First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
UPS
I have followed all the instructions to get the update and nothing is happening. So I went and turned off the auto updates and THERE it was! BUT....no way to actually get it to load. Watch this video and please tell me I am missing something.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oKpj5u8gwoMAFku28
Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Yep my truck does the same thing. We're in limbo land at the moment. Our vehicles have been sent 3.5.3 but they are either 1) still downloading files 2) still negotiating sign off/approval of said files from Ford mothership servers (this apparently can take a while) or 3) stuck at some step and will eventually formally fail the OTA campaign (we still don't know why this happens)

The good news is that just this evening a few folks have posted that they received 3.5.3 even after the process failed 3-4 days ago, so the mothership will try again. We do not know why some (most?) trucks are successful, some aren't.

A few of us have been posting updates to this thread: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/truck-sent-but-wont-download-ota-powerup-3-5-3.15053/

Last edited:
OP
OP

dm5point0

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
UPS
Yep my truck does the same thing. We're in limbo land at the moment. Our vehicle have been sent 3.5.3 but they are either 1) still downloading files 2) still negotiating sign off/approval of said files from Ford mothership servers (this apparently can take a while) or 3) stuck at some step and will eventually formally fail the OTA campaign (we still don't know why this happens)

The good news is that just this evening a few folks have posted that they received 3.5.3 even after the process failed 3-4 days ago, so the mothership will try again. We do not know why some (most?) trucks are successful, some aren't.

A few of us have been posting updates to this thread: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/truck-sent-but-wont-download-ota-powerup-3-5-3.15053/
Thank you! I am not going crazy...at least not anymore than usual :)

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Get off the wifi. Gonna go try on my truck right now.

Edit: Still says 3.5.2 after shutting off auto updates. That's weird. See if it downloads it on cellular data.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
Agreed; from everything I'm reading it is best to disable/toggle OFF wifi in Connectivity settings. Our trucks have dedicated cell phone service through AT&T totally invisible to us (not an add-on service/charge). Some guys are swearing by driving/parking near known AT&T cell towers.

Sponsored

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
The auto update toggle is not stopping your OTA.

I have had auto update on since the day I bought my truck. I just got 3.5.3.2 and then 3.5.4 this last week.

It's all a mater of timing and then making sure you have a strong cell signal for a while during the window. I am also pretty sure you need to drive it for a good while before parking it near good cell coverage.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
The auto update toggle is not stopping your OTA.

I have had auto update on since the day I bought my truck. I just got 3.5.3.2 and then 3.5.4 this last week.

It's all a mater of timing and then making sure you have a strong cell signal for a while during the window. I am also pretty sure you need to drive it for a good while before parking it near good cell coverage.
Right, good point. The Auto Update toggle does not do anything to trigger OTA updates. All it does is prompt you whether to install already downloaded update files. Turning it off does not prohibit updates from reaching your truck at all. Turning it on does not mean you'll instantly trigger an OTA update.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Yes, but the video he posted is mighty strange. It didn't work for me, but I haven't heard or seen anything like that. Lol

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
Yes, but the video he posted is mighty strange. It didn't work for me, but I haven't heard or seen anything like that. Lol
So my truck started doing that the same day you confirmed in PTS that I was sent 3.5.3 on Tues 1/24
Pretty sure that's the first sign of it getting sent

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Unless he coincidentally got the OTA pushed to him at the very second in time he turn auto updates off. I know damn well you can't trigger OTAs, but it's mighty weird.

Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
Unless he coincidentally got the OTA pushed to him at the very second in time he turn auto updates off. I know damn well you can't trigger OTAs, but it's mighty weird.
Huh? Not following you... AFTER your truck gets sent 3.5.3 but hasn't installed yet...
Auto Updates toggled ON: You are up to date
Auto updates toggled OFF: 3.5.3 is pending
Auto Updates toggled back ON: You are up to date, and repeat...

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Enginerd
So the reason I asked you for a VIN check on Tuesday was I jumped in the truck that morning and hit Check For Updates and the old 3.5.2 updates notes that had been there since Oct were replaced with You Are Up To Date, that's when I knew something was up...

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Ah I see what you're saying. Still doesn't explain why it shows the update on his screen only when auto updates are off. Hopefully it goes thru for him.

DrTone

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Raptor, 2022 Tremor 402a
Mine did the same with showing updates pending only when automatic was off. Some good cell service time got 3.5.3.2 and 3.5.4 to install

Leaf FNIAM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT Sport 2.7
I have the exact same thing happening with my truck at the moment too. If anyone on this thread gets anywhere, PLEASE advise! Thanks, fingers crossed.
Sponsored