Audio skipping when using Android Auto

islandboy47

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Lariat FX4
Hey guys, I commented about this in another thread a few weeks ago, but haven't found a solution yet so thought I would check here. Ever since I updated my '21 PB to 3.5.3.2 my audio skips in the truck randomly. Music on any app, podcasts, doesn't matter they all skip or sound choppy. I was convinced it was my phone/Android Auto that was the issue for a while and spent a long time troubleshooting that, but that wasn't it. My phone doesn't skip at all in my wife's new aftermarket AA head unit and both hers and my phones skip when connected to the F150 via AA. I don't think it happens when I just use Bluetooth for music, I think only when using Android Auto. It's kind of driving me crazy.

I'm thinking about spending some of this weekend to update to 3.5.4 to see if that helps at all. I'd rather not spend the $50 on an FDRS license again though, since I just did that recently, so I'm wondering if there's anything in Forscan that might help? I already tried soft resetting the APIM using the power and seek button combo to no avail. I haven't used Forscan much yet, but maybe a hard reset of the APIM in there could help? Has anyone else run into this or have any ideas?
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I'm having the same issues with AA since the update and a few people have reported some kind of issues with 3.5.3. Updating to 3.5.4 will not fix the issue, but I am surprised you didn't do that when you updated to 3.5.3 since you already have the FDRS license active.

Just this morning, my AA updated via the playstore to 8.8.630424, but I have only driven the truck for a few miles and cannot determine if whatever "bug fixes" are in this update will fix the issue.

OP
OP
islandboy47

islandboy47

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm having the same issues with AA since the update and a few people have reported some kind of issues with 3.5.3. Updating to 3.5.4 will not fix the issue, but I am surprised you didn't do that when you updated to 3.5.3 since you already have the FDRS license active.

Just this morning, my AA updated via the playstore to 8.8.630424, but I have only driven the truck for a few miles and cannot determine if whatever "bug fixes" are in this update will fix the issue.
I didn't go to 3.5.4 because this was like 2 days before that update came out. My timing is impeccable lol. My AA just updated as well, maybe that will help, but I'm not expecting that it will.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Mine did it today. You all noticing just during BT, or do you have it hooked up to AUX?

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Same problem over here. All the latest updates on the truck, and my S10 (old, yes) suddenly skips using YouTube Music. It's intermittent and unpredictable, but annoying when that big riff is interrupted 🤣.

I'll try Pandora for a few days and report back.

Sponsored

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I use Spotify with AA, and I just noticed this "skipping" issue. The problem is ONLY showing during a Bluetooth-connected session and not when I connect the phone with USB.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Used Pandora for a three hour drive home today instead of my usual YouTube Music. Skipping still present 😒. I think we have a large enough sample size here to know it's the truck and not our phones/apps.

I've also had issues with AA intermittently not connecting on my phone since the recent updates. The phone will connect to the truck, but only over standard Bluetooth, which seems so archaic now that I'm spoiled by wireless AA 🤣. Anybody else having this problem?

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Truck had update last night, seemed to take 2 blocks of driving before BT connected....

Beercity

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 701a F150 | 20 Escape hybrid | 13 Escape
Occupation
Dude Named Ben
Not just AA for me, also happens with Alexa streaming.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
Mine also does the AA skipping / cutout, as well as intermittently failing to connect, and connecting, but maps failing to load (grey screen). The maps issue I discovered I could overcome by toggling full screen AA a couple of times.. no solutions for the skipping though

Sponsored

Bob Violence

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501A FX4 Powerboost
Updated my F150 via FDRS a couple weeks back, so it is as current as it gets. My Pixel 7 has all current updates on it as well.

I have never noticed any skipping, but I run AA/Spotify via a wired USB-C connection (not wireless AA, nor bluetooth). From past experience, the quality of USB cable can make a huge difference when it comes to AA working properly, or not at all. FWIW.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Yes, wired better audio, and probably no skipping. I drive 5 minutes to work and just BT it...so I assume its the trucks BT "feature"

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine also does the AA skipping / cutout, as well as intermittently failing to connect, and connecting, but maps failing to load (grey screen). The maps issue I discovered I could overcome by toggling full screen AA a couple of times.. no solutions for the skipping though
Also maps failing to load on my truck.

OP
OP
islandboy47

islandboy47

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's interesting that we are seeing so many different issues with AA. For me I get the skipping issue whether I'm using wireless AA or wired. And I don't have any other issues with it not connecting or maps not loading or anything. My pixel 6 pro is completely up to date. At this point I'm not sure what to do, other than trying another usb cord because it sounds like it's possible that could make a difference.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I will try USB hook up on way home...its annoying for sure.
Sponsored