Sponsored

Recent Cruise Control "update" is a safety hazard - how do you submit feedback to Ford?

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Wish the Speed Sign recognition had the option to "coast" to the new lower speed limit vs. applying the brakes. Most of the driving public is speeding and following too closely. When I see a new lower speed limited I hit the "X" and coast to the new speed limit and then hit resume once I am down to the lower speed.
That's why I no longer use Adaptive Cruise Control. It is similar behavior, too abrupt slowing down and acceleration, like a panic mode reaction by the computer.
Sponsored

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
As far as the keep hands on the wheel thing goes, There is no sensor for this. The truck is basically looking to fight you over control to tell you are there. Its looking for extra load on the steering system. The problem with this is if you have a good alignment and are on a nice straight road will little drainage gradient, you may have to do little to nothing to keep your truck on the road. Then turn on lane keeping, there just isnt enough there. I understand less is more, but in this case some kind of additional sensor would have been nice.
Some folks address it by hanging a couple pound ankle weight on the wheel to provide the pressure it is looking for.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Speed sign recognition or it's use is shaky
At least here in Texas

Google maps very often reflects the wrong speed limit. Our state road signs are easily confused by the camera.
And near me hwy 154 the speed limit is 60, 65 and 70. Google routinely swaps the 70 in a place where it's 65 or 60.
Depending on how fast Google maps update while driving could have you 10 miles over limit.
Relying on computer to make all driving decisions is faulty on the human part. Did no one watch 2001 space odyssey, or terminator, etc

I like adaptive cruise very much.
However it has limits
Especially in high traffic congested areas
Houston, Austin Dallas, miami, I 75 florida etc. I am sure it's same in other large cities with ongoing continual highway construction .
Those areas require vigilant drivers working in concert with the driver assistance sensors.

Mine if you press tye cruise button it comes on...waiting for me to set speed. If I turn it on below 10 mph.
Otherwise if your at speed and turn it on..it sets that speed. .as advertised

Last edited:

mau47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 502A Powerboost FX4
Some observations:
1) I drove my wifes Lexus yesterday. It behaves the same as the F-150 in that when you press the button to turn the system on it activates and sets the system to your current speed. I actually like it this way, I am turning it on because I want to use it, not just have it ready to use at some point. It doesn't bother me like it does others but to each their own in that respect.

2) I just did the most recent IPC update on my truck on Thursday and while the behavior itself hasn't changed, what has changed is when turning on cruise it now pops up a notification that lane keep is active every time. It was always on before but now it tells you with an on screen prompt that it is on. So this may be why people think there is a new behavior here. I am not a fan of this as it's just one more distraction/something to dismiss every time I drive.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some observations:

2) I just did the most recent IPC update on my truck on Thursday and while the behavior itself hasn't changed, what has changed is when turning on cruise it now pops up a notification that lane keep is active every time. It was always on before but now it tells you with an on screen prompt that it is on. So this may be why people think there is a new behavior here. I am not a fan of this as it's just one more distraction/something to dismiss every time I drive.
I can tell you with 100% confidence that LKA did not come on with cruise control prior to the update, with or without cluster message. I turned it on when I wanted to use it.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
WHINE WHINE WHINE - Do want some cheese with that whine?

Enough already This is getting ridiculous over nothing.

Simple fix - don't turn on Cruse Control. Then LKA will not turn on. Or, push a button with your left thumb and it is turned off - 3rd world problems.

65 messages over nothing.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
On multiple occasions when another vehicle was in the departure lane and slowing down the speed on my truck would drop by more than 25 mph and luckily I was not hit by a following driver. I stopped using cruise control entirely if there are other vehicles on the road.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
You can go into settings and select "normal cruise control" instead of "adaptive cruise control " and the truck will then run without "lane centering"

20240525_191938.jpg

20240525_191902.jpg
You'll also get warning every single time you activate cruise that adaptive is disabled. 🤷‍♂️

GypsyDanger

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' XLT
Occupation
Electrician
Wish the Speed Sign recognition had the option to "coast" to the new lower speed limit vs. applying the brakes. Most of the driving public is speeding and following too closely. When I see a new lower speed limited I hit the "X" and coast to the new speed limit and then hit resume once I am down to the lower speed.
I turn off the speed limit assist. It's the one feature I find annoying especially when my commute flow of traffic is often 10+ over posted limits.

Sponsored

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WHINE WHINE WHINE - Do want some cheese with that whine?

Enough already This is getting ridiculous over nothing.

Simple fix - don't turn on Cruse Control. Then LKA will not turn on. Or, push a button with your left thumb and it is turned off - 3rd world problems.

65 messages over nothing.
You could have saved the 66th. If you have nothing smart to say....no one forced you to follow, read or reply.
Enjoy the long weekend. Hope you start next week in a better mood.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can go into settings and select "normal cruise control" instead of "adaptive cruise control " and the truck will then run without "lane centering"

20240525_191938.jpg

20240525_191902.jpg
I am using Normal Cruise Control as I stated, it still comes on.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 307a PB, Mach E GTPE
I turn off the speed limit assist. It's the one feature I find annoying especially when my commute flow of traffic is often 10+ over posted limits.
We're a +10 state (no court case held against you unless the speed is +11). Most PDs require their officers to sign a notice basically saying they won't bother with things the can't prosecute / make their pirate funds off of. That doesn't however preclude them from using speed as a fishing means if you're sus looking. What that realistically translates to as +12 being ignored because there's always some fool doing +15 which adds another $200 pirate toll onto the bill for being a super speeder.

GSP can ticket at any speed but those guys are usually doing 20 over. Unless they're hiding in the slow lane with a vehicle obscuring them waiting for someone to blow by them. I've been in traffic doing 20 over with GSP snaking through and they'll only light up vehicles that suddenly slow them down because they saw them behind them, they'll move over a lane and lights off and they continue on. It's also illegal to obstruct the left lane of faster traffic regardless of the speed of traffic behind you. Quite a few out of state tags that don't understand that. It's nice when they do operations to target the passing lane hogs holding up traffic, but they only give them warnings. Traffic signs typically default to notifying it's unlawful to park in the left lane obstructing traffic when nothing is going on.

mau47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 502A Powerboost FX4
I can tell you with 100% confidence that LKA did not come on with cruise control prior to the update, with or without cluster message. I turned it on when I wanted to use it.
So I tested this some more over the last two days as I was on various trips. It seems like at this point it's buggy at best. I generally leave it on full time because I like it that way but I was toying with turning it off, sometimes it respects my wish to leave it off when turning cruise on, other times it turns it back on. I haven't really figured out the specific scenarios when it does one or the other besides "randomly"

Reactions: sbi

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I just finished updating all modules in my truck and finally brought it to 'current' status.
One of the new things (I don't know which module is responsible for that) is a new sequence of events when you turn Cruise Control Master on.
In every vehicle that I have driven, as well as my 2021 F-150 prior to the updates, you turn the C.C. Master ON and then if you want to set it, you do. If you don't - you don't. That's why there is a dedicated 'set' button to set the C.C. speed. It should be a driver's decision if/when to set it on. This is how C.C. should work.

After the updates, you press the C.C. Master ON, not only it activated the C.C. system, it immediately sets your speed (depending on your gas pedal: if the truck recognizes acceleration, it waits until you relieve pressure; if there is no acceleration it sets the speed you are at). It also turns Lane Keeping Assist ON. Again - there is a dedicated button for that; the driver should decide if he/she wants it ON or not.

From what I understand, this is not a bug in my truck, but rather this is how it works with the most recent update. It could be related to B.C., or perhaps a 20 y/o computer science undergrad doing summer internship at Ford decided it is a cool thing. My truck does not have B.C., so if this is part of B.C., this behavior should not be activated in non-B.C. trucks.
IMO this is a dangerous behavior.

Does anyone know how to submit feedback about this to Ford (other than phone or snail mail)?

Also, does anyone know if there is any way to "fix" this and make it work like it is supposed to: Master ON, Set Speed when I want to, nothing else turns on if I did not intentionally turned it on?

Thank you.
My truck had this change on the first or second updated. I was happy to see it.

I think it is stupid to have to turn cruise control on. It should just be set, cancel, resume, faster, and slower. But, it is what it is. Yes, a different button than after it is on to set it. But, still a one button set.
Sponsored