Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
I've had two starts from stop with no gas engine use, but most of the time it needs the engine. I wish they had a more powerful motor and slightly bigger battery so it was easier to get moving from a stop.
Curious as to whether or not those of you who seem to have long electric mile trips are able to pull off a stop light in electric mode.

Perhaps it's because of my route, but I can barely creep off a stop light under electric power before my engine wants to kick on, and I'm barely pressing the throttle in in an attempt to goad as much electric power as I can.

My truck has about 1100 miles on it and we'll be taking it for a long trip this week... however interested to see what others experiences are with it.
There is an EV guide which shows a gauge of how much electrical capacity you have so you know how light or heavy you can press the accelerator pedal before gas engine kicks in. You have to accelerate extremely slowly but sometimes I can get up to 40 or so from stop on pure electric. Doesn't help my MPG on small 1-3 mile trips though. It's still around 15!
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Not to mention that it's the least efficient way to use your battery power up. Although admittedly this battery charges very quickly since it's a baby battery by EV standards.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Not to mention that it's the least efficient way to use your battery power up. Although admittedly this battery charges very quickly since it's a baby battery by EV standards.
It does fix all the issues the other engines have with auto stop start though IMO, since the Powerboost gets going immediately, before the gas engine kicks in.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It does fix all the issues the other engines have with auto stop start though IMO, since the Powerboost gets going immediately, before the gas engine kicks in.
Agreed. And with the bonus of what appears to be Ford found a way to keep oil pressure primed while the ICE is off. My previous 2 Ecoboost would bleed back to zero psi during stop/start.

I'm sure it's not as bad as it sounds since everything on top was still Wet. But I much prefer continuous oil pressure for all the plain bearings and mechanical mating surfaces.

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
Was there a specific TSB or any info I can use to send to my local dealer for the transmission flash?
Not that I know of. I just told them it shifted rough and at times hesitated when I wanted to go from a stop.
I also asked them to update all the mappings cuz it was an early build.

Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
You are correct. Try this to test his statement.

Reset one of your MPG meters while rolling. Allow it to reach about 22-24 MPG and drive a few miles at 40 until the engine turns off and goes electric. Stop the vehicle and make note of your MPG.

Then give it enough acceleration to kick the engine back on and accelerate to 40 real fast (without boost) and then let it coast/drive on electric for a long ways.

If you let the truck accelerate by hitting resume on the cruise, you will get great in town economy, and the truck always uses the engine power + electric (hybrid) to accelerate, never electric only.

Using electric only to move from a stop is really only economical if you are moving in a parking lot or in true stop and go traffic that isn’t going anywhere fast.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's a new world record!

Im guessing the return trip goes the other way, in more ways than one? :)

Niterider

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
factory worker
Finally clicked off 600 miles so I should be getting good and broke in now.

Going to work, about 13 full or near full stops and roughly 27 miles total…24.5 MPG. Roughly 24 miles on gas, the other three on full electric.

Coming home, 16 near or full stops (damm stoplights) and the same 27 miles total…25.1 MPG. This time about 23 miles was on gas and four miles ran on all electric.

Considering my 14’ Ecoboost averaged under 17 on this same trip…I’m more than happy. The 14’s 36 gal tank would last about a week and a half driving to work before I would fill it up. (Usually around 1/4 remaining) So far, after a week I still have just under 3/4 of a tank and the PB only holds 31 gallons if I remember correctly.

Sponsored

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Truckee to Carson City and back - 26 mpg overall on midgrade fuel (actually 87 since Im at altitude).

31.5 on the way down and 20.5 on the way up. Still amazes me for a powerful 6K lb brick.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
My LOM that hasn't been reset from delivery is now showing 19.9 mpg. It really likes warm weather. This truck has many short trips of 5 miles or less that really doesn't let the truck fully warm up.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Finally clicked off 600 miles so I should be getting good and broke in now.

Going to work, about 13 full or near full stops and roughly 27 miles total…24.5 MPG. Roughly 24 miles on gas, the other three on full electric.

Coming home, 16 near or full stops (damm stoplights) and the same 27 miles total…25.1 MPG. This time about 23 miles was on gas and four miles ran on all electric.

Considering my 14’ Ecoboost averaged under 17 on this same trip…I’m more than happy. The 14’s 36 gal tank would last about a week and a half driving to work before I would fill it up. (Usually around 1/4 remaining) So far, after a week I still have just under 3/4 of a tank and the PB only holds 31 gallons if I remember correctly.
My truck is at 7000 miles and mpg is improving. From day one, it never drank a tank at better than 20 mpg, more like 18, now 20+ is happening.
Run-in or break-in seems to be more like 10,000 miles (or more) and I think better fuel helps with mpg, but it's a matter of miles per dollar, not miles per gallon … if you pay 20% more to go 10% further per gallon …

Niterider

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
factory worker
if you pay 20% more to go 10% further per gallon …
It also depends on how long you own the vehicle. On a longer timeline, it takes less to cover the extra cost.

My current plan is to run this truck long enough that EV batteries have improved enough to increase range and charging availability has considerably matured.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Earlier today I stated my LOM was sitting at 19.9 since delivery. It is now 20.0 while driving today. I have just hit 4000 miles.
Sponsored