When does Max trailer tow package get installed

Egilson1

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat powerboost
I would assume as with the bed liners, that options like the Max Trailer tow package get installed after the build date.
Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
It gets built that way on the line. No need to have it installed.

PGA

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
The Max Trailer Tow Package consists of a 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness, Class IV receiver hitch, 3.55 electronically locking rear differential, 36-gallon fuel tank, auxiliary transmission and engine oil coolers, an integrated trailer brake controller, and an upgraded front stabilizer bar. Smaller fuel tank and taller differential if it is a Powerboost. All is built into your vehicle as it progresses down the assembly line.

OP
OP
Egilson1

Egilson1

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat powerboost
Thanks for the replies.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
The Max Trailer Tow Package consists of a 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness, Class IV receiver hitch, 3.55 electronically locking rear differential, 36-gallon fuel tank, auxiliary transmission and engine oil coolers, an integrated trailer brake controller, and an upgraded front stabilizer bar. Smaller fuel tank and taller differential if it is a Powerboost. All is built into your vehicle as it progresses down the assembly line.
And a different style rear axle, different leaf spring package, in some cases a thicker frame, bigger rear brakes, different rear bumper (the structure the hitch mounts two, not the decorative caps most call the bumper), and yes it is all done on the line...unless of course when they run out of parts and it's done 3 months later.

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I would assume as with the bed liners, that options like the Max Trailer tow package get installed after the build date.
Only things in the Order Guide that are under the "Dealer Installed Options" section for each trim are actually left for the dealer. Everything else is off the line.

BitTwoSmokin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
And a different style rear axle, different leaf spring package, in some cases a thicker frame, bigger rear brakes, different rear bumper (the structure the hitch mounts two, not the decorative caps most call the bumper), and yes it is all done on the line...unless of course when they run out of parts and it's done 3 months later.
"In some cases a thicker frame" - do you know when? I've been trying to figure out why my truck weighs 1,000 lbs more than an almost identical truck where the only difference is other truck has a 5.0 (mine has 3.5 EcoBoost) and the other truck does not have Max Trailer Tow. What the heck weighs almost 1,000 lbs??? I found one source that suggested a thicker frame comes with Max Trailer Tow, but nothing else to verify that.

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
I have never seen any suggestion that there is a different frame used with Max Tow. Any extra information on this?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
... in some cases a thicker frame ....
According to the 2022 F150 eSourcebook the several different frame side-rail section dimensions (including thickness), section modulus, and yields strengths used in the F150 are associated with different cab, wheelbase, 4x2 vs 4x4, and payload package configurations.

FWIW none of those different possible frame specifications are listed as being associated with the presence or absence of the Max Tow Package according to that resource.

That notwithstanding I agree that the Max Tow Package components are installed during the normal assembly-line production process, not in any respect after-the-fact.

Last edited:

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I've been trying to figure out why my truck weighs 1,000 lbs more than an almost identical truck
Did you actually weight your truck, or are you doing math based on GVWR and payload?

What is your GVWR and payload rating on the sticker in your door jamb? For you to be 1,000 lbs heavier than another truck that appears to be the same build, they would have to have like 2,500 lbs of payload, or you have like 400 lbs. If the former, you were probably comparing to a HDPP truck and didn't notice the GVWR differences.

Sponsored

BitTwoSmokin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Did you actually weight your truck, or are you doing math based on GVWR and payload?

What is your GVWR and payload rating on the sticker in your door jamb? For you to be 1,000 lbs heavier than another truck that appears to be the same build, they would have to have like 2,500 lbs of payload, or you have like 400 lbs. If the former, you were probably comparing to a HDPP truck and didn't notice the GVWR differences.
Both, kind of. I weighed mine - it weighed 5,643 lb with roughly 220 lb of passengers & cargo. Which works out very close to the max stated payload of 1,750 (GVWR is 7,150).

The other truck I did not weigh - but the dealership had one they said had max payload of just over 2,700 lbs. It was the 5.0L engine and it didn't have the max trailer tow package. It also did not have heavy duty payload package (it was an XLT sport with 302a, so couldn't have) and GVWR was also 7,150.

I can't wrap my head around how that's even possible, especially after looking at the base curb weights in the 2022 eSourcebook - the other truck should've weighed 19 lbs more than mine, before adding options.

They are both super crew 6.5 ft box and 4x4. Both have FX4, trailer tow mirrors, sport package, and tailgate step. The only option differences are dealer's truck has the work surface (mine doesn't) and the 18" sport pkg wheels, and mine has max trailer tow, B&O sound system, power adjustable pedals, onboard scale, and 20s.

Am I missing something??

Reactions: 780

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
......... the dealership had one they said had max payload of just over 2,700 lbs. .... It also did not have heavy duty payload package (it was an XLT sport with 302a, so couldn't have) and GVWR was also 7,150.
Am I missing something??
yes, like most salespeople, they don't know jack and commonly provide misinformation.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
The other truck I did not weigh - but the dealership had one they said had max payload of just over 2,700 lbs. It was the 5.0L engine and it didn't have the max trailer tow package. It also did not have heavy duty payload package (it was an XLT sport with 302a, so couldn't have) and GVWR was also 7,150.

They are both super crew 6.5 ft box and 4x4. Both have FX4, trailer tow mirrors, sport package, and tailgate step. The only option differences are dealer's truck has the work surface (mine doesn't) and the 18" sport pkg wheels, and mine has max trailer tow, B&O sound system, power adjustable pedals, onboard scale, and 20s.
There's no way a 302A with those options has a 2,700 lbs payload. That's pretty much exactly my truck but mine has 3.5L, 360 cameras, 20's, scales, max tow, pwr pedals and fold flat storage.
My payload is 1,777lbs.
I can't see my few extra options weighing 1,000 lbs..... Tell the dealer to send you a pic of the door sticker.
Sponsored

Last edited: