Rumble strip/tire rubbing noise and vibration

Iconic_23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3.5
Hello all. I’ve read a couple other threads about this issue and it seems like others are experiencing this as well. Something to do with the IWE engagement/disengagement producing what sounds like running over rumble strips or a bad wheel bearing. I saw that some got IWEs replaced and still producing the noise/vibrations and I think only one had said it actually got fixed. What exactly is going on here? And has anyone actually had this issue resolved permanently? 2023 with 3300 miles here. Done it a few times now. Thanks
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hello all. I’ve read a couple other threads about this issue and it seems like others are experiencing this as well. Something to do with the IWE engagement/disengagement producing what sounds like running over rumble strips or a bad wheel bearing. I saw that some got IWEs replaced and still producing the noise/vibrations and I think only one had said it actually got fixed. What exactly is going on here? And has anyone actually had this issue resolved permanently? 2023 with 3300 miles here. Done it a few times now. Thanks
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

BAPP702

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 XLT 302a 4x4 Black BAP Powerboost
I just got a video of this happening on my truck this morning. I can turn on and off the issue by cycling the 4H button.

Rineland

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 XLT 302A 4x4 CCSB 3.5L EB
Occupation
Engineer
I just got a video of this happening on my truck this morning. I can turn on and off the issue by cycling the 4H button.
If you can activate it by engaging and disengaging 4H it definitely sounds like the IWE issues many have experienced in the thread below.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/intermittent-hum-or-howl-from-front-end.13723/

Mine was replaced back in March and it still does it when shifting from 4H to 2H (and on cold mornings when it locks the hubs to warm up the diff). It's definitely something to do with the IWE and mine seems to only impact the driver's side. I had a '21 before this and never experienced the noise or vibration. Replacing it once didn't solve the problem so I don't have any plans of raising the issue with the dealership again unless the noise or vibration gets worse. Part of me kinda hopes it does so it can at least point the tech in the right direction for a true fix.

OP
OP

Iconic_23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3.5
So Freeway Ford (Denver) had it all day today to tell me it’s because of the leveling kit. Funny thing is it did it before that was even installed. Sounds like they just looked and saw the different strut and immediately came to that conclusion. Not sure what to do now sounds like they want an easy out of a warranty repair.

Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
So Freeway Ford (Denver) had it all day today to tell me it’s because of the leveling kit. Funny thing is it did it before that was even installed. Sounds like they just looked and saw the different strut and immediately came to that conclusion. Not sure what to do now sounds like they want an easy out of a warranty repair.
Dealers in this area are less than worthless. Ive been struggling with Groove Ford. It took them three attempts to do the headlight recall and they want to keep the truck for days every time. Very disrespectful of my time considering they also want to make an appointment to drop it off.

I had a similar almost ratcheting sound last winter when driving below 40 degrees in the first few miles in the morning. It was always when letting off the gas. I thought it was the EIWEs disengaging around mile 2, but I now think it was wastegates. We'll see if it comes back this year when its driven cold.

Hardballjaquez

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3.5 f150 powerboost hybrid
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Just picked my 2023 PB up in December. Didn’t drive it for two weeks due to a trip. Came home and drove for a couple days. Notice a rumble strip noise in 7,8,9th gear when slightly going up hill and giving the truck gas. Then on otw to work I got the loud vibration from the front end. It went away after 20 seconds. After work drove it around again and put it in and out of 4wd. Everytime the vibration would come back after taking it out of 4wd. Sometimes it stays on for a while. Not happy. Two vibrations and can’t even get an appt at the dealership until the 18th. Truck has less than 300 miles on it. I hope I am not causing a further issue.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just picked my 2023 PB up in December. Didn’t drive it for two weeks due to a trip. Came home and drove for a couple days. Notice a rumble strip noise in 7,8,9th gear when slightly going up hill and giving the truck gas. Then on otw to work I got the loud vibration from the front end. It went away after 20 seconds. After work drove it around again and put it in and out of 4wd. Everytime the vibration would come back after taking it out of 4wd. Sometimes it stays on for a while. Not happy. Two vibrations and can’t even get an appt at the dealership until the 18th. Truck has less than 300 miles on it. I hope I am not causing a further issue.
Hi there, Kyle. This rumble/vibration concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Can you send us a DM with your VIN & dealer name/location? I’ll see how I can assist on my end. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".

scottc

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
Hello, I have the same issue: rumble-strip like sound/feeling on and off on my 2023 F150 with 3500 miles. Usually when coasting down a hill, once when uphill under low power. Rumbles in 6,7,8 then stops when the tranny either upshifts or downshifts. Pretty alarming when it happens about 3x/week. No codes and my dealer not yet sure about what this is.

pilotmanchee

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I have the same issue. Just got my truck 2 weeks ago from the dealership. Truck had 1200 miles on it when I got it (demo truck) It has made that noise four times now. Sounds just like going over the rumble strips on the side of the highway. Its normally around 40 to 45 miles per hour. I keep trying to catch it on camera but it stops as soon as I get my phone to video it. I already had two have two tires replaced at 1,500 miles due to the road force being 38 and 37 on new tires. It felt like I was in a dryer as soon as the truck got to highway speeds. The dealer said they could not duplicate the noise and replaced the tires under warranty. The vibration at highway speeds have stopped but still getting the rumble strip noise every few drives. It makes me worried there is a bigger issue with the front end that caused the tires to go bad.
Sponsored