Transmission shudder

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
So I don't think we have a solution for the shudder under light throttle correct? So annoying it is....
Some don’t, but the TSB corrected the shudder on my Powerboost. There is no shudder left at all, even pulling 10lbs of boost in 10th gear.
Sponsored

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
Some don’t, but the TSB corrected the shudder on my Powerboost. There is no shudder left at all, even pulling 10lbs of boost in 10th gear.
Thanks! Sounds like I need to get the TSB corrected!

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Just playing devil's advocate / chief cynic....

Is it possible that the variation in success of this TSB is due to some dealers lying about actually applying the updates? Given the track record of many dealers out there, I wouldn't put it past some of them.

EDIT: And is there a way to confirm the TSB was actually performed?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I also had the TSB done and there has been no improvement whatsoever to the shuddering. I scheduled and went in for another visit for them to re-check which took 3 weeks, and they said there is nothing more they can do until Ford comes out with another update. I stopped at a different dealership to see what there experience has been and they informed me that the TSB doesn't seem to help many of their customers. They said I should call Ford's customer service and explain the problem to to them since Ford does not listen to the dealerships (really??!!). So I called and explained the problem; he said there is nothing he can do and that I need to work with the dealership. I asked if he would be letting Ford know that there is a problem and he replied that there is no way for him to do that... -- you have got to be joking!! Totally unacceptable.

Ford obviously knows there is a problem or they wouldn't have issued the TSB. If the TSB does not solve the problem, common sense would suggest that they would come out with another fix, but I won't hold my breath. Really hard for me to comprehend that a company like Ford would treat their loyal customers like this..

Sorry for the long rant...
Hey there. I can look into your F-150’s shudder concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0

Is it possible that the variation in success of this TSB is due to some dealers lying about actually applying the updates? Given the track record of many dealers out there, I wouldn't put it past some of them.

I wouldn’t be surprised. I think I said it here or somewhere else earlier, but the tech who did the TSB on mine is actually a family friend. He told me powerboosts specifically are very tedious to do this TSB on, as they have like 3 or 4 modules to update and have to be connected to a battery tender

Sponsored

Genoz

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired

I have the same suspicions.
I would like to have some proof of the application of the TSB since the person at the dealer looked at me like I was from outer space when I told him about the TSB.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Is the TSB made up of updates available in FDRS for any truck that the VIN lines up with?

If so it's easy to verify whether the updates were applied. And I'm not sure what is so tedious about it. Very straightforward and the necessity to have the truck on a battery charger is basic good practice for a vehicle that will be in accessory mode for any length of time.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Agreed, I am also waiting for a real solution. I love the truck with the exception of this issue with the transmission shudder in the higher gear ranges.
Hi there. This transmission concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Genoz

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Hi there. This transmission concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
how do i pm you?

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost

Sponsored

Genoz

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Click on the Ford avatar and select "Start coversation".
When I click on the avatar nothing happens. Nor is "Start conversation" anywhere.

jp1170

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SCREW Lariat 501A
Occupation
Sr. Systems Engineer
I'm in the same boat here...I have a 2022 Lariat SCREW 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. I have put almost 21,000 miles on it since january and have a shudder at low speeds under light throttle, a rough shudder when rolling into throttle when merging onto the interstate and passing someone, and i have an pretty constant vibration felt in the steering wheel and seats at speeds above 75 mph. I've had four sets of tires on this truck including the stock pirellis. The three aftermarket sets have all been road force balanced. Two of the aftermarket sets had bad tires that were sent back and the reason i've had so many hoping that the tires were the vibration issue at interstate speeds. The current set of Yokohama's seem to balance out great and did improve the vibration some but i think what i'm feeling now at interstate speeds is in the drive train somewhere and not the tires. I've had TSB 22-2224 done about three weeks ago and it really didn't seem to help anything. I'm not really sure what to do at this point and really i'm just counting down the days until i put enough miles on my truck to justify it's time to trade and get something else. I don't have time to be running back and forth to the dealer several times because like most of us i have to work for a living! They all seem to be booked several weeks out which is a bad sign for Ford.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I really wish Ford would release a legitimate troubleshooting technique for the dealerships to follow in order to identify what I personally believe are more than one possibility for "shudder".

The first procedure would be to drive the truck during the shudder and monitor (OBD) whatever parameters are necessary to eliminate the 10r80 from the equation. Especially the torque converter, which I'm convinced is the source for some percentage of the trucks.

jp1170

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 SCREW Lariat 501A
Occupation
Sr. Systems Engineer
I really wish Ford would release a legitimate troubleshooting technique for the dealerships to follow in order to identify what I personally believe are more than one possibility for "shudder".

The first procedure would be to drive the truck during the shudder and monitor (OBD) whatever parameters are necessary to eliminate the 10r80 from the equation. Especially the torque converter, which I'm convinced is the source for some percentage of the trucks.
I agree with you I think two of the three problems I’m having are with the torque converter. I’ve even ran a few tanks of premium 93 octane fuel through mine to see if it was maybe a miss fire or timing issue and that didn’t help any. I’m still a little lost on the vibration on the interstate. It seems to stay constant even when I let off the gas so that would suggest it’s not the torque converter and some other rotating piece. The hard part is my preferred dealer is about 30 minutes away from an interstate so it would be very time consuming and hard for them to duplicate the problem not having an interstate close to drive it on.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, eliminating the torque converter would be a big help. Then you could move on to other things.
I also think that a dealership should have a tested good set of tires/wheels to throw on a truck and at least let the customer go for a spin and report back. It just makes common sense to me to have tools, equipment, and procedures that make it more likely to actually troubleshoot reliably, rather than the woefully inadequate efforts that are being shared on the forum.
Sponsored