My Granger Experience

nsbreeding

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 2021
I found this forum last September when I started researching F150s (was currently in an 06 Tundra) and how to get good pricing similar to the x-plan. The Granger post came up and I figured if nothing else, I could use the information to try and get a fair pricing from a local dealer. I live in North Louisiana, about 11.5 hours away from Granger, so I was open to actually ordering from them, but as the original post suggested, "give your local guys a shot."

In Feb of this year was when I started seriously looking, I test drive at our local dealer and asked if I custom ordered could we agree on a price up front. "no we don't know what kind of deals Ford will be offering at the time... yada, yada yada." So I emailed Granger, Chip gave me a build sheet with pricing and I gave 2 other local dealers an opportunity. One didn't answer my request and the other told me they couldn't sell it that cheap, and it was a good deal and they wouldn't blame me if I took that deal. I asked them if they could come within 1k of it, she paused and said, "no I can't, that is just a good deal."

I emailed a couple of changes and questions to Chip and after getting them back and the questions answered, I told him that I was going to talk it over with my wife, that my hesitation was having never bought a truck this way before. His response was great, not pushy and just stated they've had a lot of positive feedback on the way they do business and they weren't going to change it, and he hoped we would become part of the Granger family.

The next day I ordered the truck, and of course then the chip shortage, the chip fire plant, the boat stuck in the canal, becoming a member of the 10/30 club, then the delivery updating to 8/17, then the truck saying it had been shipped to BC after making it to KC (we think this was a inventory fluke because it was back in KC and at Granger a week later, but a funny story, never the less. ha!) Then picking it up Sept. 4. I did know going into this, I would have to wait, and new about the potential chip shortage, so I was kind of expecting August when I ordered.

The most stressful part of this whole process, besides the deer running out in front of my wife and me as we left for the airport at 3:30 am in the morning (no we didn't hit it, thankfully), was the plane rides and hoping there weren't delays (there weren't and I even volunteered and got to sit on the exit row seats on BOTH flights, I'm 6' so the extra leg room was great!).

I was at the dealership by 11:45 am, I had taken care of my financing ahead of time, after saying no to soft push on the extended warrantee, signing all the paperwork, I was on the road by 12:40 pm. LESS than an hour. Everyone I have shared that with has been surprised. I'm sure that may not always be the case, I was hoping for less than 2 hours at best. I drove about 8 hours that day and the rest of the way home on Sunday, getting home around noon. The trip with airfare, hotel and gas was less than $500.

If you are considering buying from Granger, but are like me and haven't done something like this before, I hope this post encourages you to give them a shot. It was what buying a vehicle should be like, and has made driving my truck that much more enjoyable not questioning if I could of haggled them down a little more, and NOT spending 1/2 the day at the dealership, which has been my last 2 experiences.

I will say, custom ordering does require some patience, and Chip told me multiple times that he thought I had been very patience, but keeping it in perspective that they want me to get my truck as soon as I can, so they have have a happy customer, I saw no need to yell, cuss and scream, 'where is my truck.'

Thanks @GrangerChip and @Granger Ford for such a great experience!
Sponsored

fooli-150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered F150 Lariat 501a PB 4x4 SuperCrew
That's good to hear. I am in a very similar position as you. I have one on order from Granger and scheduled to be built later this month. Chip has been quick and easy to work with. I too live about 12h away, but after dealing with local dealers I feel very at peace and pleased with my decision. I am actually looking forward to the road trip after not traveling much the last 1.5 years.

OP
OP
nsbreeding

nsbreeding

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 2021
Yes, I enjoyed the drive home and it gave me a chance to get familiar with the truck, there a "few" more bells and whistles than my 06 Tundra had, ha.

Tucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
I'm half way through my purchase at Granger... truck should be there in next few days. So far it has been amazing working with Chip and his team..

Happy to hear the process is quick and easy once you get there, I'm hoping to have most of the paper work done up prior, walk in.. sign... get keys walk out!

Was super great to get a pre-sales E-mail from service department for some upgrades to be done prior to my arrival... doing PPF and Wheel Well Liners... again super easy, super friendly, and not pushy at all!

I'll be driving to granger from Oregon here in about 2 weeks and driving back.

Tucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner
I'm half way through my purchase at Granger... truck should be there in next few days. So far it has been amazing working with Chip and his team..

Happy to hear the process is quick and easy once you get there, I'm hoping to have most of the paper work done up prior, walk in.. sign... get keys walk out!

Was super great to get a pre-sales E-mail from service department for some upgrades to be done prior to my arrival... doing PPF and Wheel Well Liners... again super easy, super friendly, and not pushy at all!

I'll be driving to granger from Oregon here in about 2 weeks and driving back.

I'm now 98% done with the purchase, just a multi day drive to IOWA and I'm done.

Update on experience... spent total of 20 minutes on the phone today over 2 calls and its done and over... just some signatures on paperwork Monday morning and its done!

This has to be the EASIEST and FASTEST ever ever dealt with a dealer... truly amazing!

Sponsored

Poorredman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 501a PB Smoked Quartz
Who did you work with in Finance?

Also, how long after production did it take to get to Granger?

OP
OP
nsbreeding

nsbreeding

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 2021
It shipped on 7/30 to 8/2 - as of 8/2 it was in Michigan on the way to KC.

On 8/19 Granger said "Honesty is the best policy so I'll tell you what vehicle visibility shows. It reached KC at one point and is now on a railcar but it shows British Columbia as current point in transit. So, that doesn't make sense. Could be a glitch in their system but again, I'll ask the owner to see if he knows what's going on here." - hahaha

It showed up at Granger the next Thursday 8/26. so 3 to 4 weeks. Granger will tell you that they don't have a lot of information once it gets to KC.

I have pretty good credit and had checked on rates when I knew my truck was on the way to Granger. Ford was offering 72 months 0% interest, (on either or rebate, no other rebates, I had found something that said 72 months 0% + 1k cash back, but they said it didn't work for their area). I filled out my Ford Motor Credit online and so the paperwork was ready when I got there. I won't take 72 months to pay it off either, but figured 0% will let me keep some of it in the bank a little longer.

Poorredman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 501a PB Smoked Quartz
Thanks. I meant which guy in Finance?

Was the $1k with 0 for 72mo available in the zip code that you live? If it was, you should have been able to get it.

OP
OP
nsbreeding

nsbreeding

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 2021
Thanks. I meant which guy in Finance?

Was the $1k with 0 for 72mo available in the zip code that you live? If it was, you should have been able to get it.
Oh, Arin was the finance guy. Soft sale on the extended warrantee, tire, glass protection, but after refusing twice, he moved on.

Ah no, I had put it in for their dealership. I didn't think to check mine area. I think they had told me the only way to get the 1k was with a trade in (and I got more for mine on a private sale and didn't really want to drive both ways, to Granger, ha).
Sponsored