Sponsored

2021 F-150 XLT Powerboost body shop concern

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
Bought my F-150 Powerboost about 4 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago hit a deer at about 30 mph, front passenger side. Not a big deal. It's common in this region.

At first glance it looked minor. A body shop was recommended by the dealer so I trusted them and put it in for repair.

What looked like minor damage turned out to be over $5k. No issues with the alignment so really just cosmetic from my perspective.

However, as we wait for parts I drove by early this morning to see if it was left outside in the overnight wet rain/snow. I found it was and several locations were left exposed including the driver side door (which had no damage) where they removed the mirror and window framework. Windows were all closed.

I could see the snow and rain collecting down inside the door and mirror cavity. I aslo could see wiring for the window exposed.

Trying to keep calm about this I contacted management. He said; "Its not a concern nothing is going to be damaged. Aluminum doesn't rust and the wiring is all covered."

But clearly the door panel on the inside of the truck is being exposed from rain on the outside if the framework is not in place?

Not being an expert on this, does anyone have thoughts? Is there no risk for damage leaving this vehicle out in the rain and snow for days with all this exposed?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I would be concerned about it, regardless of it being a Powerboost. It's bad practice to leave a partly dis-assembled vehicle exposed to the elements.

OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
I would be concerned about it, regardless of it being a Powerboost. It's bad practice to leave a partly dis-assembled vehicle exposed to the elements.
I've contacted my insurance agent and she says absolutely not right to leave it exposed outside. Being a Powerboost and aluminum body I dont know if those points are relevant.

What I dont want to do is get mad at the body shop and have them react by delaying and whatever else they can do to screw with someone complaining.

Thanks.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Water gets inside the doors of all vehicles. That's why they all have drain holes along the bottom.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Bought my F-150 Powerboost about 4 weeks ago, 2 weeks ago hit a deer at about 30 mph, front passenger side. Not a big deal. It's common in this region.

At first glance it looked minor. A body shop was recommended by the dealer so I trusted them and put it in for repair.

What looked like minor damage turned out to be over $5k. No issues with the alignment so really just cosmetic from my perspective.

However, as we wait for parts I drove by early this morning to see if it was left outside in the overnight wet rain/snow. I found it was and several locations were left exposed including the driver side door (which had no damage) where they removed the mirror and window framework. Windows were all closed.

I could see the snow and rain collecting down inside the door and mirror cavity. I aslo could see wiring for the window exposed.

Trying to keep calm about this I contacted management. He said; "Its not a concern nothing is going to be damaged. Aluminum doesn't rust and the wiring is all covered."

But clearly the door panel on the inside of the truck is being exposed from rain on the outside if the framework is not in place?

Not being an expert on this, does anyone have thoughts? Is there no risk for damage leaving this vehicle out in the rain and snow for days with all this exposed?

Thanks.

Believe it or not, water makes it past the trim piece on the bottom of the window all the time. That is why there are drain holes in the bottom of the door. They are not watertight. There is a plastic membrane installed on the door inner before the trim panel is installed. Water is not making it inside the truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
Believe it or not, water makes it past the trim piece on the bottom of the window all the time. That is why there are drain holes in the bottom of the door. They are not watertight. There is a plastic membrane installed on the door inner before the trim panel is installed. Water is not making it inside the truck.
Okay, so there should be no concern with wiring as well. I'm going to at least document it with on the insurance claim in case there is a issue with that door.

If the shop manager says there is no concern, and a couple of you already say its not, then I'm gonna let it go.

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
Okay, so there should be no concern with wiring as well. I'm going to at least document it with on the insurance claim in case there is a issue with that door.

If the shop manager says there is no concern, and a couple of you already say its not, then I'm gonna let it go.
with your door open you can see 4 or 5 drain slots along the bottom edge of the inner door skin to drain moisture. not an issue.

OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
Thanks for the feedback. I added these notes to the inusrance claim for future protection and will leave it at that. When I do get the truck back I'll have learned more about it for sure.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

The only thing I would be concerned with is the connector that plugs into the mirror. It should be blown out with compressed air to make sure there is no water in it. I'm sure the shop will do it, but if you feel concerned about it you could easily check it.

OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
The only thing I would be concerned with is the connector that plugs into the mirror. It should be blown out with compressed air to make sure there is no water in it. I'm sure the shop will do it, but if you feel concerned about it you could easily check it.
Okay, thanks for the insight.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I'd suggest getting a couple of photos of the door covered in snow and rain, then as you noted, get it on the record with the insurance adjuster so that if there's any issue, you've got some hope of cooperation.
I wouldn't worry about long term problems – door window outer trim doesn't protect much, but I'd check to be sure the door drains are open and not clogged with grit or leaves.
I'd give the body shop a visit and ask them to seal up the car. Any half way decent body shop will tape over any openings and put sheet plastic over open windows/hood, etc. It's not ok to be leave disassembled vehicles out in the elements – it's not the way the car was built or tested, so "unknowns" creep into the vehicle (from actually creepy crawlies to leaves and dirt in places that would normally remain clean and dry.)

OP
OP
f150powerboost

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
I'd suggest getting a couple of photos of the door covered in snow and rain, then as you noted, get it on the record with the insurance adjuster so that if there's any issue, you've got some hope of cooperation.
I wouldn't worry about long term problems – door window outer trim doesn't protect much, but I'd check to be sure the door drains are open and not clogged with grit or leaves.
I'd give the body shop a visit and ask them to seal up the car. Any half way decent body shop will tape over any openings and put sheet plastic over open windows/hood, etc. It's not ok to be leave disassembled vehicles out in the elements – it's not the way the car was built or tested, so "unknowns" creep into the vehicle (from actually creepy crawlies to leaves and dirt in places that would normally remain clean and dry.)
Good advice. I'm not gonna worry about until it gets finished. Then I can see if things look okay. Just a bit tramatic seeing a new truck treated like a old truck. Not overreacting was my main concern.
Sponsored