Wild powerboost numbers?

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
I’ve been thinking about switching to a Powerboost (from an Ecoboost). The generator capabilities are super attractive. So I checked out this used Powerboost and noticed what seem to be wild numbers for MPG and electric vs gas miles. Almost 40% of the miles were electric but the MPG is 18.9… am I crazy or does that mean they only averaged 10ish MPG when using the gas engine? And is it realistic to have that high a percentage be electric miles? I feel like I must be missing something obvious…

maybe they were doing a lot of towing? But then they wouldn’t get such a high percentage of electric miles?

9D748E81-8802-4E43-B791-B04011CA98A1.jpeg
Not sure about the engine/idle hours but I'm seeing that the electric miles are about 21.5% of total mileage.

Total miles: 29,242.8
Electric miles: 6291.6 (assuming Trip 1 has never been reset)

6291.6/29242.8 = .2151 = 21.5%
Sponsored

OP
OP
YzermanTopShelf

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
@ryanc111 I assumed the electric miles get reset when Trip 1/2 are reset, so I think that means it is ~6K out of ~9K miles were electric for Trip 1, which would be 66% of Trip 1!

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
@ryanc111 I assumed the electric miles get reset when Trip 1/2 are reset, so I think that means it is ~6K out of ~9K miles were electric for Trip 1, which would be 66% of Trip 1!
Ahhhh, gotcha, that makes sense. I would lean towards the other explanations of the overall trip 1 mileage rolling over so that is actually 19,235 or 29,235. Which actually is pretty close to the overall odometer. . .

OP
OP
YzermanTopShelf

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ahhhh, gotcha, that makes sense. I would lean towards the other explanations of the overall trip 1 mileage rolling over so that is actually 19,235 or 29,235. Which actually is pretty close to the overall odometer. . .
Yeah, that may explain the Trip 1 mileage numbers. I'm still curious about the Engine Hours vs Trip 1 time. Seems to me that Engine Hours should always be greater, but perhaps that can be reset?

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Yeah, that may explain the Trip 1 mileage numbers. I'm still curious about the Engine Hours vs Trip 1 time. Seems to me that Engine Hours should always be greater, but perhaps that can be reset?
Engine hours are only when the engine is on. The trip meter is when the ignition is on. Meaning your trip meter accumulates hours while in electric driving, when engine hours are not accumulating. Also take an idle example for instance. The engine may run 2 minutes every 30. Youd quickly add up trip hours but not engine hours that way.

as for the trip meter vs electric miles, I think the most likely answer is that the total miles rolled over. But electric miles to not equate to better mpg. So it could be 40% electric and be really poor mpg, but doubtful. I have trips over 50% electric, but they usually result in subpar mpg because any time the engine is on it’s dumping fuel to charge the battery and drive the truck

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I never reset my Trip2 on my PB.

Truck has 15,826
Trip 2: 5183.8 Total / 2763.4 Electric / MPG 16.9 (that is not a typo)
336 Engine Hours / 35 Idle Hours
Total Time: 621:43:44

I would tend to believe that my truck moves under electric power about 18% of the time. I live in a very hilly area and a good chunk of my miles are highway, where the electric hardly ever jumps in.

In regards to engine hours vs. idle, it is my understanding that engine hours is the total amount of time the engine has been on (at any rpm), while idle hours only accounts for the truck sitting at the idle rpm (stop light, parking lot, driveway, wherever you just sit still). Although I only travel 18% of my miles in electric, it shuts the motor down all the time when I stop, so it is not a stretch for me believing that truck has been "on" for 621 hours, but the engine has only been running 336.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Not to me.

I think @JEB may have an idea he has very good PowerBoost knowledge.
I’m not quite sure what the question is anymore, but the chronometer starts and runs any time the truck is in a state other than off. So, whether in accessory mode, generator mode, ICE running, electric running, it doesn’t matter—the clock is always ticking away indiscriminately until reset.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
The first picture shows a full tank and the DTE is 334 miles, that seems way off for a powerboost.

I do a lot of small trips, and my DTE at full sits around 550-575 per tank.

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
This is absolutely what it is. Looks like the first owner reset the trip when the truck had 7ish miles on it, so it has rolled over twice and is actually 29,235 miles total on that trip odometer. Electric miles are 21.5% of that total, which is very reasonable.

I reset my trip 1 when I bought my truck new with 30 miles on it, and have let that one accumulate as a "lifetime" trip over the span of 20k miles. My truck is service so I can't remember exactly how many electric miles have accumulated, but its something around 18% of the total. Mystery solved. (y)

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
I do know that if I turn off the air conditioner my truck will go a lot further on electric however, in Florida I HAVE to use the AC.

Sponsored

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
The first picture shows a full tank and the DTE is 334 miles, that seems way off for a powerboost.

I do a lot of small trips, and my DTE at full sits around 550-575 per tank.
It could be a number of reasons why its that low. Towing, using the Pro Power for extended amounts of time, etc. If I'm towing my travel trailer for long stretches, my DTE is going to be showing less than 300 after a fill up.

OP
OP
YzermanTopShelf

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Engine hours are only when the engine is on. The trip meter is when the ignition is on. Meaning your trip meter accumulates hours while in electric driving, when engine hours are not accumulating. Also take an idle example for instance. The engine may run 2 minutes every 30. Youd quickly add up trip hours but not engine hours that way.

as for the trip meter vs electric miles, I think the most likely answer is that the total miles rolled over. But electric miles to not equate to better mpg. So it could be 40% electric and be really poor mpg, but doubtful. I have trips over 50% electric, but they usually result in subpar mpg because any time the engine is on it’s dumping fuel to charge the battery and drive the truck
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for clarifying my confusion! Sounds like there is a sweet spot in terms of the % of miles that electric vs gas for maximizing mpg.

Heavishot

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F-150
The trip odometer simply drops the leading digit. It keeps accumulating mileage just without that digit.

⬆ This is your answer. ⬆

I’d be curious how it was driven. Those mpg numbers are low unless it has larger AT tires. I got 22-23 mpg on stock tires. Now getting 19-20 on 295/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

‘22Powerboost

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost, Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher
Not sure if this is related…but I know if I’m not driving aggressively, and the electric motor is doing some frequent work, my “distance to empty” miles will actually increase…the electric driving will give back some miles to the fuel range. That’s pretty neat.
Sponsored