Reverse brake assist not available

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
If anyone knows Is this a confirmed issue with removal of tailgate for spay liner? Or just a bunch of different issues with the reverse warning system?
Sponsored

samx513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502a
If anyone knows Is this a confirmed issue with removal of tailgate for spay liner? Or just a bunch of different issues with the reverse warning system?
I had the same issue after getting my spray-in liner done. With mine, the truck was started with the tailgate harness unplugged. Might not be an issue if the vehicle is not started while the tailgate is off.

Still waiting on my appointment at the dealership to preform the TSB.

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
I had the same issue after getting my spray-in liner done. With mine, the truck was started with the tailgate harness unplugged. Might not be an issue if the vehicle is not started while the tailgate is off.

Still waiting on my appointment at the dealership to preform the TSB.

Yep, had mine done on Wednesday. I was worried after reading theses posts. I picked a Great Rhino dealer who is very experienced. Gave him the power tailgate removal instructions. He did everything right and guess what popped up after he put the tailgate back on…..

Reverse assistant unavailable!

Followed Owner’s Manuel instructions but not resolved. Harness is fully connected and Cameras/backup systems all work fine.

I Setup a dealer visit to have system reset but this really doesn’t make sense. I took off my old tailgate without issue. Never had a power tailgate before so is that the difference? Or is it the 360 cameras? Or just a system bug?

One issue that someone posted 0n another site was that Rhino spay is thicker than factory and might not allow tailgate to fully close against rubber bumpers.. I’m talking about 1/8” difference from factory spray. Installer sprayed around tailgate work surface like factory spay and it does touch rear bumper stops. Tailgate looks fully closed and I’m not getting any ajar messages. I always had a small gap even before the spray. Think maybe it’s enough to throw off sensor in power tailgate? Poster suggested to sand down liner where it meets rubber stopper.

Ford F-150 Reverse brake assist not available BEC3F940-DFD4-43AC-96DB-25E3424CD99A

Last edited:

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
Update:

Got the truck back today from the dealer after two days in service.

Service department are great folks but issue is not resolved.

Attempted TSB and recalibrate cameras but still coming up with one error code. The warning still pops up every time truck is put in reverse. All cameras and sensors work without issue. Service provided great communication but these trucks are so new there’s little real world experience to go on. They have to review the codes and follow Fords recommendations.

They believe it’s a bad coax cable and have ordered parts. Service manager said they will need to get under the dash to replace it.

Not sure if this has anything to do with bed spray. Service didn’t think so but maybe removing the tailgate triggered the error code. I do remember seeing the warning once before the spray but I hit ok too fast and didn’t see it again until the tailgate was removed. Now it happens every time. Have read many posts of this issue after bed spray. As I said in my last post spray dealer has years of experience and followed fords tailgate removal instructions. He said truck was not started with tailgate removed. All this is very weird. You would think if there was an issue Ford would have updated instructions.

Really hate the idea of the dash being worked on but I trust the service department. Just wish the TSB would have resolved the issue.

I’ll post another update once parts come in.

• Angry
Reactions: sbi

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
Update:

This weekend after driving 20-30 min and putting truck into reverse warning was not present. Moved from drive to reverse multiple times and no warning. I thought issue resolved itself but after turning truck off and restarting warning reappear. This has happened twice in the last two days.

I read some posts that stated reverse assist problem have resolved on their own for some owners but unclear why. One thing that is not clear is owners manual. Instructions provided to resolve warning do not work.

Going to wait for service/parts but this still appears to be a software bug to me. I’m confident my dealer will correct but Ford really needs to address this issue. They need to provide clear instructions on tailgate removal issues if that was the cause or if not identify the root cause.

I have seen Ford official Member representative on this site reach out to a few posters asking for VINs but have not seen any updates on resolution.

Sponsored

samx513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502a
Yep, had mine done on Wednesday. I was worried after reading theses posts. I picked a Great Rhino dealer who is very experienced. Gave him the power tailgate removal instructions. He did everything right and guess what popped up after he put the tailgate back on…..

Reverse assistant unavailable!

Followed Owner’s Manuel instructions but not resolved. Harness is fully connected and Cameras/backup systems all work fine.

I Setup a dealer visit to have system reset but this really doesn’t make sense. I took off my old tailgate without issue. Never had a power tailgate before so is that the difference? Or is it the 360 cameras? Or just a system bug?

One issue that someone posted 0n another site was that Rhino spay is thicker than factory and might not allow tailgate to fully close against rubber bumpers.. I’m talking about 1/8” difference from factory spray. Installer sprayed around tailgate work surface like factory spay and it does touch rear bumper stops. Tailgate looks fully closed and I’m not getting any ajar messages. I always had a small gap even before the spray. Think maybe it’s enough to throw off sensor in power tailgate? Poster suggested to sand down liner where it meets rubber stopper.

