First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I think almost anything will last as long as it is maintained. I had a 96 Ranger that went 385,000, a 97 ranger that had the transmission go at 360,000 with the engine still going strong. I live in New England, so the body usually fails before the powertrain. In addition to my 21 F-150, I drive an 07 Ranger with the 4.0 V6 to work almost daily. That only has 250,000 so it's still a baby!
The OHV 4.0L was a different animal than the SOHC 4.0. The SOHC timing chains were on opposite ENDS of the engine, with one sandwiched between the engine and transmission; if that went, and it ALWAYS did unless something else killed it first, that was the nail in the coffin due to the massive labor cost.
Sponsored

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
I had a 98 4.2 V6, the indestructible motor that had 300+k before I gave it up. The body rotted out before the motor gave out but that was my fault as I was a Teenager in the 2000s and didn't maintain the truck.

I never keep my vehicles longer than 1-2 years BUT this time, both my '22 5.0 and the '22 Stealth Expedition I plan on keeping a long time (albeit, the Expy is having warranty issues so young, maybe I move off it).

Regular, synthetic oil changes, regular recommended fluid changes and regularly washing/keeping the interior/exterior clean and debris free will be priority.

In my part of the globe, yearly corrosion protection applications are critical as corrosion could kill the truck before the mechanical failures would.

Truth be told, it's the electronics and tech stuff that concerns me most in terms of longevity.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You should really question yourself if disagreeing with me is "rare". 😉

I want to be an optimist regarding the phasers in this Gen3 3.5 Ecoboost. So far, so good, it appears.
But I can vouch for quite a few guys with Gen2 3.5 phasers failing on trucks during warranty and out, and they are knowledgeable Ecoboost fellas with impeccable maintenance records. (Ecoboost forum for several years. Good guys)

The biggest fear of the phaser issues, for me personally, isn't the phasers themselves, but rather the repair procedure being botched and the truck being worse off after the fact. It's way too common and would give me pause. There's a fair argument for just ignoring the "coldstart clatter" (Gen2, NOT Gen1) rather than have the motor basically ruined by the dealership. They are notorious for not being accountable for the botched job.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Isn’t the ICE engine only running 50% of the time on the PB? Seems like everyone posts pics driving and the rpm is always at 0. That might let them last longer too.
The ICE tends to turn off in the easier of conditions. It starts via a huge starter that's belt driven and has valving to keep the oil pressure up so hopefully the frequent start / stop doesn't have a meaningful impact. The biggest concern to me is that it starts and stops the engine before it's warmed up, though with exhaust heat scavenging it does get to temp faster. I'm just not a fan of seeing it do 3-4 start /stops before it's up to temp. That belt driven starter rips the engine to life though. It rocks the truck when it fires up.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I think it's still early for this 3rd version of the 3.5 Ecoboost.

Although there are lots of Gen1's in the 180,000-225,000, according to auction sites, it's not a 300k motor commonly.

The Gen2 version (2017-2020) doesn't have a legitimate sample yet, I don't think, but the escalating co$t of the phaser job will probably hurt the percentage of trucks that might be able to reach beyond 225,000, Most folks shy away from spending $4000+ on trucks with that mileage.

If the 3rd generation turns out to be a motor that would only need ONE phaser job to get to 300k, then there's a better chance to see owners keep them going. But like I mentioned, needing that procedure 3 or more times would probably stop most owners.
Will be watching this. I believe that the bypass filter I have put on my engine will make a difference. My take on these is that a slow accumulation of particulates in them eventually slows things down or stops it. So will finer filtration make a difference? Am watching and observing.

Sponsored

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost

I want to be an optimist regarding the phasers in this Gen3 3.5 Ecoboost. So far, so good, it appears.
But I can vouch for quite a few guys with Gen2 3.5 phasers failing on trucks during warranty and out, and they are knowledgeable Ecoboost fellas with impeccable maintenance records. (Ecoboost forum for several years. Good guys)

The biggest fear of the phaser issues, for me personally, isn't the phasers themselves, but rather the repair procedure being botched and the truck being worse off after the fact. It's way too common and would give me pause. There's a fair argument for just ignoring the "coldstart clatter" (Gen2, NOT Gen1) rather than have the motor basically ruined by the dealership. They are notorious for not being accountable for the botched job.
My cousin was a good ford tech for 10+ years and uses amsoil every 3500 miles. I had always wondered why such frequent oil changes having owned coyotes and multiple gm ls and genv v8 motors myself. He had multiple 3.5s in a f150 and expedition and all got the phaser clack in the end anyway which led to him trading them in. That being said I still believe the oil changes helps them. He had since moved away from the 3.5 but did tell me to get one lol

I wonder if prefilling the oil filter helps mitigate.

Last edited:

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
Economics and rust dictates the future.

I had a Honda do 250k, but rust disconnected the body from the subframe and it was Adios for that. If you live in the dry rust free zone of this country, lucky you.

