2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch Power Boost

Leaf FNIAM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT Sport 2.7
So, I tried what was posted in the following video after being stuck with a partial download since January 26, 5 hours later, update was completed.

Does Anyone know if this trick works to get updates?

Vinnrox250

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F150 Limited & '21 Ford Explorer Platinum
Mine did the same as OP. I am glad I am not alone, even though it doesn't seem like there is a solution or reason for it. I still have not gotten the update. Even tried the Youtube video. Ford should be replacing my battery today, and hopefully that will help make sure truck has right voltage. Been getting the Deep Sleep mode last 3 days, so I am sure that is contributing to it not installing.

mrnavy2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Roush Ford F150 Lariat, 2017 Ford Fusion SE
Occupation
Retired
Well yesterday I checked for any update. Last I known was on 3.5.2 since October. When I checked it again yesterday all my screen said was up to date. Does not tell me the Version anymore. Today I took it into Ford to have sone work done on it including a recall and ask them to check for any Updates. Can someone please run my VIN to see if I have any Update Pending
VIN 1FTFW1E57MFB32033
Thank you again.

Ford F-150 WTF Ford? Auto Update settings blocking OTA B4886AE5-ED95-485E-9FFA-A816C9E6B158

Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Mine did the same as OP. I am glad I am not alone, even though it doesn't seem like there is a solution or reason for it. I still have not gotten the update. Even tried the Youtube video. Ford should be replacing my battery today, and hopefully that will help make sure truck has right voltage. Been getting the Deep Sleep mode last 3 days, so I am sure that is contributing to it not installing.
If you post (or PM) your VIN in this thread they can confirm/deny whether your battery State of Charge (SOC) was listed as a reason your update hasn't worked so far... https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/request-vin-lookup-thread.13393/page-91

Today is day #14 "pending" the update for me and there are many more in this thread: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/truck-sent-but-wont-download-ota-powerup-3-5-3.15053/

Vinnrox250

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F150 Limited & '21 Ford Explorer Platinum
If you post (or PM) your VIN in this thread they can confirm/deny whether your battery State of Charge (SOC) was listed as a reason your update hasn't worked so far... https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/request-vin-lookup-thread.13393/page-91

Today is day #14 "pending" the update for me and there are many more in this thread: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/truck-sent-but-wont-download-ota-powerup-3-5-3.15053/
Thank you very much! Will check those threads out. I DM'ed Jesse-Infotainment Friday, and he told me the other day that the update was about 6gb and was downloading. At that time, no SOC issue. But I wonder if the SOC cuts it off as I got a couple Deep Sleeps all last week. Ford approved the battery and put a new one in this morning. Will see if I get the update. Fingers crossed.

sallad71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302a
My truck does the same thing as OP's truck.
The battery was replaced by Ford 1-12-23.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Someone has to understand this stuff. Someone at Ford who has oversight of this process has to know what is going on or at least how it is supposed to work. That this information isn’t better communicated both to customers and dealers amazes me. In a world where so many devices update seamlessly it’s shameful. I think Ford is totally underestimating the demand from customers for this tech to function. You can’t tout this great step forward to buyers then sit silent when it appears so many people are having issues. Get the word out. Admit issues, provide guidance, suggest things owners might do to assist the process such as ensuring a full charge. (Is 80% SOC even a reasonable target? Why not 65%? Many northern buyers face cold and that does impact AGM charging). I’m sure there are a group of buyers who don’t care about this OTA stuff and some may have turned these features off entirely. I’m good with that. If you never use the heated seats it’s your choice but if you choose you just push a button. OTA is highlighted as a feature like any other and we should not have to stand on our heads to get it to work. There are a wealth of eager owners who could provide feedback if only there was an interest to work with us on refining these processes. A button that tells Ford it’s not working seems to fall short.

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
Mine does similar to the OP's. If I do a reset (hold power and forward button), it will show 3.5.3 is pending but it never loads and after a few trips driving it, the pending update goes away and it just stays blank in the update details tab. Weird.

Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
Someone has to understand this stuff. Someone at Ford who has oversight of this process has to know what is going on or at least how it is supposed to work. That this information isn’t better communicated both to customers and dealers amazes me. In a world where so many devices update seamlessly it’s shameful. I think Ford is totally underestimating the demand from customers for this tech to function. You can’t tout this great step forward to buyers then sit silent when it appears so many people are having issues. Get the word out. Admit issues, provide guidance, suggest things owners might do to assist the process such as ensuring a full charge. (Is 80% SOC even a reasonable target? Why not 65%? Many northern buyers face cold and that does impact AGM charging). I’m sure there are a group of buyers who don’t care about this OTA stuff and some may have turned these features off entirely. I’m good with that. If you never use the heated seats it’s your choice but if you choose you just push a button. OTA is highlighted as a feature like any other and we should not have to stand on our heads to get it to work. There are a wealth of eager owners who could provide feedback if only there was an interest to work with us on refining these processes. A button that tells Ford it’s not working seems to fall short.
I bet @rugedraw and others have checked 200+ trucks in the VIN check thread alone. He told me he's seeing a miserable 50% success rate for OTA updates going through as designed. There are ~16,000 members of this forum and, of course, hundreds of thousands of other owners not represented here. We have to assume that's why Ford is giving up on their proprietary in-house designed Sync system and moving on to using a Google (Android) OS in, I believe, 2024 MY vehicles...

Last edited:

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I bet @rugedraw and others have checked 200+ trucks in the VIN check thread alone. He told me he's seeing a miserable 50% success rate for OTA updates going through as designed. There are ~16,000 members of this forum and, of course, hundreds of thousands of other owners not represented here. We have to assume that's why Ford is giving up on their proprietary in-house designed Sync system and moving on to using a Google OS in, I believe, 2024 MY vehicles...
3.5.3 and 3.5.3.2 has been a coin toss as far as installation success rate, where 3.5.4 seems to always go through without issues. This particular update is not failing due to SOC issues. I have yet to see one fail due to low battery voltage in PTS. They all fail due to download issues or checksum issues where the GWM does not validate the files downloaded and the update fails. The OTA process is garbage from beginning to end.

The Android OS has been postponed, which is a good thing IMO because the last thing we need is for the engineers at Ford to have something else to work on instead of fixing what is troubling us. Mind you: We are here upset about not having full screen capability while there are countless early 2021 owners who still don't have bluecruise, cameras in motion or a plethora of other updates to the truck that improves drivability/functionality because they are stuck in OTA limbo and will never receive an update without their trucks getting some help. I was one of them until I decided to take matters into my own hands and update the truck myself. In the meantime, I'm waiting for 3.5.3 to get sent to my own truck.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have no intention to allow the fragile and/or immature state of OTA to determine whether my truck is updated or not.
But more importantly to me personally, even if OTA worked PERFECTLY and none of these threads existed, there are updates that Ford has no intention of deploying OTA.

THAT is the primary influence for me to invest in the tools to maintain the software versioning in my truck(s)

It's less than 1/2 the price of the smartphone I carry. Just a modern tool for a modern product in this brave new world. :)

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Well yesterday I checked for any update. Last I known was on 3.5.2 since October. When I checked it again yesterday all my screen said was up to date. Does not tell me the Version anymore. Today I took it into Ford to have sone work done on it including a recall and ask them to check for any Updates. Can someone please run my VIN to see if I have any Update Pending
VIN 1FTFW1E57MFB32033
Thank you again.
3.5.3 was sent to your truck on 1/26 and it has been trying to download the files since then.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
I have no intention to allow the fragile and/or immature state of OTA to determine whether my truck is updated or not.
But more importantly to me personally, even if OTA worked PERFECTLY and none of these threads existed, there are updates that Ford has no intention of deploying OTA.

THAT is the primary influence for me to invest in the tools to maintain the software versioning in my truck(s)

It's less than 1/2 the price of the smartphone I carry. Just a modern tool for a modern product in this brave new world. :)
While your math is right, OTA updates was one of the many new features of the Gen14 trucks that convinced me to dig deeper into my own wallet/finances vs buying a used Gen13 F-150. I think it's fair to notice that a mega automotive manufacturer hasn't delivered (in three years now!) reliable functionality of a key selling point of their #1 selling product.
Sponsored

Last edited: