• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Thoughts on adding seat heaters to XLT (standard)

MD56

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Pro or XLT 311A are pretty much my only two options given my budget constraints. I'm leaning towards XLT, mostly because the consensus seems to be that Pro's will be virtually impossible to get for normal consumers. But also, i'm one of those folks who values fit and finish, and this will be a family vehicle so want the wife to feel comfortable it in also. One things i'm bummed about is the fact that my $54k vehicle won't have heated front seats. I dont necessarily live in a cold climate, but it's one of those creature comforts that I enjoy. This would be solved by upgrading to the 312A package (along with a few other perks) but yeesh, $9.5k is a big bump.

So curious if anyone has any insight on what the implications of adding seat heaters to an EV might be? I know anything that creates heat tends to draw quite a bit of juice. Not a big deal on an ICE vehicle, maybe a big deal on an EV?
Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Heated seats are fantastic, arguably necessary, for an EV. Much more efficient warming bodies rather than the total air space of a cabin.

Given this is an F150 there should be somewhere between 1 and 10,000 aftermarket options to add heated seats to the vehicle.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Pro or XLT 311A are pretty much my only two options given my budget constraints. I'm leaning towards XLT, mostly because the consensus seems to be that Pro's will be virtually impossible to get for normal consumers. But also, i'm one of those folks who values fit and finish, and this will be a family vehicle so want the wife to feel comfortable it in also. One things i'm bummed about is the fact that my $54k vehicle won't have heated front seats. I dont necessarily live in a cold climate, but it's one of those creature comforts that I enjoy. This would be solved by upgrading to the 312A package (along with a few other perks) but yeesh, $9.5k is a big bump.

So curious if anyone has any insight on what the implications of adding seat heaters to an EV might be? I know anything that creates heat tends to draw quite a bit of juice. Not a big deal on an ICE vehicle, maybe a big deal on an EV?
Probably a lot less power than e-heat. Maybe contact Katzkin and ask them how much power their heated (and chilled) seats draw.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
A seat heater wouldn't draw much. I would be surprised if it was more than 250W as you are warming in direct contact so it cannot get super hot. If it was a 1000W heater it would get hot super fast and then shut off otherwise it would burn you.
I am hoping the heated seats are better than what I currently have on my 2011 Audi Q5 as it barely gets warm so I leave it on all year round (unless it is above 25C)

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
A seat heater wouldn't draw much. I would be surprised if it was more than 250W as you are warming in direct contact so it cannot get super hot. If it was a 1000W heater it would get hot super fast and then shut off otherwise it would burn you.
I am hoping the heated seats are better than what I currently have on my 2011 Audi Q5 as it barely gets warm so I leave it on all year round (unless it is above 25C)
Google says 40-50 watts per seat...

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired

Heated Seats actually help on EV's during the winter. Turn those bad boys on and you will consume less energy as oppose to using the HVAC system. My only concern would be tapping into an EV's electrical system, it would have to be someone who has worked on EV's before. Just for my piece of mind.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
Eng
Katskinz seat covers with heaters should set you back about $1800 installed. Tapping into the 12V side of the car is a simple task any installer should be able to handle.

Marshall

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software
Katskinz seat covers with heaters should set you back about $1800 installed. Tapping into the 12V side of the car is a simple task any installer should be able to handle.
Katskinz already mentions creating seat covers for the LIghtning on their webpage.
https://katzkin.com/what-do-you-drive/ford-f-150-leather-seats/

Lightning
The new Ford F-150 Lightning is on its way and brings with it its own slew of trim levels including the XLT and Lariat trims. This electric beast version of the Ford F-150 comes out in the Spring of 2022 and has many truck enthusiasts excited. You can rest assured that weā€™ll make and install leather seat covers in the new Lightning once almost as soon as itā€™s available. This electric truck will have a base model price of about $42,000 while the XLT trim will cost around $55,000. Design your custom Ford F-150 Lightning seat covers with us!

... and then they can add both heating and ventilation as well, taking your PRO or XLT lightning to a whole other level. This will be an early upgrade for me.
https://katzkin.com/degreez/

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I checked out some add on seat heaters on Amazon, they said 4.5 amps per side.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
FWIW, in my Bolt the current draw with nothing on is 1kW, when you turn on the seat heaters it goes to 2kW. When the HVAC is pumping out heat it's at 6-7kW. I doubt the seat heaters are a full kW but there's no decimal point in the readout so there is some rounding error.

For people in cold climates the steering wheel heater is just as necessary IMO (and also draws little power). I can drive around reasonably comfortably in winter in the Bolt with just the heated seats and steering wheel running. On a longer trip a might warm up the cabin with HVAC for a short time. Overall it doesn't hurt the range too much, whereas running the the HVAC full bore (like my GF does) saps like 15% of the range, or more. That's on top of the 15%-20% just from the lower ambient temp.

Also, keep in mind that with an EV you can warm it up while plugged in and still leave the house at full charge.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Katskinz already mentions creating seat covers for the LIghtning on their webpage.
https://katzkin.com/what-do-you-drive/ford-f-150-leather-seats/

Lightning
The new Ford F-150 Lightning is on its way and brings with it its own slew of trim levels including the XLT and Lariat trims. This electric beast version of the Ford F-150 comes out in the Spring of 2022 and has many truck enthusiasts excited. You can rest assured that weā€™ll make and install leather seat covers in the new Lightning once almost as soon as itā€™s available. This electric truck will have a base model price of about $42,000 while the XLT trim will cost around $55,000. Design your custom Ford F-150 Lightning seat covers with us!

... and then they can add both heating and ventilation as well, taking your PRO or XLT lightning to a whole other level. This will be an early upgrade for me.
https://katzkin.com/degreez/

I would hate to go aftermarket for a seat heater but if Ford is going to charge $10k it becomes a realistic option. There's nothing else in the 312A package that I *really* want aside from the seat/steering wheel heating. I could go either way on the 9.6kW but they offer that a la carte anyway.

EDIT: If you're going aftermarket to fill in the gaps where Ford is gouging people you might as well go for the Pro model. The difference in standards features between the Pro and XLT is virtually non-existent.

Last edited:

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Heated Seats actually help on EV's during the winter. Turn those bad boys on and you will consume less energy as oppose to using the HVAC system. My only concern would be tapping into an EV's electrical system, it would have to be someone who has worked on EV's before. Just for my piece of mind.
I had to add the $9500 option to my build specifically for just a few features including the heated seats and steering wheel.

In my Mach-e, Ford specifically encourages drivers to use the heated seat and steering wheel as the PRIMARY way to keep warm in winter, because the heater uses a lot more power.

Iā€™m also hoping they left out heated seats/wheel as a primary heat source because theyā€™ve improved the HVAC. As it stands now, the ā€E-Heaterā€ is not very effective, and as I said, they discourage using it and put those reminders on the screen whenever you turn it on.

That said, I want to say that the heated steering wheel is one of my FAVORITE features on the Mach-e.

When I put my hands on that warm wheel for the first time on a cold dayā€¦ WOW! I wondered how I ever drove in a cold car before.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I always thought the heated steering wheel option seemed ridiculous until i got one. Itā€™s amazing. When i remote start my Bolt it automatically turns on the heated steering wheel. Great programming by GM on that one!

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E 4x, 03 IS300, 06 Ridgeline
Many, if not most, manufacturers include or at offer heated seats in all their EVs. Not Ford ?ā€ā™‚. I interpret that as being too busy doing trim levels ā€œthe way we always haveā€ and not understanding common EV winter usage. I found the 21 CA Route 1 a very compelling package except you couldnā€™t get seat heaters. That has changed for 22.
Sponsored