Powerboost vs ecoboost

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
I would say you get the highest MPGs award, that is some great numbers! I had one trip of about 50 miles and I got a little over 26, probably because my first tank from the dealer I had them put premium in it. The rest of the same trip has been upper 23s to lower 25s. I had done a lot of short trips while the weather was still cold, been warmer lately. I'm pleased with my over all average.

I just love these new KR trucks they are awesome, yours is a twin to mine and I think these are the sharpest wheels to date from Ford.
Thanks Bob yes it looks good I managed almost 40% of miles driven electric. Our numbers are close though. A few tricks I noted are to tap the brake on flat ground and it will coax the engine to turn off. Also light on throttle I don’t think my EB has been above 2750 RPM. I won’t always drive like that and I’ve yet to test towing mpg or cruising on the highway at 80 mph. But this is a big selling point for the PB if you ask me, 20-25% better mileage around town. I like both wheel designs... I’m somewhat concerned about the PVD wheels holding up over time we will see. As for gas octane I do not think that is an issue for me at these loads... only regular unleaded at 87 so far for me. If I plan a trip towing I put in premium which is only 91 at best in the southwest. I’m rarely at sea level however. Also no cold weather all temps 60-95 deg F so far. That is a big effect the drivetrain is less efficient when cold.
Sponsored

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
I agree that the PB shines in the city or speeds below 50 mph.
That being said I also find that there is a 1.5 to 2mpg difference between using Regular gas or 91 octane.
If I do the speed limit on the hwy (65mph) using 87 octane, I averaged 22 mpg. That is over 120 miles.
Same trip using premium 91 octane a week later 24 mpg, weather and temperatures were the same both trips.

When I travel at 78 MPH regular gas, was 17.8 mpg over 120 miles.
Same trip using 91 octane and same speeds 78 MPH, same weather 19.8 mpg. Both using cruise control and based on the Computer read out. I still have to hand calculate it.
Back in the August 4,2019 issue of car and driver they tested an F-150 EB on 87 and 93 octane and got a 3-4% improvement at 75 mpg for the higher octane (17.6 vs 17) and 10% less boost in full throttle runs for the low octane. This is less than what you are seeing... your results are very interesting I need to try it!

Ford F-150 Powerboost vs ecoboost B8B88075-10BF-407D-9B47-72A43A12ED7A

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
@Mabes I'm ordering it because of the better fuel economy and the reduced emissions.
The reduced emissions while driving, may eventually make up for the extra emissions created to source materials and build the extra driveline components and batteries. And then again, they may not. lol

Personally, I live in a small center, and do very little city driving, so I may never save enough on fuel to pay for the extra cost of the Powerboost.

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid
Back in the August 4,2019 issue of car and driver they tested an F-150 EB on 87 and 93 octane and got a 3-4% improvement at 75 mpg for the higher octane (17.6 vs 17) and 10% less boost in full throttle runs for the low octane. This is less than what you are seeing... your results are very interesting I need to try it!

B8B88075-10BF-407D-9B47-72A43A12ED7A.png
Great, let me know what you find. 1 other tip, the temperature setting in the cab definitely makes the engine run more often if heating or cooling are required.
I did not think it made a big difference but it does. Example is full heat max temp or max AC with lowest temperature.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

B8B88075-10BF-407D-9B47-72A43A12ED7A.png
Yeah, the extra power is not worth the extra cost. I don't put premium (+60 cents per gallon) even while towing but I don't tow that heavy. I just make sure I use a Top Tier fuel.

Good info you posted!

LoadedLarry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150 Lariat
Well I have been trying to find out what exactly the Tow Pkg and/or the Max tow pkg provide that you don't get with the PB alone - it seems the Max tow adds a rear brake upgrade - good luck finding anything else provided (please comment if you do). That said the tow ratings do increase but my dealer thinks that is just a spec item as he also could not identify anything that gets added other than extra $'s to the price.
Hello,

1st time poster.

Max Trailer Tow Pkg 53C now really just means a HD axle & bumper added to the Trailer Tow Pkg, used to get an oil & trans cooler too, not sure when exactly it lost 'em, but they only come on Raptor now, my '18 has 'em. If you tow, live in heat, wanna' pump up a 3.5, these two sure help a ton, AND upgrade your intercooler.
Sponsored

Attachments