First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
I've been digging around the site and seen a few posts about skid plates and using them to also protect from "cat" theft.
Talons actively advertises their's as Anti-Theft protection, but RCI doesn't.

https://www.talonsgarage.com/product-page/f-150-transmission-skid-plate
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/f150-15-engine-15-22-f150-4wd-rci-engine-skid-plate-kit.html

I am basically trying to figure out the difference between these two offerings. It looks to me like RCI includes both the front plate and the transmission plate in their kit, but Talons doesn't. But... I don't see any "PowerBoost adaptor kit" for the RCI kit, but Talons does (for $60).

I have emails out to the companies asking some questions, but I thought I'd crowdsource the question and hope for some end user responses on how the different kits worked (or didn't work) for you.

I've got the FX4 package, so with the RCI kit, I'd get to lose that flimsy aluminum foil excuse for a front skid plate that Ford puts on there.

One last question... And I *think* I already know the answer... There is a 25 lb difference between the "10 Gauge - Powder Coated Steel" and the "1/4 inch Aluminum - Raw Metal" plates from RCI... but the aluminum is $50 more ($85 for powder coated aluminum)... is it worth the $$$ to save the weight?

Thanks! (This site has been a real God-send for a first time truck owner like me!)
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I believe the 2 parts you have linked cover 2 different areas under the truck. The Talon's garage one covers the cat. They do sell the front 2 pieces as well that protect the engine, oil pan, intercooler and other engine components. , but I don't think it fits on a powerboost.

Here is the comparable Talon's Garage part for the RCI:

https://www.talonsgarage.com/product-page/f-150-front-skid-plate

You'll notice in the picture there are 3 pieces. The back piece is the cat anti-theft skid plate you linked above.

I've been considering the Talon's garage one just to protect from someone stealing my cat.

OP
OP
JediNut

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
I believe the 2 parts you have linked cover 2 different areas under the truck. The Talon's garage one covers the cat. They do sell the front 2 pieces as well that protect the engine, oil pan, intercooler and other engine components. , but I don't think it fits on a powerboost.

Here is the comparable Talon's Garage part for the RCI:

https://www.talonsgarage.com/product-page/f-150-front-skid-plate

You'll notice in the picture there are 3 pieces. The back piece is the cat anti-theft skid plate you linked above.

I've been considering the Talon's garage one just to protect from someone stealing my cat.
The RCI kit comes with both the front replacement skid plate and the midsection plate...

According to the write up on the Stage 3 website:

Provides More Protection for your Oil Pan and Power Steering System
The stock skid plate (if your F150 even has one) does its job, but it's not the most sturdy thing in the world and it doesn't do much to protect your F150's Electronic Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) system. That's where RCI's Engine Skid Plate Kit comes in. RCI's Skid Plate Kit consists of two plates of thick metal that both replace your F150's flimsy factory skid plate and add another plate to better protect your F150's EPAS system in one seamless skid plate system that reaches all the way from under your truck's front bumper to its rear front crossmember. The RCI Engine Skid plate Kit installs without drilling, cutting, or any other permanent modifications, making it a breeze to add protection to your truck.

It doesn't really matter anyway, I just heard back from Ryan @ Stage 3 and the RCI plates will not fit a PowerBoost. So the only choice is the Talons plate. He also said that the RCI plates will protect the cats on a non-PowerBoost F-150 though. So at least other folks have a choice.

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
Do any of these skid plates interfere with oil changes?
Sponsored