First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
Been experiencing a hum/howl from the front left of my 2022 F150. It’s happened 4 times now over the 5 months I’ve owned it. 3 times at the exact same spot, going 45mph and slightly turning right. It sounds like a wheel bearing hum or howl that lasts for 15-20 seconds then goes away. Almost sounds like going over a rumble strip on one side. The last time it happened I put it in 4wd and it immediately went away. Anyone else experience this before? 3800 miles
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Wheel bearings normally have a high pitched squeal when they blow. Other than the vibration did you hear any noises?

My first gut instinct would be to check your lug nuts for looseness / proper torque

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
Wheel bearings normally have a high pitched squeal when they blow. Other than the vibration did you hear any noises?

My first gut instinct would be to check your lug nuts for looseness / proper torque
Checked lugs, those are good. It was like a low pitch humming/vibration noise

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Hmmm, odd that it went away when you put it in 4WD.

I’d probably take a tech for a ride along and show them exactly what it is in case there’s a recall on something. Most of the time if I hand them the keys they’ll just say they can’t hear/feel it.

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
Hmmm, odd that it went away when you put it in 4WD.

I’d probably take a tech for a ride along and show them exactly what it is in case there’s a recall on something. Most of the time if I hand them the keys they’ll just say they can’t hear/feel it.
That’s what I’m thinking. I’ll see if it happens again, and I’ll take it in

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Been experiencing a hum/howl from the front left of my 2022 F150. It’s happened 4 times now over the 5 months I’ve owned it. 3 times at the exact same spot, going 45mph and slightly turning right. It sounds like a wheel bearing hum or howl that lasts for 15-20 seconds then goes away. Almost sounds like going over a rumble strip on one side. The last time it happened I put it in 4wd and it immediately went away. Anyone else experience this before? 3800 miles
Hi Aaron. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
What you describe is the exact symptom of an IWE that is partially engaged when it shouldn't be. (in 2WD, the IWE should not be engaged. In 4WD it is, thus the grinding of a partial engagement ceases)

This should be rare on a Gen14 truck because Ford finally replaced the vacuum operated IWE with an electric IWE. Or in my 2022 Powerboost, eliminated the IWE altogether.

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
What you describe is the exact symptom of an IWE that is partially engaged when it shouldn't be. (in 2WD, the IWE should not be engaged. In 4WD it is, thus the grinding of a partial engagement ceases)

This should be rare on a Gen14 truck because Ford finally replaced the vacuum operated IWE with an electric IWE. Or in my 2022 Powerboost, eliminated the IWE altogether.
Very interesting. I’ll have to do some research and see if anyone else has had any IWE issues. Seems like the issue only appears when traveling 45 and slightly turning right (making noise on front left)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Honestly, yours is the first post for a Gen14 truck that sounded like a very common post for the previous 20 years worth of 4WD F150's.

Of course it's entirely possible that you are not experiencing a momentarily partially engaged IWE, but your description is very similar. Especially when you state that it doesn't do it in 4WD. (since 4wd fully engages the IWE/hub and the noise/vibration immediately ceases)

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
Honestly, yours is the first post for a Gen14 truck that sounded like a very common post for the previous 20 years worth of 4WD F150's.

Of course it's entirely possible that you are not experiencing a momentarily partially engaged IWE, but your description is very similar. Especially when you state that it doesn't do it in 4WD. (since 4wd fully engages the IWE/hub and the noise/vibration immediately ceases)
Exactly right, once I hit 4x4 it disappears. With all the symptoms and where the sound appears to be coming from, it seems like a sure thing. But strange nobody else has had an issue, maybe I’m just the lucky one. We will see how it acts the next few weeks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
I have the same issue with my 2022 XLT with 300 miles on it, same speed (around 45). Mine sounds almost like when a fender liner is stuck on the tire.
Yes exactly the same as what I’m hearing!

lb7mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT 3.5EB
Yes exactly the same as what I’m hearing!
Unfortunately I had to push my appointment back to next week due to the holidays. However, it has given me some time to note a few things about this noise:
1. It always occurs during my morning commute, and within the first 1.5-2 miles of my drive. I have never had it happen twice in the same day.
2. It always occurs between 45-50ish mph
3. Mine seems to be coming from the driver front more so than the passenger.
4. It seems to be an actuated (for lack of a better term) noise. I say this because it always lasts the same amount of time (roughly 10 seconds). Slowing down, speeding up, or switching to 4wd seems to give the illusion of stopping the noise, but I a almost 100% convinced it has now impact on how long it lasts.
5.The more I listen to it, the more it sounds like a mixture of an ABS activation-like noise and that of a fender well rubbing on a tire (just noise similarities, not saying that’s what’s happening).
6. Lastly, I really don’t know much about these trucks as I bought this as an fill-in between selling my 21’ F-250 and waiting for my 23’ 350 that I ordered to come in. But, my theory lies with either the front air dam actuator, abs actuator, or the 4wd Hub actuator. Again, I know next to nothing about F-150s and how the systems that I listed operate, but it for sure doesn’t seem like a hub bearing, transmission, or transfer case issue. I am trying to gather as much information as I can before the truck goes in for service as my dealer is pretty receptive to input.

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
Unfortunately I had to push my appointment back to next week due to the holidays. However, it has given me some time to note a few things about this noise:
1. It always occurs during my morning commute, and within the first 1.5-2 miles of my drive. I have never had it happen twice in the same day.
2. It always occurs between 45-50ish mph
3. Mine seems to be coming from the driver front more so than the passenger.
4. It seems to be an actuated (for lack of a better term) noise. I say this because it always lasts the same amount of time (roughly 10 seconds). Slowing down, speeding up, or switching to 4wd seems to give the illusion of stopping the noise, but I a almost 100% convinced it has now impact on how long it lasts.
5.The more I listen to it, the more it sounds like a mixture of an ABS activation-like noise and that of a fender well rubbing on a tire (just noise similarities, not saying that’s what’s happening).
6. Lastly, I really don’t know much about these trucks as I bought this as an fill-in between selling my 21’ F-250 and waiting for my 23’ 350 that I ordered to come in. But, my theory lies with either the front air dam actuator, abs actuator, or the 4wd Hub actuator. Again, I know next to nothing about F-150s and how the systems that I listed operate, but it for sure doesn’t seem like a hub bearing, transmission, or transfer case issue. I am trying to gather as much information as I can before the truck goes in for service as my dealer is pretty receptive to input.
Thanks for the update be sure to keep us posted. What you’ve described is exactly what I’ve been hearing. My first thought was something sounding ABS related also. I’ve only heard it 4 times 45-50 and within the first 1-2 miles of my commute is accurate also.
Sponsored