Sponsored

Stock PowerBoost or tuned 3.5 EcoBoost for HP and Torque?

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
I recently ordered a Platinum PowerBoost. I'm interested in the PowerBoost for the HP and Torque. Improved gas mileage is also a huge plus. That said, I've watched some youtube videos and read posts here that suggest the additional money paid for the PB is not worth it from a savings or ROI perspective.

This has me thinking, is it better to buy the PowerBoost with its stock performance or buy the EcoBoost (or even the V8) and get it tuned up to have the extra HP? I assume the Tuning is probably about the same cost as the PowerBoost price differential?

The one advantage of getting the EcoBoost is more available inventory. I ordered my truck two weeks ago and do not have any feedback yet from Ford. Based on what I've read here, I'm assuming it will end up being end of year before I take possession...if I'm lucky.

Interested in others thoughts.
Sponsored

b4hand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Carbonized Grey
You can make some good power with a tune and a few simple supporting mods on the 3.5. If you want to mod the engine, I'd go with the 3.5 and skip the powerboost

McGuyver

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Grand National
My 2 cents: If in-town mileage and/or the 7.2 kw pro power is important to you go for the powerboost otherwise save your money and pick up the 3.5 ecoboost.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Seawolf

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Stupid question...do the reviews....of coarce your getting way more if u tune the right motor...
I do understand that I can get more power than a PB by tuning a EB. The PB has just enough zip that I'm not really looking for more...although more is always better. I know you guys have done this way more than me, so looking for input.

The bigger issue is patience. And that has never been one of my virtues...

Last edited:

rado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The PowerBoost IS a 3.5L EcoBoost, but with a hybrid drive system attached. While I haven't done a ton of research on exactly what the differences are between the PowerBoost and non-PowerBoost motors, I would assume that the majority of the engine is the same. So, in theory, whatever you do to a non-PowerBoost 3.5L, you should be able to do to PowerBoost motor.

You should also take into account the extras that you get with the PowerBoost, like the increased fuel tank capacity, the increased cooling, and the higher gear ratio among others.

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
Stupid question...do the reviews....of coarce your getting way more if u tune the right motor...
Awesome contribution, really promotes community on the forum!

TheGoatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 powerboost
They say the roi is not there on the powerboost mpg.

the tune is the same cost as the powerboost, what’s the roi on the tune?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Seawolf

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
The PowerBoost IS a 3.5L EcoBoost, but with a hybrid drive system attached. While I haven't done a ton of research on exactly what the differences are between the PowerBoost and non-PowerBoost motors, I would assume that the majority of the engine is the same. So, in theory, whatever you do to a non-PowerBoost 3.5L, you should be able to do to PowerBoost motor.

You should also take into account the extras that you get with the PowerBoost, like the increased fuel tank capacity, the increased cooling, and the higher gear ratio among others.
Good post. I knew about the gas tank, but was not aware of the other differences. I'm comfortable with the PB decision, and definitely excited for a ~700 mile range between fill ups. We need Ford to get this supply chain stuff figured out.

OP
OP
Seawolf

Seawolf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
They say the roi is not there on the powerboost mpg.

the tune is the same cost as the powerboost, what’s the roi on the tune?
Same as the ROI on the Bedrug Impact Liner, Retrax Pro XR, leveling kit, and new tires. The ROI calculation was for those folks justifying the improved fuel economy of the PB. If we wanted ROI we should all be riding bicycles.

Seems there are only negative ROI's with all my hobbies...golf, fishing, boats, paddle boarding, trucks, etc...

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
Good post. I knew about the gas tank, but was not aware of the other differences. I'm comfortable with the PB decision, and definitely excited for a ~700 mile range between fill ups. We need Ford to get this supply chain stuff figured out.
The additional cooling system is for the HEV components, and doesn't connect to the ICE cooling system.

Re: gear ratio - mine is a 3:73 - not what I'd call a high gear, but good for towing.

In the real world, miles between fill-ups are more like ~ 600 with a light load (ex: 2 people and a bed full of IKEA furniture)

The supply chain issues are a global problem with no end in sight. I'm sure Ford would like to figure out a solution!

So anyway, if you want to tinker/modify then don't get the Powerboost. My tinkerin' time is limited to other stuff, and I like the PB exactly as it is.
Sponsored