First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The 2.7/3.0 is a beast EXCEPT for the wet belt driven oil pump. It's like a pair of 30k# test chains tied together with one strand of baling wire: the weak link is REALLY weak.
Sponsored

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Isn’t the belt made from Kevlar? That’s a pretty stout material.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Plenty of forum posts with 200k+ on the 2.7 motors. The wet belt is a minor concern. 5.0 has one too from my understanding and Ford built that to run with SC and 1k HP.

slow3v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Plenty of forum posts with 200k+ on the 2.7 motors. The wet belt is a minor concern. 5.0 has one too from my understanding and Ford built that to run with SC and 1k HP.
Correct. Time will tell on these.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Correct. Time will tell on these.
If it is concern grab ESP and drive it.
I'm not at all worried about it. By time I get to high miles I'll be looking at something else. Maybe a 2.7 hybrid by then.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
If it is concern grab ESP and drive it.
I'm not at all worried about it. By time I get to high miles I'll be looking at something else. Maybe a 2.7 hybrid by then.
Same thoughts here. It’s a Kevlar belt, not worried about it. The failures in the EcoSports 1.0L are due to it having a weird tensioner system on the belt, and from my understanding that belt is just rubber. When that tensioner fails the nubs fling off the belt and clog the oil pump.

If I could have gotten a hybrid 5.0L in 2023 I would have considered it heavily. V-4 mode would be used in pretty much all low load stop light driving as well as highway with electric supplementation. All 8 would be used for modest acceleration, towing, or heavy acceleration. With the 5.0 now I see 23 mpg on the highway, with electric supplementation for low loads I’d likely see 28-30 as it wouldn’t be bouncing between V4 and V8 modes. It would just stay in V-4 even under acceleration. The time I really want all 8 is when it’s fun time, which sport mode is programmed to do all ready anyway. Would not need to be different in a hybrid.

I really think every engine can easily be integrated to a hybrid setup. I’m for the hybrid being more of an a la carte option, it doesn’t really need to be all that special (although Ford marketing wants it to be). The 3.0 EB which is of the nano engine family all ready was hybridized for a while in the Aviator too.

Last edited:

mjwford1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150, 2010 Edge, 2005 Mustang
Occupation
Data analyst
Did anyone else notice that you can no longer get a Lariat with the 2.7L in the 2024 models? The base engine is now the Coyote.

I know I'm not the majority it seems, but when I got my "Lariat High" with Blue Cruise, Power Tailgate etc. I specifically wanted the 2.7--I wanted as many options as I could get, but with the 2.7L. I got roasted by a lot of people on the Facebook F-150 groups for wanting a "nice truck with a baby motor" or people would say "why would you spend that kinda money and not get the bigger motor, that's stupid!" But for me, it's exactly what I wanted--great power, great fuel economy (I only tow a race car to the track a dozen times a year), reliability and also some nice amenities. Heck, if I coulda gotten a Platinum with the 2.7 I would have, ha ha! Anyways, just thought I might check to see if anyone else had noticed that you can only get the 2.7L on XLTs and below now.
I've got a '23 501a with the 2.7. I had a '20 STX with the 5.0 before. I would definitely not roast you for having the 2.7. I haven't missed the 5.0. The 2.7 has gobs of power for daily driving. I DO miss the 5.0 sound though. Lol. The way I'm understanding it, the 5.0 is going to be standard on the Lariat but the 3.5 is only going to be an additional $290. For you, it may be time for a 3.5!

JScaro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat 501.5A
Occupation
Beer Drinker
Love my Lariat 2.7 with 2wd, front lift, and air bags.
I average 20mpg for my daily commute and 23-25 highway @ 75+ MPH. When I tow, average is 13MPG.
I did have to adjust the Ford "Lie O Meter" to get true MPG but these are real word numbers and I don't drive like a pansy.

Ford F-150 2.7 Dropped from Lariat trim in 2024 WhatsApp Image 2023-11-17 at 9.36.53 AM (1)

Ford F-150 2.7 Dropped from Lariat trim in 2024 WhatsApp Image 2023-11-17 at 9.36.53 AM

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
I bought a 5.0 because I wanted a 5.0. no sane reason. for 99% of my driving any one of the offered engines would serve my purpose, and if you cross compare all the motors, for regular driving around without towing etc, the specs are so close I bet most of us wouldn't know the difference.

but what really chaps me is that engine choices are going away. The gov't is driving the decisions.
so Ford just eliminates the worst offender thats hard to meet whatever stupid standards some nitwit in DC decides is best for us. they start limiting availability of certain engines, like a V8 to the point that we, as sheep, just suck it up and accept whatever comes our way.

and thats my rant for today. now get off my lawn!

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Isn’t the belt made from Kevlar? That’s a pretty stout material.
Kevlar isn't some kind of lifetime material. Drop a Kevlar plate or hang onto it past expiration and discard recommended. Unlike swapping plates in your carrier, swapping this wet belt is going to be a job and a half. May as well swap other shit while you're in there I'd imagine.

Unfortunately as I understand, both 5.0 and 2.7 have the wet belt. I love my 2.7, but the 5.0 has a much more linear and predictable power. While I do think the 2.7 gets probably like 2mpg more, neither were bad. I had a rental 2wd 5.0 ccsb sport in Florida to compare with my 2.7 4x4 ccsb. The 5.0 felt faster and more responsive, but also got like 27mpg when behaving. It's very hard to get below 24 mixed in my 2.7, with the current record being 30.2.

I'd pick the 5.0 in a perfect world. I never much preferred how turbos drive and it's just another wear item to worry about later.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I'd pick the 5.0 in a perfect world. I never much preferred how turbos drive and it's just another wear item to worry about later.
Something I didn't realize until after purchase but the traction motor in the Powerboost kinda fills the gap. It just freight trains effortlessly like a big tailwind.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
.... as I understand, both 5.0 and 2.7 have the wet belt.
Correct.

Insofar as effort to 'swap', on the 2.7 R&R of the wet belt requires, among other things, removal of the RH timing chain; on the 5.0 it requires removal of both (referencing 2022 Service Manual).

Interesting to note that there's no specified service / replacement interval for this belt in the scheduled maintenance section of the Owner's Manual for either engine. So apparently Ford does consider it a 'lifetime' belt?

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Correct.

Insofar as effort to 'swap', on the 2.7 R&R of the wet belt requires, among other things, removal of the RH timing chain; on the 5.0 it requires removal of both (referencing 2022 Service Manual).

Interesting to note that there's no specified service / replacement interval for this belt in the scheduled maintenance section of the Owner's Manual for either engine. So apparently Ford does consider it a 'lifetime' belt?
Yes it’s considered lifetime and should last just as long as the timing chains is what I’ve heard. GM’s testing on the Duramax 3.0 shows it to be unnecessary to replace. GM originally set an interval of 150k, then sent out a service bulletin to change to 200k. What they found is even the 200k belts are coming back in perfect condition. So now GM has removed the maintenance requirement altogether since the life expectancy is 250-300k miles. Ford designed theirs to be life of engine from get-go.
Sponsored