Sponsored

Who actually uses a weight distributing hitch?

goatlord99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Supercrew Lariat Powerboost
Any other rec's other than the anderson?
Sponsored

Coacher

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 3.5 302a
I have the e2 by Fastway for my Jayco. It’s the only one I’ve used so I can’t offer a comparison. It’s a round bar design. I’ve towed trailers through the years that drop the rear end down a few inches or more and I do find the WDH to even things out and it sure seems more comfortable.

DeliveryJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 f150
Occupation
Driver
I tow 9,000-12,000 pounds occasionally, moving around small machines on steel flatbeds. I don't use a WDH, mainly because the trailers are all setup with pintle hitches and there is no WDH for pintle setups. If it were an issue, I suppose we could send the trailers off to be refitted, but I don't see the need. At the speeds we go, sway hasn't been an issue.
Always.

Lugusthedog

First Name
Lugus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Maxtow 3.5 EB
Occupation
retired

Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Tow a 7,500lb enclosed car trailer with 850lb tongue weight. Always use a WDH, I have the Blue Ox SwayPro, easy to set up and adjust, no problem backing up and I never have any sway issues. Lots of options for different shanks, different weight bars etc.

I know some people swear by the ProPride and I'm sure it's a fantastic WDH, but IMHO $3k+ is outrageous for what you get - there are plenty of much less expensive options that do a great job of distributing weight and controlling sway effectively enough. Although, I understand why, with a $40k trailer you might want everything you can in terms of safety!

Lugusthedog

First Name
Lugus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Tow a 7,500lb enclosed car trailer with 850lb tongue weight. Always use a WDH, I have the Blue Ox SwayPro, easy to set up and adjust, no problem backing up and I never have any sway issues. Lots of options for different shanks, different weight bars etc.

I know some people swear by the ProPride and I'm sure it's a fantastic WDH, but IMHO $3k+ is outrageous for what you get - there are plenty of much less expensive options that do a great job of distributing weight and controlling sway effectively enough. Although, I understand why, with a $40k trailer you might want everything you can in terms of safety!
Take at look at the comments in the Propride FB group. The Blue OX looks similiar to an Equalizer and I am sure does a fine job in distrubuting weight and helping with sway. I ran an equalizer fir years and it was fine. Got a longer heavier TT (7500 loaded) and sway became an issue. The propride does not control sway it eliminates it. From comments in that group, the Blue Ox is the WDH most often swapped out..

smackit

First Name
Mister Smith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Reese Steadi-Flex Sway Control & Weight Distribution Hitch system.

Started by measuring the truck without anything attached.

Ford F-150 Who actually uses a weight distributing hitch? Hitch_001

Then measured with the trailer attached without the weight distribution bars.

Ford F-150 Who actually uses a weight distributing hitch? Hitch_002

Final measurement with weight distribution bars.

Ford F-150 Who actually uses a weight distributing hitch? Hitch_003

My truck is a 2021 F-150 Lariat
Load Sticker On Door = 1710 LBS
GVWR Sticker = 7150 LBS
I have no idea what the GCWR is because Ford sucks and doesn't clearly present that information anywhere. I've checked the door stickers and owners manual...nothing.

My visit to the CAT Scales....
Steer Weight = 3200 LBS
Drive Weight = 3100 LBS
Trailer Weight = 5800 LBS
Gross Weight = 12,100 LBS
Actual Truck Weight = 5700 LBS
Actual Trailer Weight = 6400 LBS
Actual Tongue Weight = 740 LBS (11.5%)

Ford F-150 Who actually uses a weight distributing hitch? Hitch_004

I like the Reese system, very stable and easy to install. We get a lot of wind in Nevada, the anti-sway works well.

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Take at look at the comments in the Propride FB group. The Blue OX looks similiar to an Equalizer and I am sure does a fine job in distrubuting weight and helping with sway. I ran an equalizer fir years and it was fine. Got a longer heavier TT (7500 loaded) and sway became an issue. The propride does not control sway it eliminates it. From comments in that group, the Blue Ox is the WDH most often swapped out..
For me, the $650 Blue Ox does the job of distributing weight and eliminating sway - its just not an issue and so it would be a waste to spend over 5x that cost on a ProPride setup. I'd suggest folks who are considering a WDH start with something similar. Maybe the point is that IF you have an issue - every truck/trailer combo is different - then the ProPride may be your best and only option to solve the problem? Cheaper than selling your F150 and buying an F250/350 I guess ....

Lugusthedog

First Name
Lugus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
For me, the $650 Blue Ox does the job of distributing weight and eliminating sway - its just not an issue and so it would be a waste to spend over 5x that cost on a ProPride setup. I'd suggest folks who are considering a WDH start with something similar. Maybe the point is that IF you have an issue - every truck/trailer combo is different - then the ProPride may be your best and only option to solve the problem? Cheaper than selling your F150 and buying an F250/350 I guess ....
Chris, I totally agree, an Equalizer/blue ox may be totally sufficient for a WDH. The cost of a Propride is a real show stopper for many. For ME, driving the same truck/trailer combo, there was not a minor difference, it was night and day as sway was eliminated.. No right or wrong answer here. I am old want to get a little older and drive thru very windy states out west.

Sponsored

goatlord99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
this may be the dumbest imagineable question...but if I buy a WDH, do I have to buy a ball seperately?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
this may be the dumbest imagineable question...but if I buy a WDH, do I have to buy a ball seperately?
It depends on the hitch. Since they don't know if you might need 2" or a 2 5/16" some (like my Reese steadi-flex) require you to buy the ball separate. I have seen others with integrated ball, usually a 2 5/16" for the heavier versions.

goatlord99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It depends on the hitch. Since they don't know if you might need 2" or a 2 5/16" some (like my Reese steadi-flex) require you to buy the ball separate. I have seen others with integrated ball, usually a 2 5/16" for the heavier versions.
thanks!

smackit

First Name
Mister Smith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Reese makes you buy the ball separate, then, when you get the ball, you get to buy a shallow socket that you'll use once in your life to tighten the recessed nut that holds the ball. :rolleyes:

fmozza

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 xlt fx4
Occupation
retired
Reese Steadi-Flex Sway Control & Weight Distribution Hitch system.

Started by measuring the truck without anything attached.

Hitch_001.jpg

Then measured with the trailer attached without the weight distribution bars.

Hitch_002.jpg

Final measurement with weight distribution bars.

Hitch_003.jpg

My truck is a 2021 F-150 Lariat
Load Sticker On Door = 1710 LBS
GVWR Sticker = 7150 LBS
I have no idea what the GCWR is because Ford sucks and doesn't clearly present that information anywhere. I've checked the door stickers and owners manual...nothing.

My visit to the CAT Scales....
Steer Weight = 3200 LBS
Drive Weight = 3100 LBS
Trailer Weight = 5800 LBS
Gross Weight = 12,100 LBS
Actual Truck Weight = 5700 LBS
Actual Trailer Weight = 6400 LBS
Actual Tongue Weight = 740 LBS (11.5%)

Hitch_004.jpg

I like the Reese system, very stable and easy to install. We get a lot of wind in Nevada, the anti-sway works well.
I have a very similar setup (identical weight too!). Thanks for posting these pics - very helpful. Out of curiousity, what is the distance from the top of the hitch to the road? I'll likely have to drop my hitch an inch or so, and was wondering what the height is. Just looking for ballpark - I know there is a dependency on wheels and tires.
Sponsored