BEC3F940-DFD4-43AC-96DB-25E3424CD99A.jpeg
I do not have the 360 camera nor the power tailgate so I don’t think that’s the issue. This has to be some weird bug with unplugging the harness.

I finally got the truck back from the dealership after the TSB. So far so good, but I only have a few trips under my belt. I’m not convinced that it won’t come on again after reading your and many others posts.

Sorry to hear you’re still having trouble with it. Keep us posted!

P.S. dealer wanted to charge me a $135 diagnostic fee initially, since the issue happened after the liner install. After a call from linex, dealership changed their mind and preformed the TSB at no charge.

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
I do not have the 360 camera nor the power tailgate so I don’t think that’s the issue. This has to be some weird bug with unplugging the harness.

I finally got the truck back from the dealership after the TSB. So far so good, but I only have a few trips under my belt. I’m not convinced that it won’t come on again after reading your and many others posts.

Sorry to hear you’re still having trouble with it. Keep us posted!

P.S. dealer wanted to charge me a $135 diagnostic fee initially, since the issue happened after the liner install. After a call from linex, dealership changed their mind and preformed the TSB at no charge.

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting you don’t have either 360 or power tail but still had the issue. So that’s two issues off my list.

Dealer Charging for this is not acceptable and my dealer has not asked for any out of pocket costs. They didn’t think it had anything to do with the liner and agreed removing tailgate should not have caused a code on its own. I also remember seeing the warning once before the liner but I hit ok so fast I didn’t think to take a photo.

As I stated owners manual instructions were followed. Removing a tailgate is not an unusual task. It’s the reason Ford provides a harness and removal instructions. I also made a video showing this is an intermediate issue after the last time the warning disappeared and reappeared.

I really think TSB should be repeated on my truck before parts are changed. I’ll defer to the service tech and update after next visit.

If anyone has had this issue and it has self resolved please let me know.

samx513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502a
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting you don’t have either 360 or power tail but still had the issue. So that’s two issues off my list.

Dealer Charging for this is not acceptable and my dealer has not asked for any out of pocket costs. They didn’t think it had anything to do with the liner and agreed removing tailgate should not have caused a code on its own. I also remember seeing the warning once before the liner but I hit ok so fast I didn’t think to take a photo.

As I stated owners manual instructions were followed. Removing a tailgate is not an unusual task. It’s the reason Ford provides a harness and removal instructions. I also made a video showing this is an intermediate issue after the last time the warning disappeared and reappeared.

I really think TSB should be repeated on my truck before parts are changed. I’ll defer to the service tech and update after next visit.

If anyone has had this issue and it has self resolved please let me know.
I agree and I will have to remove my tailgate in the future to tow a trailer with a motorcycle that hangs out of the bed slightly. Can’t leave the tailgate down or it will collide with the trailer jack.

Keep me posted on whether or not the dealership tries the TSB.

I don’t recall if it was this thread or another, but someone said the instructions in the manual to reset the rear brake assist fail to mention that the truck has to be in some sort of “learning” mode that requires a scan tool….or something along those lines.

magvallo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Sport PB
So today I tried driving slow through side street to try to reset the sensors. Some folks are reporting the issue self resolves after 7-10 days. Each Time after a few minutes of driving the warning disappeared but every time I restart the warning comes back.

I even tried turning on and off all of the drivers assistance features.

So it appears driving slow close to other objects such as parked cars resets something but the code must stay and pops back up after restart.

I took some more videos which I will share with dealer service.

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I've been getting this on mine since day 1. Lariat with power tailgate and 360 camera. Dealer applied Rhino liner before I picked the new truck up. So seems to tick all the boxes for this happening.
I've been waiting to take it in when I got to pick up my new plates. We'll see what they are able to do.

Sponsored

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 2018 Explorer Platinum
This is dumb. I just had my liner put in yesterday and now mine is doing this crap.

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 2018 Explorer Platinum
Also, when I push the button to make my tailgate up it goes up and locks, no issues, but the screen says it’s ajar. If I put it in manual and lift it closed it doesn’t say ajar. Called for an appointment this morning. Fml

jac1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Hybrid F150
I have had this issue since pick up, last Tuesday, and that was without a spray in liner..

gotrucks

First Name
Vishal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1963 Austin Healey Sprite / 2021 F150 Lariat 502A
I had this problem occur on my Lariat this past weekend. Went to the dealership yesterday and they performed an IPMA and 360 camera calibration and it resolved the problem for me. Took about a couple of hours.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I just had Line-X done and am having the same issue. Calling dealer in the morning. ☹
Sponsored