It wasn't worth fixing.

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT FX4 3.5EB
Occupation
Biomedical
After reading all the comments on here and my experiences, we have not compiled data to determine which variable weights effect this engine to positive or negative. Every statement on here is based on generalized assumed quality which we have determined by countless threads and news articles that is not present in this world as it was in the past. If you move up the OEM maintenance schedule and quality of materials used, it should in principal increase longevity but have we account for inflation? This has not been a magnifying factor in the USA recently. So I believe the question is, is goal achievable without excessive cost over just replacing when broken. The only case study I heard of in regards to this question was a fleet vehicle transmission study on flushing versus run to failure. It turned out to be run to failure was more cost effective. Also, dealerships best rate of return is on maintenance and repair.

My opinion is do the best you can based on your use case and ability. All the pain being felt manufacturing is being reflected in pricing and availability. This will continue into near future. I am sorry to say there is no magic answer but case recommendations.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician

See, I'm paranoid about it too. I hear a slight rattle during cold starts, and cannot convince myself one way or the other. A big part of this issue is that the truck is so quiet, the tires rolling (BFG ATs) are louder than the powertrain whether the engine is on or off: I'd ignore this sound on any other engine. I don't want to ignore an issue that will result in the valves meeting the pistons, but I also don't want to pay a bunch of money to introduce the valves to the pistons via a marginal repair. My last vehicle was the aforementioned SOHC 4.0L Exploder, which had 225k miles on it when an Austin driver sent it to Ford heaven. I lived with the knowledge that one day, I'd hear a bunch of banging and rattling from under the hood and that would be the end. A cam phaser shouldn't be able to do that much damage, but man I got the automotive PTSD.

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
My cousin was a good ford tech for 10+ years and uses amsoil every 3500 miles. I had always wondered why such frequent oil changes having owned coyotes and multiple gm ls and genv v8 motors myself. He had multiple 3.5s in a f150 and expedition and all got the phaser clack in the end anyway which led to him trading them in. That being said I still believe the oil changes helps them. He had since moved away from the 3.5 but did tell me to get one lol

I wonder if prefilling the oil filter helps mitigate.
I don't have a good grasp of cam phasers beyond their basic job and how much of a pain they are to replace. My caveman understanding is that the Ecoboost uses MOSTLY oil pressure with some electronic control, and that the small oil passages are very sensitive to charcoal from cooked oil. Still, as others have pointed out, good oil in these engines is still perfectly fine by any objective standard at 5k miles. I don't want to spend money on the equivalent of a voodoo doll in my engine compartment, but I'm open to the idea that there could be properties that we aren't measuring (which seems odd....the SAE isn't composed of idiots and they've spent a LOT of time and money on lubricants).

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum, 2013 Mustang
Axle gear lube every 50k, transmission fluid every 50k, coolant every 100k. It’s the lubricants everyone forgets about that give you the most hard parts failures. Mercon ULV is SMOKED by 60k, change that stuff before warranty end. The book is flat out wrong these trans run hot. The stuff comes out black. I will have every fluid swapped on mine before warranty end.
This is interesting: I took my Mustang to the Ford dealer a couple of weeks ago and while I was there I asked about getting my transmission fluid and filter changed. It's got 69,000 miles on it. They told me it would cost $250, that's a lot of money, but I said I'd do it the next day. That afternoon they called me and said they'd made a mistake, it would cost $600. I told them to forget it.

I looked in my owners manual and it actually is recommended every 150,000 miles. My dealer was going to screw me, imagine that.

The interval in the F-150 manual is 150,000 miles too.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
This is interesting: I took my Mustang to the Ford dealer a couple of weeks ago and while I was there I asked about getting my transmission fluid and filter changed. It's got 69,000 miles on it. They told me it would cost $250, that's a lot of money, but I said I'd do it the next day. That afternoon they called me and said they'd made a mistake, it would cost $600. I told them to forget it.

I looked in my owners manual and it actually is recommended every 150,000 miles. My dealer was going to screw me, imagine that.

Remember that after the warranty expires, if the transmission dies it means that you're buying a new vehicle. No OEM has a direct incentive to make their vehicle last longer than the warranty period. This is especially evident when you look at big diesels, where EVERYTHING is easily maintainable.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

Bullshit (at the manual, not you). Don't go over 60k for trans fluids. Personally I suggest the suck whatever you can out of the pan ever 30k and replace w/ new fluid. You can do that pretty much until the clutches are gone and not have an issue. CVTs (typically in smaller vehicles) need full fluid replacement every 30k (not to be confused with powersport kevlar belt CVT).

I don't even run coolant past 60k. Seen too much build up occur before 100k. At 60k or 5 years every 'consumable' / maint item should get new. Plugs, lubricants, brakes (rotor off examined if not replaced sooner).
Sponsored