2021 F-150 Powerboost Issues

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
That was my theory as well, but when I was able to start the truck after the tow truck driver pulled it out of my driveway, I drove over the nearest gas station to put some fuel in and it started doing the same thing and died a second time in the gas station parking lot.

I'm starting to run out of patience with this, so I may have to start the lemon law process.
Me too !!!!!! I am thinking about taking the buy back option and get out of this. Just don’t know what to get after that.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
But wouldn't it kinda be a shame if all this joy sapping experience could be alleviated with a fresh 12V battery?

I realize that I can't possibly guarantee anyone that it is the culprit behind the whole fiasco, but it very well could be. There's only one way to know for sure. And you only need a 10mm closed end wrench and 5 minutes to find out. :)

OP
OP
DJH74011

DJH74011

First Name
Daniel Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Sr CAD Technician
Me too !!!!!! I am thinking about taking the buy back option and get out of this. Just don’t know what to get after that.
Before I decided on the Powerboost, I was going to go with the 5.0. A part of me is regretting that decision.
I've been driving Ford trucks for over twenty years and this is the first one I've had with numerous issues, so I won't let this one problematic F-150 deter me from purchasing another one.

OP
OP
DJH74011

DJH74011

First Name
Daniel Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr CAD Technician
I got my truck back Wednesday evening and the dealership told me the auxiliary battery isolater was bad and needed to be replaced. So far, I haven't had any issues arise since taking back possession of the truck.
I did proceed to file a lemon law claim through the BBB Thursday, so I'll see where that goes.
Thankfully, I kept all of my service records and invoices for the aftermarket parts/accessories that I had purchased/installed. Otherwise, I would've been out several thousand dollars on that alone.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Had a few voltage warnings over Thanksgiving Weekend a year ago. Lotsa family travels so I just pulled into a local NAPA dealer where I was, bought a new battery, & put it in. Didn't trade the OEM battery and had it tested by dealer, tested fine. Still have the NAPA battery in and not a peep out of the truck on this issue.

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
But wouldn't it kinda be a shame if all this joy sapping experience could be alleviated with a fresh 12V battery?

I realize that I can't possibly guarantee anyone that it is the culprit behind the whole fiasco, but it very well could be. There's only one way to know for sure. And you only need a 10mm closed end wrench and 5 minutes to find out. :)
Say it any way you want... My impression reading multiple entries in this vein, and backed up by my installing a new NAPA battery without a peep since, says that Ford had a bad batch of batteries. Nothing else adds up! :) When this stuff (Service Electrical System watnings on the road) happened to me, I had a Volt-Meter on hand and stopped and checked system voltage. It was fine (eg 12.6VDC) and not decreasing (eg battery was being floated by the electrical system). So what could have caused these warnings? Not a clue, but they went away with the replacement battery.

OP
OP
DJH74011

DJH74011

First Name
Daniel Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr CAD Technician
I figure I would post another update. I won my lemon law claim and Ford will be buying back my truck. I should be receiving a phone call from the RAV Dep't at Ford to start the buyback process in the next 2-3 weeks.

I'm going to get another F-150, but I'm not exactly sure what trim and powertrain combination I want to go with. The only thing i'm somewhat settled on is the exterior color. Rapid Red is my favorite, but Antimatter Blue and Azure Gray are making me reconsider.

takalow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I had my truck towed to another dealership in town, so hopefully they can find out what is causing all of these issues. Something is definitely wrong and it need to be addressed.

Here is the video of what I've been dealing with. Apologies for the crappy video quality and wind noise.

