Transmission shudder

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Make sure you differentiate between real shudder and gear slap when going from load to coast or vice versa. I see that occasionally in my truck and it is objectionable only when the climb was steep and the coasting sudden at the top. I've learned to touch the gas pedal when this occurs.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I've now had 2 Powerboost and haven't experienced shudder in either.
Yet I must admit that when monitoring some primary PIDs on both there is a discernable amount of deviation between the two trucks that it's no surprise that some trucks behave differently than others.

At one point the family fleet had 4 2018 F150 3.5 Ecoboosts and I had an opportunity to drive them all. With one of them being mine and me being very familiar with it, it was noticeable that those trucks had recognizable deviations in how they rode and shifted as well. They even varied in how smooth they idled. (3.5 Ecoboost do not idle like a sewing machine)

I don't know exactly what I would do if I had discernable shudder from my truck, but I imagine that I would be relentless about getting it addressed simply because I KNOW that there are identical trucks that don't shudder.

mryan

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platnium, 2019 Audi A7
TSB performed on my 21 Limited Hybrid 3.5, it seemed to help with the 1600 rpm shudder when in gear 9 or 10, now that it has been 1000km, the shudder is back. Dealer took it back in and had a Ford engineer drive and here is what the work order says. Pretty much Live with it.

Ford F-150 Transmission shudder 1657618520255

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
It’s so curious that some people have the shudder come back and some don’t. Mine is still gone at 800 miles post TSB.
The tech did show me on their documentation where the TSB says to inform the customer some vibration/shudder may still occur and that it’s normal operation

gas mileage does definitely seem to be down though

Last edited:

Bexiga

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited PB, 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0
Occupation
Operations Supervisor
not feeling warm and fuzzy about this latest update? My truck is scheduled to go in next Monday. Will see how it goes ?

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Does anybody else notice this just when the turbos kick in, or is it just a coincidence?

Chase

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XL 3.5 Ecoboost
Does anybody else notice this just when the turbos kick in, or is it just a coincidence?
Noticed too when the turbos begin to spool in 8, 9 and 10. Can replicate every time and goes away immediately when letting off.

It’s been discussed before but anyone recently have any success with getting their truck bought back from Ford as a lemon? Have now put 400 miles on it after the update and still shudders like it never had the update even while running 93. Currently sitting at 11,500 overall with 4 repair attempts (last one being the TSB).

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Had my truck at the dealer on Friday for this issue. Supposedly neither the tech nor service manager could reproduce the shudder, so no fix was applied. NOT surprisingly, the service manager seemed frustrated at my mention of the TSB. Now I need to figure out how to reliably reproduce the shudder so I can take the service manager for a spin to show him.
These Ford dealers are worthless what did they do drive your truck around the block once and come back with oh sorry it'd normal.

I'm going in Friday if they try that crap with me I'm going to tell them I don't give a damn apply the TSB. I'm so sick and tired of these worthless service departments who are so damn braindead they can't tie their shoes without a computer telling them which foot to tie first.

RJN321

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Yes, my 22 Lariat 2.7 liter, 10 speed also does that in any gear above 6th. Anyone have a solution?
i have a 2022 F150 lariat and it rides terrible. the truck shakes at 75mph. im so upset. i feel it in the gas pedal too. any solutions?

markwoodlief

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Engineer
22 3.5 EB Built June 6th. Shudders the same way you guys are talking about. 8-10, :(.. Going in Monday.. I actually thought it was the tires at first..

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
These Ford dealers are worthless what did they do drive your truck around the block once and come back with oh sorry it'd normal.

I'm going in Friday if they try that crap with me I'm going to tell them I don't give a damn apply the TSB. I'm so sick and tired of these worthless service departments who are so damn braindead they can't tie their shoes without a computer telling them which foot to tie first.
How'd this go for you?

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Yes - the shudder is in the engine and it’s due to fuel trims under boost in overdrive gears. The trans actually has nothing to do with the shudder other than its reluctance to downshift under load.

also - checking in 3000 miles later - shudder has not returned on my Powerboost

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes - the shudder is in the engine and it’s due to fuel trims under boost in overdrive gears. The trans actually has nothing to do with the shudder other than its reluctance to downshift under load.

also - checking in 3000 miles later - shudder has not returned on my Powerboost
Is that 3,000 miles post-TSB? If so, how did you convince the dealer to apply it?

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Is that 3,000 miles post-TSB? If so, how did you convince the dealer to apply it?
Yes 3000 miles post TSB. I told them it had a shudder at highway speeds while applying load in gears 8, 9, and 10, and that I heard there was a TSB out to address it.

My paper work says cust states shudder at highway speeds in gears 8,9,10 under boost. Tech notes: verified concern found TSB 22-2224 shudder at highway speeds. Reprogrammed PCM, ABS, and SOBDMC modules per TSB. Road tested concern remedied.

Bexiga

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited PB, 2019 Honda Accord Touring 2.0
Occupation
Operations Supervisor
Latest TSB did nothing for me ! fyi
Sponsored