Sponsored

Skid plates for Hybrid Powerboost 2021 f150?

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
Anyone have experience with ordering and/or installing skid plates for hybrid 2021 F150?

My platinum powerboost already has a metal plate over the fuel tank which I assume may be considered a skid plate.

While peering over my dealers parts guy shoulder at his parts screen, it looks like the engine and transmission plate is one piece ($117) with a small plate to cover the oil pan ($23). There is a separate piece that covers the radiator and allows the air dam to function($49). The transfer case plate lists for $52.75. Incredibly, the fuel tank plate lists for $569.

Since the parts guy was not all that knowledgeable, I am not sure about all this. The fuel tank cover/skid plate I have is metal (steel, thin gauge, 16?). I don't know what material for the others.

I have looked at some of the aftermarket players (RCI); but, they are not there yet for hybrids.

What do you guys know?
Sponsored

OP
OP
jjblas

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
Anyone have experience with ordering and/or installing skid plates for hybrid 2021 F150?

My platinum powerboost already has a metal plate over the fuel tank which I assume may be considered a skid plate.

While peering over my dealers parts guy shoulder at his parts screen, it looks like the engine and transmission plate is one piece ($117) with a small plate to cover the oil pan ($23). There is a separate piece that covers the radiator and allows the air dam to function($49). The transfer case plate lists for $52.75. Incredibly, the fuel tank plate lists for $569.

Since the parts guy was not all that knowledgeable, I am not sure about all this. The fuel tank cover/skid plate I have is metal (steel, thin gauge, 16?). I don't know what material for the others.

I have looked at some of the aftermarket players (RCI); but, they are not there yet for hybrids.

What do you guys know?
So, here is what I got so far. It looks like my fuel tank has some sort of skid plate (best picture I could do crawling under my car, partial view). And here are the pieces for transfer case, engine/transmission with oil pan cover and then a piece covering radiator and fitting under air dam.

Of course, there are connectors, I.e. nuts, washers, etc. Since the body is steel and the plates are aluminum, there has to be some sort of protection from electrolysis.

Obviously, the after market is not there for hybrids yet. Also the dealers, at least mine, are not real knowledgeable. It has been a very frustrating experience.

If I had ordered an off road package, I suppose this would have been taken care of.

Ford F-150 Skid plates for Hybrid Powerboost 2021 f150? 20210601_160452

Ford F-150 Skid plates for Hybrid Powerboost 2021 f150? 20210601_160248

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
So, here is what I got so far. It looks like my fuel tank has some sort of skid plate (best picture I could do crawling under my car, partial view). And here are the pieces for transfer case, engine/transmission with oil pan cover and then a piece covering radiator and fitting under air dam.

Of course, there are connectors, I.e. nuts, washers, etc. Since the body is steel and the plates are aluminum, there has to be some sort of protection from electrolysis.

Obviously, the after market is not there for hybrids yet. Also the dealers, at least mine, are not real knowledgeable. It has been a very frustrating experience.

If I had ordered an off road package, I suppose this would have been taken care of.

20210601_160452.jpg

20210601_160248.jpg
Ive been wondering this too, have you installed them yet? Did they simply just bolt on??

OP
OP
jjblas

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
Ive been wondering this too, have you installed them yet? Did they simply just bolt on??
I am waiting for the dealer to get the installation kit (nuts, bolts, spacers etc.). Be sure to get this when you get the plates.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Are you looking for more than comes with the FX4 package?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjblas

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
Are you looking for more than comes with the FX4 package?
No, I am not changing schools.Just adding some protection to under
belly if I briefly go off road

CVCA91911

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic

20210601_160452.jpg

20210601_160248.jpg
Could you please share the part numbers for the skid plates and mounting hardware?

Thank you

OP
OP
jjblas

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
Could you please share the part numbers for the skid plates and mounting hardware?

Thank you
I don't have the part numbers for the mounting hardware. The part numbers I have are
ZFl3z-5d032-c
Ml3z-7e063-c
Ml3z-5d032-a
FL3z-5d032-d

Be advised, one of these parts (I don't know which) is already on your power boost and will be replaced. Also, fuel tank has a plastic skid plate already. So basically, you get a plate that covers engine and transmission with a removable cover plate to access the oil pan. Also, there is a plate for the transfer case.

Unfortunately, there is no plate to fit under the air dam to protect the radiator.

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Instructional Designer
Here is my PowerBoost FX4 from the underside front to back.

Front
Ford F-150 Skid plates for Hybrid Powerboost 2021 f150? 2021 F150 Undercoating 2

Middle
Ford F-150 Skid plates for Hybrid Powerboost 2021 f150? 2021 F150 Undercoating 1

Back
Ford F-150 Skid plates for Hybrid Powerboost 2021 f150? 2021 F150 Undercoating 3

Sponsored

twelpo19

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Rach, 2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Consultant
Thank you for the help with the part numbers and pics. This weekend installed the setup and here are a few hints...

1) Paint or in my case bed line the parts. I have 7500 miles and the front skid on the truck was already beat up. All come unpainted as they do installed from the factory (see pic)
2) Don't buy extra hardware like I did. Told him give me the full setup and he did, reality is you only need the bolts/nuts for the transfer case skid.
3) Don't rebuy the front skid, I now have 2. No need to get ML3Z*5D032*A as already on and will discard.
4) Engine skid goes OVER the bolts on the Trans cover. Simply loosen the back engine skid bolts, slide the cover into the slots and tighten up. Very clever engineers not making you take the black mid cover off.
5) Remove the capture nuts from the skid not used in the front and on top of rear attachment point for the original engine cover. If not, without a bolt in them they will rattle. Pry them off with a screwdriver.

Good addition. Easy install, only wish I had the hints so thought would post here.
Ford F-150 Skid plates for Hybrid Powerboost 2021 f150? IMG_3462
Ford F-150 Skid plates for Hybrid Powerboost 2021 f150? IMG_3465
Ford F-150 Skid plates for Hybrid Powerboost 2021 f150? IMG_3466
Ford F-150 Skid plates for Hybrid Powerboost 2021 f150? IMG_3494

Last edited:

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
Nice. I was honestly amazed that these actually come on the FX4, so I had to ask of these were the same ones.
Yea those don’t look as bad as some have described. I think if you’re already getting the locking axle and floor liners then might as well spend the extra cash for the FX4 package.
Sponsored