Sponsored

TFL Truck: The Problem with Lifted Trucks That NOBODY Is Talking About...

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Off-topic, but what video length do you guys like best? The algorithm doesn't care about video length by the way. It focuses on watch time, the click-through rate on the thumbnail, and viewer "signals" aka likes, comments, etc...
Are YouTube channels lucrative? Is there a threshold where they turn positive?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
This last part has me curious since I run a channel as well and worry about losing people's interest over time. Is it just the repetitive nature of some of the content like the towing or drag racing? Do you not find the repeatable tests interesting anymore? Or is it just that your interests have moved on?
Great question(s)

But you should know that I'm not necessarily the target audience for wanting to build a sustainable channel.

TFL absolutely has content that I am the bullseye for. But every video can't be that narrowly targeted because I went there for specific vehicles. They probably have great content for vehicles that I'm not interested in, so nobody can fault them for that.

But I also believe that I watched them succeed early on and the success itself appeared to bring pressure on them to create more content. I suspect quality starts to take a back seat to quantity, at some point?

Again, I still like the folks themselves well enough. I'm just not the audience for the towing prowess of a vehicle that I have no interest in ever acquiring. I don't fault them for that.

Besides, I tend to be a binge sponge for whatever current interest I am focused on. I find a good channel for the knowledge transfer that I'm after. I soak up what is available/applicable from that source, and then I kinda move on.

I'm an old geezer. A dinosaur. An endangered species. I don't represent the future. You have a more important audience than me, long term for sure.

testerdahl

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Used to own 2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Automotive Journalist
Are YouTube channels lucrative? Is there a threshold where they turn positive?
Lucrative? Yes. I think there's a new millionaire made every day on YouTube.

You start making money at 500 subs, 3,000 watch hours in the past year. At first, you make peanuts. Like most things, the more time and effort you put into it, the more you can make. However, it is hard. You have to wear many hats to do it.

I've been fortunate to have business experience and a niche I'd like to think I know a few things about. Plus, I was doing freelance and running another business when I started so I wasn't overly stressed about making a buck. Over time, the channel took off, and the website too, which allowed me to stop doing freelance work and close the other business.

tuqqer

First Name
tuqqer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 Supercrew
Occupation
CEO
"... that NOBODY is talking about..." There's the problem right there. Plenty of people know that if they lift a truck, you decrease safety and load and a host of other issues.

testerdahl

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Used to own 2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Automotive Journalist
Great question(s)

But you should know that I'm not necessarily the target audience for wanting to build a sustainable channel.

TFL absolutely has content that I am the bullseye for. But every video can't be that narrowly targeted because I went there for specific vehicles. They probably have great content for vehicles that I'm not interested in, so nobody can fault them for that.

But I also believe that I watched them succeed early on and the success itself appeared to bring pressure on them to create more content. I suspect quality starts to take a back seat to quantity, at some point?

Again, I still like the folks themselves well enough. I'm just not the audience for the towing prowess of a vehicle that I have no interest in ever acquiring. I don't fault them for that.

Besides, I tend to be a binge sponge for whatever current interest I am focused on. I find a good channel for the knowledge transfer that I'm after. I soak up what is available/applicable from that source, and then I kinda move on.

I'm an old geezer. A dinosaur. An endangered species. I don't represent the future. You have a more important audience than me, long term for sure.
Thanks for the reply. I often find myself working in a vacuum and it is nice to get feedback or insight into a viewer's habits. Good or bad.

Sponsored

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
I admit that I didn't even consider watching the video. But it wasn't because of the length. I wasn't aware of the length.
But I have no length limit on a video in general. Or a book. Or a good movie.
But it does have to earn my interest to keep me invested.

I think I'm more concerned with short attention span than it seems the whole world around me has developed. Folks won't read anything longer than a bumper sticker. And their focus is in 12 second increments. And man are they easily bored. 🤣🤣

Still, admittedly I no longer am drawn to the channel that triggered the creation of this thread. I like the fellas there enough, but they ran out of content that kept me coming back. It was probably inevitable.
Whoa there Charles Dickens, I only read texts length or shorter.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Whoa there Charles Dickens, I only read texts length or shorter.
Touché 🤣🤣🤣

Ironically, I could be considered a content provider with my embarrassing number of posts. 🙄🤪

And yeah, I'm certainly not a fit for the stereotype of "a man of few words".

Or put another way, I never seemed to have tackled brevity. One of my regrets in life. But admittedly a small one. Lol
Sponsored