Sponsored

TFL Truck: The Problem with Lifted Trucks That NOBODY Is Talking About...

Murrk847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 5.0 F150 STX
I think hell will freeze over before I watch a 27 minute youtube video. Why not just say what the issue is?
Their channel is not worth watching anymore. I think longer vids are good for the "algorithm" or whatever. Their towing comparisons make less and less sense as time goes on, too.

"Ultimate towing battle!! - A 2023 RAM 3500 DRW HO Cummins vs a 2012 honda ridgline!!"

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I think hell will freeze over before I watch a 27 minute youtube video. Why not just say what the issue is?
Basically the issue is people are stupid and think they can get everything for free. They don't do the math. If you add bigger tires, lift kits, winches, accessories, etc.. all these things reduce your payload, and impact the driving, cooling, stopping, and reliability of your vehicle.

Facemelter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Space White 3.5 S-crew. 89 Mustang Notch
4 inch BDS lift kit with 20x10 wides with 33's.

Fuel mileage went down a smidge. I tow my bass boat with the truck. Stopping is perfectly fine, which is also the reason I keep up the maintenance on the brakes for the boat trailer. It essentially lifted the front back into alignment with the rest of the truck. My CV axles are just about straight from the diff to the hub.

The biggest hit some are going to take is the 6 inch plus kits with 22x14 wides and 35/37 inch tires. Unsprung weight directly affects all of the things you mentioned, fuel mileage and stopping being the two largest factors.
FWIW, I did not watch the video. lol, 27 minutes? I have more important nonsense to take care of.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Ford F-150 TFL Truck: The Problem with Lifted Trucks That NOBODY Is Talking About... DAF7DE95-6099-4299-8B57-9EF2F7A58B4D

These pearl clutching click-bait titles are the norm by now.

Wait for “This is what happens to your brain when you switch to a higher numerical ratio differential.” titles accompanied with scary fake PET scan image preview cards!

Ford F-150 TFL Truck: The Problem with Lifted Trucks That NOBODY Is Talking About... 8278161D-AF1F-453E-AAAC-DED1512F69B7

Pro tip for the long ass YouTube videos: skip the first 5min. and watch it at 2X speed. For the shorter ones: skip the first 2min. and watch at 2X speed, unless the speaker is talking at a normal conversational speed, in which 1.5X works. Too many of these bloviating blow hards love the sound of their own voice and speak in a painfully slow wedding officiant tone that drives me mad.

Worse than these videos where they’re discussing a relatively complex topic are the ones that take seven minutes while they tell you their fucking life story; when all you wanted was to know how to change a light bulb, or where the battery is located on a BMW SUV.

stevemcbo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4 Powerboost
4 inch BDS lift kit with 20x10 wides with 33's.

Fuel mileage went down a smidge. I tow my bass boat with the truck. Stopping is perfectly fine, which is also the reason I keep up the maintenance on the brakes for the boat trailer. It essentially lifted the front back into alignment with the rest of the truck. My CV axles are just about straight from the diff to the hub.

The biggest hit some are going to take is the 6 inch plus kits with 22x14 wides and 35/37 inch tires. Unsprung weight directly affects all of the things you mentioned, fuel mileage and stopping being the two largest factors.
FWIW, I did not watch the video. lol, 27 minutes? I have more important nonsense to take care of.
Towing a bass boat is not actually towing. More like pulling since there is no actual to weight speak of there. Most pickups lifted or not can handle the weights encountered with light loads like yours. To me towing is when you get above 5000 lbs plus the trailer.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I admit that I didn't even consider watching the video. But it wasn't because of the length. I wasn't aware of the length.
But I have no length limit on a video in general. Or a book. Or a good movie.
But it does have to earn my interest to keep me invested.

I think I'm more concerned with short attention span than it seems the whole world around me has developed. Folks won't read anything longer than a bumper sticker. And their focus is in 12 second increments. And man are they easily bored. 🤣🤣

Still, admittedly I no longer am drawn to the channel that triggered the creation of this thread. I like the fellas there enough, but they ran out of content that kept me coming back. It was probably inevitable.

Facemelter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Towing a bass boat is not actually towing. More like pulling since there is no actual to weight speak of there. Most pickups lifted or not can handle the weights encountered with light loads like yours. To me towing is when you get above 5000 lbs plus the trailer.
I would think a tandem axle trailer with a 21 foot bass boat on top of it with total combined weight nearing 5k (dry) without all my tourney gear, would be considered towing. Its not a lawn mower.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems

Facemelter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Now we need pictures of the boat! Sparkling paint and monster outboards never get old 🤩
Let me see if I have any on my phone. Boat is an absolute mess right now. Just replaced one of the bearings on the braking axle. SUPER amounts of fun. And I'm headed to Lake Chickamauga next week, so I have 18 rods and gear just sprinkled all over the deck. lol

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Basically the issue is people are stupid and think they can get everything for free. They don't do the math. If you add bigger tires, lift kits, winches, accessories, etc.. all these things reduce your payload, and impact the driving, cooling, stopping, and reliability of your vehicle.
These are many of the reasons I’ve never lifted a truck or put bigger tires on it. The concept is very simple but eludes most people.

the first time I ever thought about it was about 12 years ago I was down in Florida and drove by a broken down Tundra with a huge lift and huge tires and a blown transmission with trans fluid all over the ground.

stevemcbo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4 Powerboost
I would think a tandem axle trailer with a 21 foot bass boat on top of it with total combined weight nearing 5k (dry) without all my tourney gear, would be considered towing. Its not a lawn mower.
Maybe I am just used to pulling a light loaded trailer (less than 5000 lbs) all the time and my braking, turning, and driving speed and habits fall into place when I hook up. So to me that is not towing.

I don't see a beneficial reason for adding lifts bigger that 2" on a $50,00 plus truck. If I need to travel rough places then I drag out the 4 wheeler.

Facemelter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Now we need pictures of the boat! Sparkling paint and monster outboards never get old 🤩
Edited to add.
This boat just came off the Ohio River and its gross...
Ford F-150 TFL Truck: The Problem with Lifted Trucks That NOBODY Is Talking About... 1000000658
Ford F-150 TFL Truck: The Problem with Lifted Trucks That NOBODY Is Talking About... 1000000661
Sponsored