Hi, I'm Daniel from Norman OK :) I had a similar issue on my PB. it was software corruption in one of the modules and the dealer reflashed it and it hasn't happened since.

devern

First Name
Devern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A PowerBoost
Occupation
DevOps
Hi, I'm Daniel from Norman OK :) I had a similar issue on my PB. it was software corruption in one of the modules and the dealer reflashed it and it hasn't happened since.
Do you remember which module?The SOBDMC?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your F-150 concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored

takalow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Do you remember which module?The SOBDMC?
I do not. The service advisor I had acted like everything they do is a secret and it is difficult to get information even after I talked to the manager.

loder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
2021 Lariat Powerboost. Truck was great at first; loved the trailering features. Then I took it into the dealer about 1 year ago and they did something to screw it up: truck did not recognize trailer when plugging it it, could not set thee enhanced BLIS for having the trailer, and no brake controller. Went to the dealer several times and they never fixed it. Then found a tech who knew what he was doing. Worked with Ford corporate tech for 3 days to resolve the issue: the previous techs loaded non-Powerboost software updates to the truck. This new tech loaded the correct software updates, and everything worked like it did the first 6 months.

Fast forward to now. Took it into the dealer (a different dealer, as they bought the one I'd gone to) for 20K checkup and oil change and guess what: no trailering features! Just like before.

Took it back to this new dealer and told them they messed up the trailering features. They denied they did anything to the truck that would cause this. I reminded them that under the previous dealer, I had the same issue, it was caused by the wrong software, and it was then fixed with the proper software.

This new service rep, and one of the techs who popped-in, said it was impossible to load the wrong software. That when the truck is hooked up, the VIN determines what software the truck uses. I reminded them about the wrong software that the previous tech reported, and they said that he had lied to me.

I paid $180 for them to diagnose the truck (because they said it worked fine when they previously released it), and all they could come back was some BS that, because I have trailer sway control, that the brake controller gain control is, by design, not functional.

I know that that brake gain controller had worked, as I'd set it myself, and then tested the trailer.

And I've hooked up the truck to 4 different trailers now. The truck recognized a trailer was connected because it told me that cross-traffic alert and BLIS was disabled. But nothing popped up on the screen- nor could I find it in the settings and features- to set up a new trailer.

So my questions: can the wrong (meaning non-poewerboost) software be loaded to my truck? What if Ford has my VIN as a non-Powerboost truck? How can I check?

Did the previous tech lie to me? or do these new techs know nothing about Powerboost?

And, is what the new tech said correct: that the trailer brake controller gain control is supposed to not be functional because I have trailer anti-sway?

thanks!

MR650

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Blk/Blk
I have the 2021 PB Platinum

This is an interesting post. I’ve received battery warnings that do not show up in the mobile app alert log and yet they triggered the wrench dash light and a notice to the driver. That seems like a bug.. if something’s important enough to notify a driver in the vehicle why isn’t it in the alert log?

now I have the following
1) multiple power train malfunction warnings
2) the 110 passenger side plug doesn’t always provide power.
3) there is a louder than usual scraping or wizzing sound when coasting down from 30mph to 10mph sounds like some friction on a rotating part. Idk

I dropped it at the dealership today.
52k miles purchased new.

Last edited:

MR650

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update on this. The dealer called and is looking at this today (Friday) and probably into next week BUT

they estimated the cost of diagnosing (not fixing) to be about $660??
unless some of the items are under warranty. This is the Bay Area, northern CA but WTF.

I assume you just plug it into the computer and read some codes. IDK. I’ll update when I know more.

MR650

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the 2021 PB Platinum

This is an interesting post. I’ve received battery warnings that do not show up in the mobile app alert log and yet they triggered the wrench dash light and a notice to the driver. That seems like a bug.. if something’s important enough to notify a driver in the vehicle why isn’t it in the alert log?

now I have the following
1) multiple power train malfunction warnings
2) the 110 passenger side plug doesn’t always provide power.
3) there is a louder than usual scraping or wizzing sound when coasting down from 30mph to 10mph sounds like some friction on a rotating part. Idk

I dropped it at the dealership today.
52k miles purchased new.
The update is that the 12v battery failed its test and needs to be replaced

Some problem with the right rear hub assembly. They are replacing that

some problem with the driver side front hub as well; I think it’s an IWE problem replacing hub gear or something. I need more detail on that one.

this is after having a different issue and having the rear differential bearing replaced.

and all of recalls.
Sponsored

Last edited: