2.7 Noise

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
I read somewhere that it was a transmission fluid pump and that it's normal for these 10 speeds.
Yep, sadly it's considered normal. Several of us on here have complained to the dealer about it, and have been told it's a normal characteristic of the transmission. Drives me crazy on a very expensive new truck.
Sponsored

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SuperCrew STX 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Occupation
Software Engineer
started whining today today with 392 miles on the truck. All of a sudden this warm day idling it sounds horrible. Why would ford think this is normal for a vehicle to sound like this ?

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
started whining today today with 392 miles on the truck. All of a sudden this warm day idling it sounds horrible. Why would ford think this is normal for a vehicle to sound like this ?
Hey there! I can look into your F-150’s noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hey there! I can look into your F-150’s noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?
If this is a normal sound I doubt dealer can do anything. I will continue to see if noise gets worse or better before I go to my local dealer. If the sound gets worse or exhibits any other driving issues I will send you a message. Thanks.

FordestGump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor
Occupation
Trains
Join the club mine has been doing it since 400 miles. Going in the shop next monday for rear diff to be replaced due to vibration and they are also going to look at this issue.

Sponsored

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Join the club mine has been doing it since 400 miles. Going in the shop next monday for rear diff to be replaced due to vibration and they are also going to look at this issue.
Good luck hope they find a solution. But from what I found on the internet forums for Ford, This has been happening since 10 speed was introduced into all of Ford vehicles: Mustangs, Rangers and F150s. Confused how no other brand with 9 speed or 10 speed auto transmission makes any noise at all. Ford seems to be in denial here that this is normal due to how the gears are cut. Perhaps. But I think they made a choice to go with this product and as usual cost more to turn back.

Last edited:

FordestGump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor
Occupation
Trains
Agree. It's not normal and my last 10 sp F-150 didn't make this noise. If they can't get my truck fixed, I'll be starting the buyback and moving on.

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Agree. It's not normal and my last 10 sp F-150 didn't make this noise. If they can't get my truck fixed, I'll be starting the buyback and moving on.
It says your truck is a 2019. So its a 13th gen ?

Sponsored

CaliF150

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
I haven't updated my profile. I have a 22 Tremor
Thats a nice truck! To be honest I do love my basic F150, doubt this noise will make things worse for me as far as driving reliability. But its always good to be prepared with information. I have had Ford vehicles before and know that there are things you live with driving a Ford. Still much better compared to my Chevy Tahoe. More comfortable compared to my 2017 Tundra that was most reliable vehicle I ever owned. I just enjoy driving this vehicle.

XLT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a XLT
It’s a normal and expected side effect of the electric fluid pump and gear design. You’re going to have more odd sounds with new vehicles whether it’s fluid pump, fuel pumps, fuel injectors, etc. It is surprising that Ford doesn’t pull a GM and cover half the engine and transmission with stiff foam molded to the shape in order to dampen noise.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
It’s a normal and expected side effect of the electric fluid pump and gear design. You’re going to have more odd sounds with new vehicles whether it’s fluid pump, fuel pumps, fuel injectors, etc. It is surprising that Ford doesn’t pull a GM and cover half the engine and transmission with stiff foam molded to the shape in order to dampen noise.
I'd rather have a little noise than the retained heat of insulating everything in foam. Any noise I may hear standing outside my truck when it is idling on a quiet day is very quickly drowned out by getting in, putting it in gear, and proceeding to 3+mph.

2.7LTTF150

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
HFC Technician
I just happened to hear this tranny pump today and i have to say its not as noticeable as the video Whoskyle posted. at first i though it was like a serpentine belt type of whine...
Sponsored