Risk of buying from afar, my Granger experience

Poorredman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 501a PB Smoked Quartz
Just picked up my truck from Granger yesterday. Overall the process and experience was just as others have said on the forum. Easy, straight forward ordering/pricing. Ordered on Aug. 5th, got picked up in the system the next week with a build week of 9/20. Built 9/23, sat in Dearborn for 3 weeks, took the slow train, then sat in KC for another week, and was finally delivered to Granger on 11/2. Almost 3 months, not as bad as most.

Was notified by Granger on 11/3 that the truck was delivered and started the process to finalize the financing. On 11/4 I let them know I'd be flying in on 11/8 and would sign the paperwork on 11/9 first thing in the morning. I specifically asked the finance guy if eyes had been put on the truck and that it was good to go. He reassured me that they do a thorough inspection with the transport driver because any damage has to be reported right then. So I felt good booking the flight.

Chip graciously offered to pick me up at the hotel that morning, which I took him up on. On the drive in, Chip receives a call from the guy getting the truck cleaned up. It's on speaker and he asks if Chip knew about the damage to the front bumper. Honestly thought it was a joke if he knew I was in the car, but it wasn't.

We get to Granger and go straight to the wash bay and find a gouge in the trim that sits between the bumper and headlight. The headlight lens is also scratched pretty good. Looks like something hit it, maybe a chain??? There is also ink marks from a pen in the driver armrest leather (I have the slate leather, so easy to see). The PDI crew can't get it out of the leather.

So the biggest risk of buying from afar just occurred. I'm given the choice of leaving it at Granger and they'll fix it, which means finding a same day flight home and buying another flight later, or taking the truck as is and having my local dealer fix the issues and Granger will reimburse. I decide to take the truck even though the inconvenience of arranging the repairs is now on me. Chip and the sales manager were apologetic, but that was it.

I know things like this can happen, certainly not Chip's fault or anyone else at Granger for the damage, just wish the process would have caught it before I left Texas. At the end of the day I still got a great deal, just not as perfect as I'd hope.

Ford F-150 Risk of buying from afar, my Granger experience 20211109_110454

Ford F-150 Risk of buying from afar, my Granger experience 20211109_111017
Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Yeah, they should probably perform PDI and then call you when it's ready.

Velkyrion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
If theres one thing I've learned, its that the "thorough inspection" for anything I purchase is never as thorough as I would do. But that damage seems like it would be hard to miss on arrival even with a minimal visual inspection... I've encountered this before with other purchases. I had a special order trailer which was supposedly all good/inspected and ready for me to pick up 2 hrs away, only for me to arrive and discover it had a freaking HOLE in the roof with sunlight coming through, among other issues. That plus other past experiences is why I didn't pursue a dealer far away. I just don't want to risk it.

I'm sorry this happened to you!

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
While very unfortunate it sounds like @Granger Ford is taking care of you so that's good to hear. Ultimately this could happen on a local purchase and dealer would take care of it, to me its worth the risk for the savings YMMV.

Sponsored

upslash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Honda Civic 290k miles
That's frustrating, and it would have been nice if Granger had found it before you bought your plane ticket. But at the end of the day, you have the truck now, the damage is pretty minor, and they are paying for the repairs. Mistakes happen. Congrats on the new truck, and hope the repairs don't take long!

CMC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor 402A (ordered)
Sorry to hear about that. I'm hoping the $500 courtesy delivery charge I'm paying for having my out-of-state truck purchase sent to my local dealer will alleviate some of those headaches.

70Mach1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 on order
Sorry to hear about that. I'm hoping the $500 courtesy delivery charge I'm paying for having my out-of-state truck purchase sent to my local dealer will alleviate some of those headaches.
@CMC tell me more about this. I too ordered from Granger but I was planning on getting the truck shipped to me. What’s the benefit of shipping to a local dealer?

Granger Ford

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
Certainly we dropped the ball on this deal and it should've been caught before delivery. We missed this one and will do our part to make it right.

CMC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@CMC tell me more about this. I too ordered from Granger but I was planning on getting the truck shipped to me. What’s the benefit of shipping to a local dealer?
The main benefit is really just getting to take delivery near home while still getting the 3% under invoice out of state deal that a few dealers (Chapman; Granger) are offering. Saves me the travel time and the higher cost of a plane ticket and travel expenses.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 GMC Sierra, 3500HD

Did you do this through Ford, the dealer buying from or the dealer that it is being shipped to? Did you buy from Granger? Does the truck go to the dealer you bought from first and then shipped to the local dealer? Any website to read up on this? Thanks for the info and sorry for all the questions but this could solve a number of issues with me buying from Granger and having to fly up and drive back with work and all.

CMC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did you do this through Ford, the dealer buying from or the dealer that it is being shipped to? Did you buy from Granger? Does the truck go to the dealer you bought from first and then shipped to the local dealer? Any website to read up on this? Thanks for the info and sorry for all the questions but this could solve a number of issues with me buying from Granger and having to fly up and drive back with work and all.
I set this up through my dealer (Chapman). I asked them if they could drop ship to Texas so that I didn’t have to fly to PA and drive back to TX. Once they confirmed possible, I called around to multiple local dealers to ask if they accept courtesy deliveries (CD). Once I found one that does, I agreed to their $500 CD fee (was only $250 earlier this year) and put my dealer (Chapman) in touch with the local dealer so they could work out all of the logistic details. Once I got a build date from my dealer, he changed the shipping destination address from Chapman dealership to the local dealership I found. I paid for the drop ship cost up-front. But it’s not an added cost to ship...it will just be deducted from the purchase price as if it was money down. The local dealer will wash and prep my truck as well as help facilitate the final paperwork, etc on behalf of my actual dealer (Chapman).

TxBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor
I don’t think Granger does courtesy deliveries to other dealers, saw it in an email.

70Mach1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 on order
The main benefit is really just getting to take delivery near home while still getting the 3% under invoice out of state deal that a few dealers (Chapman; Granger) are offering. Saves me the travel time and the higher cost of a plane ticket and travel expenses.
I can relate. I didn’t know about that dealer to dealer arrangement though. I wonder if the other dealer gets something for it like a cut of some sorts. I would think that the receiving dealer would want to to try and get the future service.
I don’t think Granger does courtesy deliveries to other dealers, saw it in an email.
I thought I saw that somewhere too. it would be nice if they did. I would sign up for that.
Sponsored