Strange Issue with AC

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I have had this same exact problem happen twice now in as many weeks. I am in a Lariat, and both times, the air slowly started to go out after 2-3 hours of driving. The second time around, I knew what was happening and monitored it. The fan speed was on auto low, and the air slowly started to get warmer. After 5-10 minutes, the fan speed became non-existent. After shutting the truck off for a few minutes, the issue goes away after a restart. I am scheduled to bring it into Granger Ford here on Friday. I am not expecting them to find anything, but good to know I am not the only one trying to battle through this. I am just afraid it will never actually get fixed, and I am going to be dealing with it forever.
So one of my buddies and I went to get him a used BMW. About 3 hours into the trip back home he called and said the A/C stopped working. He could hear the fan blowing, but no air out of the vents. He said the whole time it was working with the fan on low and A/C cold. When he would let it sit for 10-15 minutes, the evap core would melt and then it would work again until it froze up again

Turns out that was a common issue in those cars, the evaporator core temp sensor was placed poorly and wouldn’t cut the A/C when the EVAP core started to freeze up. Fix was a TSB to reprogram the computer and he hasn’t had any issues.

Mentioning this because the symptoms sound very similar to your experience and what I’m seeing by others in this thread. Maybe something to ask the techs to investigate…

Last edited:

matrix311

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Technology Sales
My 2021 Platinum just had this same exact AC issue on Friday. With the blower on 7 and the air temp on low, hardly any air was coming out of the vents and it was blowing warm air. Tried turning the truck off to reset it and no changes. Rolled windows down the rest of the drive for relief. I could hear the blower at max speed in the dash area but hardly any air flow and it wasn't cool at all. I live in Arizona so I need ac especially on a 75k truck.

smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I've had the same issue with my AC at least twice in the past 8 months. Both times I can recall I was towing a trailer. The first time I'd forgotten about, but this second time it happened I started to think it may have something to do with the heat being produced by towing. ???? But definitely the same issue. AC on Max, Fan speed on hi. Temp set to Lo. And no air whatsoever coming out of the dash.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Just experienced this myself for the first time a couple of days ago.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I was looking and found this TSB. Looks like requires dash removal for the evaporator be replaced. The whole hvac box has to be replaced though.

Here is the tsb

View attachment 22-2089.pdf

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
Thanks for the heads up on the TSB. This will help me plead my case to the service department. I get tired of them looking at me, like I just came in from Mars.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Thanks for the heads up on the TSB. This will help me plead my case to the service department. I get tired of them looking at me, like I just came in from Mars.
No problem. They can’t argue when it’s spells out what you’re describing in the tsb

Reactions: Geo

cyclone77

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I've had this issue with my '22 502A as well. The problem seems to happen less if I leave the recirculation off, and just have the AC on. But every once in awhile it still happens though, where the fan is set to high but barely any air comes out the vents/air not cold, plus can hear the loud fan sound from somewhere inside the dash.

What I've been doing when this happens is switch off the AC and it reverts to vent, and almost instantly the air coming out the vents blasts out as it should. The air gets very cold as well, far colder than it should be in just vent mode. It's almost like all that cold was trapped inside the dash somewhere, and putting it on vent lets it out lol. After a few minutes the very cold air starts to warm towards what a normal vent would feel like, and then I switch it back to AC and the air gets cold again, and operates as it should, including being able to blast it on high again. So obviously running the vent quickly melts the evap.

It's not a permanent solution, but helps to alleviate the issue somewhat.

Sponsored

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
I just got back from a long trip. This happened to me twice. Once on the way there and once on the way back. My truck barely turned over 1k miles on this trip.

I can’t recall what I did to get it working again on the way there, but I know for a fact I let the regular vent run on high with no AC on just like Cyclone described and it fixed it.

I was towing moderately heavy.

I’m not happy about it. At all.

Where in that TSB does it say the whole dash has to come out? Or is that just a guess based on what parts need to be replaced? It says it’s only like a 5 hour repair.

I’m not sure I’d want the whole dash removed from my truck. Damn.

Toddrabies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F-150 Fx4
I've had this issue with my '22 502A as well. The problem seems to happen less if I leave the recirculation off, and just have the AC on. But every once in awhile it still happens though, where the fan is set to high but barely any air comes out the vents/air not cold, plus can hear the loud fan sound from somewhere inside the dash.

What I've been doing when this happens is switch off the AC and it reverts to vent, and almost instantly the air coming out the vents blasts out as it should. The air gets very cold as well, far colder than it should be in just vent mode. It's almost like all that cold was trapped inside the dash somewhere, and putting it on vent lets it out lol. After a few minutes the very cold air starts to warm towards what a normal vent would feel like, and then I switch it back to AC and the air gets cold again, and operates as it should, including being able to blast it on high again. So obviously running the vent quickly melts the evap.

Thank you so much for this, you're a life saver.
Was on a long trip with the wife and kids yesterday and the AC stopped working. Temp was 33 degrees Canadian (91 Freedom degrees) and getting unbearable, so I pulled over and after a quick Google you saved the day.
Picked up my Lariat a month ago, only a couple thousand miles, gonna call the dealership and have them prepare for the TSB.

Thanks again!

Majorplane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150

Worked for me as you stated. Thanks!

P-cubed

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Caravan, Ranger, Edge
Damn, add me to this list. Lariat with 700 miles on it. Left work with AC on 63 and fan on speed 3 and all was good. Drive 25 minutes and made a quick stop at a gas station. A few miles later, I noticed it was getting warm - put AC on lo and fan on high, but almost nothing coming from the vents. It was 91F outside.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Yep, the evaporator is freezing up and then you folks are defrosting it with external (ambient) air. It's definitely one method of working around the TSB.
Sponsored