can't help but point out ....
  • There's often little straight-line relationship between "cost" of an option (what it costs Ford to add) and the "price" of an option (what a consumer is asked to pay for the add, aka the MSRP).
  • Part of the "price" of an option is often the dollars the market will bear for an intangible associated with the option (e.g. a higher tow rating).
Is Ford capable of 'gaming' tow ratings just to sell more high-priced options? Or maybe capable of 'deceit' by omission of certain information (e.g. omitting mention that 53B+67T is capable of safely towing the same weight as 53A)?

Well, some folks (perhaps @HammaMan ?) certainly think so, arguing that they have identified all of the underlying / undocumented pertinent facts in support of that. It may be very difficult for we mere mortals to disprove that notion (perhaps, just perhaps, because it's true ?!?).

:unsure:
Gents - isn't there a white sticker on the hitch under the truck that shows the towing limit with and with a wdh? I would go check mine but currently driving across the country!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Gents - isn't there a white sticker on the hitch under the truck that shows the towing limit with and with[out] a wdh?
The sticker on the receiver hitch (which is not VIN-specific and may be used on many truck configurations) indicates the receiver limits; that may be different from the overall truck's rated limits in Ford's view.

For example (and FWIW), the receiver sticker on my truck indicates a max gross trailer weight of 14,000# with WDH, but Ford's rated max GTW for my truck's specific configuration is 12,300# per data in the RV & Trailer Towing Guide.

(see my sig block below for my 2022 truck configuration)

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
The sticker on the receiver hitch (which is not VIN-specific and may be used on many truck configurations) indicates the receiver limits; that may be different from the overall truck's rated limits in Ford's view.

For example (and FWIW), the receiver sticker on my truck indicates a max gross trailer weight of 14,000# with WDH, but Ford's max GTW for my truck's specific configuration is 12,300# per data in the RV & Trailer Towing Guide.

(see my sig block below for my truck configuration)
Thanks for the quick response and correct information.

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
I also have the higher hitch rating, and the configuration of my truck puts it just 100lbs under the hitch rating (with WDH). So mine is pretty close which is a bit more rare.

Doesn’t matter as I will never tow more than 7k lbs anyway. The tongue weight is what gets me.

Ford F-150 2023 F150 3.5 ecoboost Max Towing capacity IMG_6477
Sponsored