Sponsored

Who actually uses a weight distributing hitch?

ScottBB

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Where I live I've seen thousands of people tow 8,000-10,000+ pound boats on a standard hitch. According to the Ford towing guide, anything above 5,000lbs requires a weight distributing hitch. Who actually uses one for 5,000+ pound loads? Who doesn't?

My towing experience is limited to my father in law's 31ft boat which is about 10,000lbs with the trailer. He tows it on a standard hitch on a 2008 Ram 2500, never had any problems and he's had it for over 10 years
All I can say is a WDH/SB is a lifesaver at highway speeds. I refuse to pull without one and I have been pulling a long time for work. Any and every trailer I pull with any type of weight to it has one. A huge improvement in ride and a much more secure feeling when braking.
Sponsored

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
This is my very limited experience with a WDH, and my Lariat Powerboost. I have previously towed a variety of trailers, rented travel trailers, horse trailers, limited amounts of hay and some other miscellaneous small trailers with other TVs. We picked up our first travel trailer, a Winnebago 2100BH in Amarillo last Saturday. I had the dealer install an EAZ WDH.

We then towed it 390 miles back home across the panhandle through NM over Raton pass to Colorado Springs.
The trip started out good enough, only some normal west Texas wind and dust devils. Traveled at 65mph, some in tow haul mode some in normal. Went up the pass easily. No issues with acceleration at all. The uphill and downhill curves posed no problems at all. Didn’t really notice a big difference on those long relatively flat stretches, but tow haul mode was great going down the pass as it appears to use the engine to prevent unwanted excessive acceleration The real fun started near Walsenburg on I-25 when the winds picked up and we drove through driving rain, lighting, and thunderstorm. A small car ahead of us hydroplaned into the median. I admit that made me pucker some, even though I had already slowed to a safer speed, then just south of CS we got a high wind warning and had gusts of 55 mph. I could feel the gusts hit the truck and trailer but the WDH did it’s job. While I did slow down a bit from my 65mph. I got no sway at all, just a little side bump. All in all it seems like an obstacle course for a newbie like me, but it went well and I got a nice range of driving experiences for a short trip.

To say I am happy with the performance of the truck, trailer and especially the WDH, is an understatement. I’m also happy with my decision to go with the F150 Hybrid and the 2100bh and to not push the limits of the truck with a bigger trailer. The truck and trailer makes a great combo for our outdoor recreation plans and based on my first experience towing with a WDH, I doubt I would ever tow this trailer or something similar without one.

Here’s a pic of our set up.

Ford F-150 Who actually uses a weight distributing hitch? 469BE5A7-308C-41B9-8D11-5E64FE107F28

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
btw, the trailer light check feature on the Ford Pass app is nice to have when you have to do it by yourself.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I went with a Pro Pride 3P hitch.

Very expensive I know, but my particular trailer is bad about sway. It has rear storage, tends to be light on tongue weight and the axles are very close together (I think the axle distance makes it ride more like a single axle).
Ford F-150 Who actually uses a weight distributing hitch? 61B7C42F-43E5-457D-88A3-9736D7EA12F6

And to be fair to the F150, this trailer had sway problems for me behind an (arguably old, but still…) ‘02 F250 Powerstroke.

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
Don, I can agree with you. I have the same brand of trailer as you do. It is by far the worst trailer I have ever towed. It likes to wonder, especially when a semi goes past you. I have found that some trailers don't have enough tongue weight to stop them from swaying. The more you raise the bars on the WD hitch the worse it gets. I have even tried two sway bars. I believe the manufactures keep the tongue weight down so they can be towed with a smaller vehicle. My water tank is behind the trailer axels, It is defiantly worse when it is full [40 gal.]. I have been towing it with a 2016 1/2 ton Silverado with 10 ply tires and tow pk. . I have not towed it yet with my new f-150. I hope it will be better.

Sponsored

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Our old tv couldn't use a wd hitch due to unibody. Still waiting on the truck to leave R59, but have gone out and purchased the equal-i-zer. Don't even have the truck yet (damn ramp 59) and I'm approaching $6k in "accessories". ?

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don, I can agree with you. I have the same brand of trailer as you do. It is by far the worst trailer I have ever towed. It likes to wonder, especially when a semi goes past you. I have found that some trailers don't have enough tongue weight to stop them from swaying. The more you raise the bars on the WD hitch the worse it gets. I have even tried two sway bars. I believe the manufactures keep the tongue weight down so they can be towed with a smaller vehicle. My water tank is behind the trailer axels, It is defiantly worse when it is full [40 gal.]. I have been towing it with a 2016 1/2 ton Silverado with 10 ply tires and tow pk. . I have not towed it yet with my new f-150. I hope it will be better.
The 3P has made a world of difference for me. I went from only being able to get to 60MPH in perfect conditions to being able to cruise @ 70MPH if I wanted or needed to.

Now I have to use the cruise to keep the speed from absent mindedly creeping up.

If you can pull it off, the 3P is an awesome investment!

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
For a smaller trailer look at the Anderson WDH. Takes a little getting used to but is easy once you have it figured out. Only about 60 lbs instead of 100 lbs like the friction bar style. Its adjustable based off load and you can dial it in really well. A little expensive but you don't have to deal with the bars. I use the anderson for my WDH and like it alot. You can back up without disconnecting and has sway control.

Screenshot_20210504-221832_Chrome.jpg

Just remember if you are buying a WDH with friction bars you need to know your tongue weight
I just bought the Andersen WDH for my Airstream Basecamp 20X (GVWR 4300#). Peace of mind is a big factor. Instructions on the Andersen say to disable Ford's built-in anti sway as they can end up "fighting" each other. Does anyone have any input on how simple it is to disable the F-150's anti-sway for the times I'll be towing my TT with the Andersen WDH? Thanks, folks.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just bought the Andersen WDH for my Airstream Basecamp 20X (GVWR 4300#). Peace of mind is a big factor. Instructions on the Andersen say to disable Ford's built-in anti sway as they can end up "fighting" each other. Does anyone have any input on how simple it is to disable the F-150's anti-sway for the times I'll be towing my TT with the Andersen WDH? Thanks, folks.
To disable the sway control, go in the settings under Tow - it is a toggle there.

Rich55Marshall

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum PowerBoost 4X4
Occupation
Retired custom picture framer & Apple Expert
To disable the sway control, go in the settings under Tow - it is a toggle there.
Thanks, Don! Now we’re having to wait for another delay in the delivery of our TT. Should have been July, now looks like October.

Sponsored

Arcteryx

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT FX4 Lead Foot Gray
Occupation
Engineer
By no means am I an expert however here is my thought on disabling Fords anti sway.

Andersons anti sway is passive vs fords active sway control. The hitch uses friction to prevent sway from starting. The trucks active sway will correct if the trailer begins to sway. Seems to me keeping it enabled is the fail safe. Wouldn't imagine they would be working against each other.

Going to state again I am not an expert. If I am over simplifying maybe that opens a good discussion and I can gain some further knowledge.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
By no means am I an expert however here is my thought on disabling Fords anti sway.

Andersons anti sway is passive vs fords active sway control. The hitch uses friction to prevent sway from starting. The trucks active sway will correct if the trailer begins to sway. Seems to me keeping it enabled is the fail safe. Wouldn't imagine they would be working against each other.

Going to state again I am not an expert. If I am over simplifying maybe that opens a good discussion and I can gain some further knowledge.
I agree – why would one anti-sway system interfere with another?
The vehicle controlled anti-sway handles multiple conditions and actively uses left-right rear braking to counteract sway using vehicle sensors. The hitch is effectively an acceleration damper. Perhaps the damper tends to result in sway behavior which the vehicle systems cannot process.
I've towed very large trailers with and without a sway damper and I'd generally rather a mechanical system than software intervening and working the brakes. I wonder if the brakes would be subject to overheating on a long downhill winding freeway for example, but in general, I'd rather a mechanical, predictable system rather than relying upon software.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Reese Steadi-Flex Sway Control & Weight Distribution Hitch system.

My truck is a 2021 F-150 Lariat
Load Sticker On Door = 1710 LBS
GVWR Sticker = 7150 LBS
I have no idea what the GCWR is because Ford sucks and doesn't clearly present that information anywhere. I've checked the door stickers and owners manual...nothing.

My visit to the CAT Scales....
Steer Weight = 3200 LBS
Drive Weight = 3100 LBS
Trailer Weight = 5800 LBS
Gross Weight = 12,100 LBS
Actual Truck Weight = 5700 LBS
Actual Trailer Weight = 6400 LBS
Actual Tongue Weight = 740 LBS (11.5%)

I like the Reese system, very stable and easy to install. We get a lot of wind in Nevada, the anti-sway works well.
What engine do you have?

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Recently upgraded to the BlueOx SwayPro and we are VERY satisfied!​
Originally I zeroed in on the Pro Pride 3P and was trying to justify the cost - until I discovered the 3P is 195Lbs! The Blue Ox is well under 90Lbs.​
This spring on the way home from the Four Corners area we were caught in a significant windstorm near Salt Lake City and the Blue Ox kept our trailer rock solid and directly behind our truck. Of course we slowed down (as did everyone on the interstate).​
A couple of days later I came across this auto news article from the same day we were traveling:​
Also, the Blue Ox set-up was clear & straight forward.​
-Eric​

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
FYI, my Blue Ox was under $500 from onesourcerv.com

I have no relationship or affiliation with one source other than this one purchase.
Sponsored