Sponsored

Max Tow Package come with Trailer Backup Assist Sensor?

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
I had a pretty crappy experience purchasing my F150, (can't really expect much in this market I suppose) but I finally got mine today.

I got a Lariat 502A PowerBoost with the Max Tow Package and I thought that this would come with a trailer backup assist sensor. However, there wasn't one along with all the other adaptors and things that came with the truck. The dealer told me that they must be purchased separately if you get an F150 and only come standard with F250+. I could have sworn that when I test drove one earlier this year, there was a sensor wrapped up under the rear seats though.
Sponsored

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
I had a pretty crappy experience purchasing my F150, (can't really expect much in this market I suppose) but I finally got mine today.

I got a Lariat 502A PowerBoost with the Max Tow Package and I thought that this would come with a trailer backup assist sensor. However, there wasn't one along with all the other adaptors and things that came with the truck. The dealer told me that they must be purchased separately if you get an F150 and only come standard with F250+. I could have sworn that when I test drove one earlier this year, there was a sensor wrapped up under the rear seats though.
If you mean the black box that you mount to your trailer tongue along with cables that then connect to the truck, yeah, it comes with the F-150. I can't imagine it doesn't come with Max Tow. I don't have the Max Tow package (just standard) and mine came with it. I know some folks had to hunt around in a few storage locations on the truck (under rear seats maybe?) to find theirs. My dealer had mine in the package on the back seat. I'm wondering if your dealer might not have confused your question with the camera/tpms monitoring system? That piece, I believe is an option on the F250 and up.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
My truck doesn't include one. It also has the max tow package and was built the end off September 2021. Job 2 trucks do not get one as mentioned. Instead they use only the stickers for backup assist. The stickers are in the back of the pro backup assist book in a plastic bag in the glove compartment. I do not know which is better, but if it doesn't make a difference, the stickers are much cheaper and a smarter solution my opinion than adding a cable and sensor for every trailer.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I came here wondering the same thing. I just got my truck in and it had the stickers, which probably work just as good. You think there would have been a discount on the tow packages if it didn't come with the box. I'm sure the stickers will work just fine.

I know there was another thread talking about it, but the search function seems broken at the moment.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
Job 1 trucks came with it. Job 2 trucks don’t.
Ahh...okay that makes sense. I must have test driven a Job 1 truck. I didn't think there would be a change like that in the same model year.

Instead they use only the stickers for backup assist. The stickers are in the back of the pro backup assist book in a plastic bag in the glove compartment.
Yup, I just looked for them in that packet after reading this and found them. Thanks!

The stickers are just a black and white checkerboard pattern? For some reason I thought the stickers were more "advanced", like with a small sensor in them. But if they work, then that's fine.

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
For the Job 1 trucks, you needed an OTA update for the stickers to work - which I understand, hasn't come out yet. The "fix" for that was to use the sensor. The OTA was supposed to be Q3 if memory serves me right. For people with boat trailers that wanted to use the technology, this was important because the sensor box doesn't like getting wet.

With the Job 2 trucks not getting the sensor box, I wonder if this is a case where the software required to use the stickers is now a part of the build. We're seeing a similar discussion on another thread where people with later build trucks are getting Blue Cruise already enabled, and those waiting on an OTA are now pushed into Q1 2022. Seems possible this would be the case for this backup technology.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I have a Job 1 that came with one. TBH I don’t think the system is very good. Recently drove a trailer for the first time in 15 years and even as a relatively inexperienced trailer driver I found it easier to just do it the old fashioned way.

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
I have a job-2 F150 that either didn't come with one, or it was removed from the vehicle while it was on the lot.
I got one from another F150 owner that didn't need theirs.
Sponsored