Topped off 3 clicks and gas spilled out everywhere

bcb97

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2020 Expedition
I am a one clicker. When the pump first shuts off, I wait about 30 seconds, and top it off. Then I'm done.
Sponsored

shalabama

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
While understanding the need to avoid overfilling the tank to prevent damaging the vapor canister, my OCD will not allow me to stop filling at first click if the sale amount is not a round number. I would rather pay for an expensive repair than shut off at $79.38 when that beautiful $80.00 round number is just a few more clicks away!
Logic be damned…..the OCD demands it!!!

Nasto

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
This thread was helpful.

I guess I'm just too used to older vehicles. How much one can take after the first click, can depend on the pump, the approach angle, different vehicles etc.

Didn't know anything about a charcoal filter that could be spoiled.
Yes, good info here. I guess I just have to work on not rounding up to the nearest $$$ after the first click. $100 looks so much better than $99.37. 😬

Old Hat

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT RCSB, 2005 ZR2 Blazer 5 sp manual
I found that no matter the fill intensity or angle of the nozzle there is almost always a little splash out when the fuel level hits the top. Not the overflow you get when going extra clicks, but I like to avoid getting even a drop on my paint. So now I listen to the level when I am able and shut it off when I hear it coming up the neck. Sometimes conditions make it so I'm not able to hear it. In this case I estimate the gallons required and just stop it there.

I also have a simple procedure (that takes 5-10 seconds longer than just yanking it out) to ensure the nozzle doesn't drip when I remove it...

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
when the pump clicks off, I'm done. depending on the temp gas expands. Overfill can cause damage in some vehicles, I'd rather not send my truck to the shop for repairs.

It's not a diesel. I used to add 2-3 gallons more in my F250, but you can do that on a diesel, tank expansion room is not needed.

Sponsored

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
While filling up my gas tank, I topped off 2 more clicks after the 1st click. After I pulled out the nozzle, an enormous amount of gas started gushing out the filler neck. If I had been standing right in front of the filler instead of on the side i would have been sprayed with gas.

I’ve been topping off 3 clicks forever with other vehicles and my new F150 is the first vehicle with gas gushing out like that.

How many clicks do you guys do?
I would stop after the first click. I've heard somewhere that doing it more than one click is bad for the system. This is just my opinion.

ScottS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Limited
Occupation
Retired
Ever since my wife's first Prius spewed gas back at me when I tried to top off the tank, I have stopped after one click - no matter what car or truck I'm filling. It turns out that the Prius has a "bladder" rather than a conventional tank and that topping off is not advised. I can't speak to the our F150 but the reaction the original poster described is very similar to what happened on the Prius. But I'm guessing there are no expandable parts in the fuel filler line?

Bobbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport, SC, Iconic Silver, 2.7
Occupation
Retired
There isn’t a car/truck manufacturer on the planet that would suggest topping off your tank is a good idea after it clicks off. Why would you, or what is your reasoning? Take 5 minutes and read your owner’s manual.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Yes, good info here. I guess I just have to work on not rounding up to the nearest $$$ after the first click. $100 looks so much better than $99.37. 😬
i use the odd numbers as lotto picks....so far its 0- wins :love:

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
As long as it's not a false click, you should not be adding anymore after the first click.

Sponsored

SingleSpeed427

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM REBEL (every option)
"No Clicks" for me.. I listen for the fuel coming up the tube and stop there (OCD FTW! lol)

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Gasoline dulls paint. Just say no to additional clicks.