• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Reserved within first 15 minutes, but dealer just told me I won't get a Lightning until 2023.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
I don't think he's singling you out. I belive he's more calling attention to the outrage about how the system appears broken, when someone who reserved ahead of you is still empty handed based on variables outside the scope of "first come first serve".
There were other variables that he/she/them didn't take into account.

It's not as simple as I reserved before you, so I should get to configure and order before you.

I was worried about Dealer allotments that a MEGA Dealership may receive many more MY22 Lightnings for their reservists to get a chance of a bite at getting a Lightning.

With selecting a smaller Dealership that they were not going to get enough Lightnings to satisfy their reservists and I miss a oppertunity to get a bite at a MY22 Lightning.
Sponsored

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I agree with this. Plus, at the time of reservation, I honestly had no idea that it would make a difference which dealership I chose. I went with the dealership I had purchased vehicles from.
Props to people who recognized the way to get an advantage, but it’s really strange that the dealership I chose made such a difference because the dealership knows hardly anything and offers almost no assistance with my purchase. Had I been given the option, I would have been fine to basically pick up a lightning anywhere.

and I never thought there was a chance I would not get a 2022. I’m blown away that my dealership with 700+ reservations is only getting 6 allocations for this year. (Less than 1%)

that really seems like a broken system to me.
My dealership has been very open with the number of their reservations and where I am in their list. They have not been provided any information as to their allocation for 2022. I am second at their dealership by my reservation being made 15 seconds after the first one and then am followed up by someone that made a reservation through them 5-10 seconds later than me, so I easily could have been third or fourth with having taken a bit more time entering information for the reservation.

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
My dealership has been very open with the number of their reservations and where I am in their list. They have not been provided any information as to their allocation for 2022. I am second at their dealership by my reservation being made 15 seconds after the first one and then am followed up by someone that made a reservation through them 5-10 seconds later than me, so I easily could have been third or fourth with having taken a bit more time entering information for the reservation.
i realize now that being 14th in line is reasonable with me being 18 minutes late with my reservation. Somehow I jumped to 27th at my dealership in the last month. But even at 27/734, I should be in the first 6 waves.

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant

It's not as simple as I reserved before you, so I should get to configure and order before you.

I was worried about Dealer allotments that a MEGA Dealership may receive many more MY22 Lightnings for their reservists to get a chance of a bite at getting a Lightning.

With selecting a smaller Dealership that they were not going to get enough Lightnings to satisfy their reservists and I miss a oppertunity to get a bite at a MY22 Lightning.
What about those of us that DIDN'T choose a MEGA dealership and still reserved before you? Don't defend @Ford Motor Company. It worked out for you, but its a terrible system for so many more people. I guess customers should be punished for living in a backwards non-ZEV state? That factor was never communicated to reservation holders. I would have gladly placed my order elsewhere if that were the case.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager

The issue to the average customer is that other variables should not factor in beyond who was first in line based on their timestamp. Ford has thrown in many variables that some are aware of, but not most. These variables are also not clearly identified anywhere in the reservation process. I will get my opportunity to order hopefully in the next month and waiting another month or two for delivery is not an issue. It is more the frustration of the process not being first in, first out. But with many things in life, life is not fair.

Sponsored

lowercontrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Mustang
The issue to the average customer is that other variables should not factor in beyond who was first in line based on their timestamp. Ford has thrown in many variables that some are aware of, but not most. These variables are also not clearly identified anywhere in the reservation process. I will get my opportunity to order hopefully in the next month and waiting another month or two for delivery is not an issue. It is more the frustration of the process not being first in, first out. But with many things in life, life is not fair.
Exactly. Had I known what I know now, I probably wouldn't haven't even placed my reservation. So, I guess my question really boils down to what exactly is/was the benefit to putting in a reservation durning the event if "first come first serve" didn't really play a role. I'm in the wrong state, picked a smaller dealer that prioritized people ahead of me, etc. What benefit do I have to keep my reservation other than at some point in time I can order, eventually?

I'm frustrated, but not going to lose sleep over it. I'm equally happy people got to order and can't wait to watch reviews, etc.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is the problem with Ford’s current system. Dealerships can still screw you over. They are doing this whole Reservation and Order system the wrong way.

1. Why do you have to choose a dealership when you reserve? The dealership should be chosen at the time of order. This allows Ford to allocate vehicles to where most Lightning Order are being placed instead of giving it to dealers with the most ICE sales. A dealer getting 15 allocations but adding market adjustment realized they have the upper hand over the MSRP dealer that is only getting 1 or 2.

