First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
So, I'm an old fart that has an "if it works, why try something else" mindset.

Anyway, I upgraded my phone from a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 to a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra a couple of weeks ago. The phone immediately got Android Auto running and the "button" along the bottom of the screen showed up and it asked if I wanted to a open it. Of course I clicked "no" and moved on.
Finally after seeing it along the bottom, I decided to finally try Google maps for a known destination that has a couple of different routes that work. The announcement was it was picking one way because of road work on the other and this was longer but faster. After a couple of more experiments, I'm converted. It'll be Google maps doing the navigation. This old dog learned a new trick.
Sponsored

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I'm old enough that I recall using paper maps and AAA trip-tiks. And I'm old enough that I recall going to mapquest.com and PRINTING out directions. I used to travel around the US to client sites in the 80's and 90's and I don't really recall how we used to find our way around. (I think we actually asked for directions from the client when we set up the meeting, how quaint)

Now I won't even drive around the block without enabling Android Auto. If someone from 1990 could time-travel to today they'd think it was magic.

There are the occasional burps where "Naggie" (my name for her) will be guiding me down the interstate, and for some unexplained reason, will have me take the exit ramp, then get right back on. Odd. But 99.99% can do real-time updates better than I could hope to, or get forward road reconnaissance via CB radio. So glad that most manufacturers got out of the navigation business and let the phones do the work.

And if you want some fun, install Waze and enable a different accent. My personal favorite is Scottish.

"...just a wee turn to the left. Grrrreat. Och, now you've missed it, haven't you? Recalculatin'....."

OP
OP
Jus Cruisin

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I'm old enough that I recall using paper maps and AAA trip-tiks. And I'm old enough that I recall going to mapquest.com and PRINTING out directions. I used to travel around the US to client sites in the 80's and 90's and I don't really recall how we used to find our way around. (I think we actually asked for directions from the client when we set up the meeting, how quaint)

Now I won't even drive around the block without enabling Android Auto. If someone from 1990 could time-travel to today they'd think it was magic.

There are the occasional burps where "Naggie" (my name for her) will be guiding me down the interstate, and for some unexplained reason, will have me take the exit ramp, then get right back on. Odd. But 99.99% can do real-time updates better than I could hope to, or get forward road reconnaissance via CB radio. So glad that most manufacturers got out of the navigation business and let the phones do the work.

And if you want some fun, install Waze and enable a different accent. My personal favorite is Scottish.

"...just a wee turn to the left. Grrrreat. Och, now you've missed it, haven't you? Recalculatin'....."
I looked at Waze and one, don't care about police locations. I have no need to speed and this truck is far from something I'd want to play with. Two, the graphics (at least a couple of years ago) looked like they were designed for and by a 5 year old. I'll stay with Google maps... ;)

Jaylars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 5.4 XLT SCREW and 2021 5.0 XLT SCREW
Occupation
Military
You might want to check out Gaia GPS app as well. It works with Android Auto and continues to track your position even when your cell service is spotty or non-existent. Great for back country and remote areas.
Sponsored