First Name
Daniel Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Sr CAD Technician
Hello everyone. I'm a long time lurker and a first time poster on this site. I have a 2021 F-50 Lariat with the Powerboost Hybrid and I had to have my truck towed to the dealership for the second time in the last two months due to numerous mechanical and electrical issues. My instrument cluster lit up like a Christmas tree and the truck literally went dead shortly after.

Attached are the 12 or so health alerts I received on my FordPass App shortly therafter. I'll try to post the 90 second video I managed to record.

Has anyone else on this site experienced issues similar to this?

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Powerboost Issues 23-0405 Health Alert 1

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Powerboost Issues 23-0405 Health Alert 2

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Powerboost Issues 23-0405 Health Alert 3

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Powerboost Issues 23-0405 Health Alert 4

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Powerboost Issues 23-0405 Health Alert 5
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
What did the dealership state the issue was the first time?

OP
OP
DJH74011

DJH74011

First Name
Daniel Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr CAD Technician
What did the dealership state the issue was the first time?
Unfortunately, there have been multiple trips made to the dealership and everytime they were unsuccessful in identifying whats causing these issues to occur. They would perform a diagnostic scan and the scan would return no trouble codes. They did update the PCM each time, but I don't think that has solved anything.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very strange that they state they don't have codes, yet you have a full ensemble of FordPass App warnings.

I believe they do find codes. At least those that are parallel to what triggers the FordPass alerts. But I'm not shocked that they didn't decipher a cause or solution.

It could be something as serious as a faulty Hybrid Drive Unit or Battery, or as simple as a harness or connector in the High Voltage system.

Even a faulty 12V battery on a Powerboost can wreak havoc on the computers/modules and lead to what appears as electronic catastrophe.

If I had to guess, someone is going to have to desire to dig deeper than just a scan, and they would need at least a basic understanding of the Powerboost and how it is put together. You might assume that every dealership would have staff with the training and knowledge necessary, but all evidence is that many do not.

OP
OP
DJH74011

DJH74011

First Name
Daniel Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr CAD Technician
I had my truck towed to another dealership in town, so hopefully they can find out what is causing all of these issues. Something is definitely wrong and it need to be addressed.

Here is the video of what I've been dealing with. Apologies for the crappy video quality and wind noise.

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Even a faulty 12V battery on a Powerboost can wreak havoc on the computers/modules and lead to what appears as electronic catastrophe.
Start here!

There have been a number of reports here of 2021 PB trucks with similar crazy issues caused by failing 12V batteries. I don't understand why, but IIRC they don't show as bad when tested.

Ask (beg?) the dealer to drop a new 12V battery in to see if it solves the problem(s).

If it does, you've just saved the dealer a good chunk of time (yourself as well).

If it doesn't, the dealer just puts it back in inventory.

Hopefully this works and you're back on the road soon!

lawduck1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Powerboost XLT on order
Check your fuses to make sure they are all seated properly. It’s probably not that, but is a simple thing to start with.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Because I had some 12VDC battery warnings while on the road, and after some hours running, I put in a new NAPA 12VDC battery. It was a Thanksgiving weekend with much family travel on the menu, so I just put in the new battery. Curiously have not had a peep out of the electrical system since. Had the OEM Ford battery tested at the dealers, one I've found reliable, and it tested just fine. However, I have concluded that Ford installed a bad batch of batteries in their 21s.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had my truck towed to another dealership in town, so hopefully they can find out what is causing all of these issues. Something is definitely wrong and it need to be addressed.

Here is the video of what I've been dealing with. Apologies for the crappy video quality and wind noise.
Hi Daniel! I can look into your F-150’s error warning concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your F-150’s VIN?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Ford Motor Company

This is the kind of member/truck owner/truck that it would be really impressive and influencial to see real progress made by your offer to assist.

It would be wonderful to see this thread end on a high note. I'm just saying. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
DJH74011

DJH74011

First Name
Daniel Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr CAD Technician
Start here!

There have been a number of reports here of 2021 PB trucks with similar crazy issues caused by failing 12V batteries. I don't understand why, but IIRC they don't show as bad when tested.

Ask (beg?) the dealer to drop a new 12V battery in to see if it solves the problem(s).

If it does, you've just saved the dealer a good chunk of time (yourself as well).

I will certainly ask my service advisor to have the mechanics to check the battery. I believe that happens to be one of the 12 or so alerts I received.

OP
OP
DJH74011

DJH74011

First Name
Daniel Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr CAD Technician
I was notified this morning that my truck will be sitting at the dealership for another week before they even touch it. To say that I'm pissed off would be an understatement.....

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just can't lean on the dealership these days unless there's no other choice.
At least not like I did in the past.

They can literally steal all the potential joy of ownership and leave you with........ Well, I think you know what I mean.

I'm not saying that there might not be a serious issue with the truck that only an authorized factory service center could address, but I'm sceptical.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Start here!

just here to add that these were all resolved by replacing both 12V batteries on my Powerboost

with that said, OP, I will be interested to see the resolution on your truck - I feel there may be an additional issue by the way it A) used the 12V starter to crank in the video and b) the extremely low idle and what appears to be stalling. If I was a betting man, I’d guess there is a fuel pressure (pump maybe) issue which causes the engine to stall. As such, the hybrid battery is never getting to charge and is thus too low, with additional codes showing up because the 12V is not getting to charge off the high voltage battery given its low state of charge

Ford F-150 2021 F-150 Powerboost Issues C161FF01-2963-47D2-8819-D5FC19896744

OP
OP
DJH74011

DJH74011

First Name
Daniel Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr CAD Technician
just here to add that these were all resolved by replacing both 12V batteries on my Powerboost

with that said, OP, I will be interested to see the resolution on your truck - I feel there may be an additional issue by the way it A) used the 12V starter to crank in the video and b) the extremely low idle and what appears to be stalling. If I was a betting man, I’d guess there is a fuel pressure (pump maybe) issue which causes the engine to stall. As such, the hybrid battery is never getting to charge and is thus too low, with additional codes showing up because the 12V is not getting to charge off the high voltage battery given its low state of charge

C161FF01-2963-47D2-8819-D5FC19896744.png
That was my theory as well, but when I was able to start the truck after the tow truck driver pulled it out of my driveway, I drove over the nearest gas station to put some fuel in and it started doing the same thing and died a second time in the gas station parking lot.

I'm starting to run out of patience with this, so I may have to start the lemon law process.
Sponsored