2. Dealers should not be allowed to add above MSRP when turning a reservation to an order. Using me as an example, if I didn’t pay attention I would be SOL with a $5k markup and probably not taking delivery, giving the dealership an opportunity to add at least a $20k markup.

3. Order invitations should be based on Timestamp period. The “prioritization” part is garbage.

4. When you reserve you should be able to to choose model and options. This gives Ford a better idea of what to build and gives the customer a better idea of when to expect that vehicle.

I mean from the outside looking in to me it doesn’t seem hard to implement these changes. Again, give the dealers 1-2 allocations to build their own and sell on the lot. Those of us who wish to wait and order should be given the choice to choose a dealer for delivery purposes only.

Even now, I have to wait and see if the dealership I switched to on the day of ordering is willing to accept my order. They have other customers and a certain number of allocations. I have my order in, doesn’t mean they have to submit it for production. They could reject it and then I am SOL, so again my reservation was for not.

Last edited:

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
That’s a good summary, and exactly how Ford and other OEMs should proceed. It’ll keep the dealers in the loop and thus avoids legal issues, while at the same time bringing the customer experience into the 21st century. Ford, your move!

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
The order tracking sticky currently has 105 orders. Looks like 38 members said they were prioritized. Would be interesting to find out how they got priority. Any one care to share?

Tyler Durden

First Name
Cornelius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, F150 Lightning Lariat ER
All moot, but Ford could have placed some restrictions on the prioritization process. Only awarded to dealer's prior customers (in order of $$$, quantity, including service, etc.), then to customers who purchased Ford products elsewhere.

Or some other such things, just spitballing here. Not sure how Ford could have enforced such restrictions.

I'm dissappointed like many of you with early timestamps--but honestly that's all I got. I've never purchased a Ford, I wouldn't have minded getting bumped in line by someone who bought four F150s + service at my dealer.

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
The order tracking sticky currently has 105 orders. Looks like 38 members said they were prioritized. Would be interesting to find out how they got priority. Any one care to share?
I didn't know I was on priority until I called to find out where I was in the list. I was told that since I bought a few cars from them, and I regularly go to service there I was added to the priority list. I didn't ask for it, they just did it.

lowercontrol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Mustang
I didn't know I was on priority until I called to find out where I was in the list. I was told that since I bought a few cars from them, and I regularly go to service there I was added to the priority list. I didn't ask for it, they just did it.
And that’s my whole problem with this system.

When I had first put in my reservation, during the event, I chose a dealership that was near me since I just moved. I figured it would make things easier on myself and help support a local dealership.

I wish I had known ahead time about this because it was a critical mistake on my part. If I knew upfront how much prioritizing factored into things, I would have opted for the dealership I normally did business within.

I don’t fault the dealership as they are rewarding loyalty. I just wish I knew a head of time how important this step was in the process.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
And that’s my whole problem with this system.

When I had first put in my reservation, during the event, I chose a dealership that was near me since I just moved. I figured it would make things easier on myself and help support a local dealership.

I wish I had known ahead time about this because it was a critical mistake on my part. If I knew upfront how much prioritizing factored into things, I would have opted for the dealership I normally did business within.

I don’t fault the dealership as they are rewarding loyalty. I just wish I knew a head of time how important this step was in the process.
Remember the proverb... ignorance is bliss? If we didn't know about the process, we would not second guess our self on this whole thing. With that said though, IMHO Ford should have more transparent about this whole reservation system.

Dalton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Explorer
WAVE 2 ORDERED
  • Reservation Date 5/20/2021 1 AM
  • Order Date 1/20/2022
  • Order Number 1084XXXX
  • Was not Prioritized
    • CALIFORNIA DEALER - I assume is not a high volume local Ford Dealership comparatively to other well known SOCAL Mega Ford Dealerships that had a high number of Lightning orders.
    • So, I was higher up at my local smallish Ford Dealership list (No ADM) to get in as a Wave 2 order vs. changing to one of the many Mega Ford Dealership in Southern California and compete with the other 100s of Lightning reservists for a top spot.
Are you willing to share your dealership? I'm in SoCal also and also went with what I thought would be a smaller dealership than a mega one. Hoping I may have the same luck.

Chado

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, BMW, Tesla
On the plus side given how many of us day 1 and day 2 people that didnt get an invite seems promising for the stock.

Off it's high by about $5, currently $20.93 a share lol
Sponsored