Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Yes, the transfer case skid does add two more bolts. I just put one on the past weekend.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Often when a metallic skid plate is added to a truck that didn't have one, the noises the truck already made become amplified. Often a noise that was unnoticed becomes noticeable.

The 10r80 transmission has 2 fluid pumps. One for when the engine is running (gear driven) and one for when the engine is not running (electric).

The gear driven pump is fairly notorious for whining at various levels. Some are quiet enough that you'd have to get close to it to hear it over the typical truck noise. Others whine so loud that the truck owner and the warranty technician agree that it's not something you should live with. Then there's all the ones in between, that a metal skid plate would amplify.

If you saw a 10r80 transmission sump cover dropped and got a look at the plastic cover that surrounds the gear drive, you would understand how there's such a variability between trucks and how much noise/whine that pump can make. The plastic shroud doesn't have sufficient integrity of its own to ensure its not going to rub up against the gear itself. A bit aggravating considering the 10r80 is in its 6th year of production and Ford has had to warranty many.

By the way, it could be whining horribly and still be functioning properly. The plastic whine has little/no impact on the pump functioning.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Often when a metallic skid plate is added to a truck that didn't have one, the noises the truck already made become amplified. Often a noise that was unnoticed becomes noticeable.

The 10r80 transmission has 2 fluid pumps. One for when the engine is running (gear driven) and one for when the engine is not running (electric).

The gear driven pump is fairly notorious for whining at various levels. Some are quiet enough that you'd have to get close to it to hear it over the typical truck noise. Others whine so loud that the truck owner and the warranty technician agree that it's not something you should live with. Then there's all the ones in between, that a metal skid plate would amplify.

If you saw a 10r80 transmission sump cover dropped and got a look at the plastic cover that surrounds the gear drive, you would understand how there's such a variability between trucks and how much noise/whine that pump can make. The plastic shroud doesn't have sufficient integrity of its own to ensure its not going to rub up against the gear itself. A bit aggravating considering the 10r80 is in its 6th year of production and Ford has had to warranty many.

By the way, it could be whining horribly and still be functioning properly. The plastic whine has little/no impact on the pump functioning.
This is really loud, dunno if you saw the video I linked.

I don't think it's a noise I didn't hear before just getting amplified and noticed now. There's also the issue of this being reproducible when the exhaust is hot, and not when its cooled down.

Something about plastic in the transmission just doesn't appeal to me. :)

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
I went with M12-1.5, 90 mm in length. Stainless as well. Must be careful about cold welding/galling with stainless, be sure to use anti-seize or lock tight. I can post back once my bolts arrive - hopefully this Wednesday.
I just measured the thickness of the skid plate + cross member and it is 58mm. I’m going to try 80mm bolts.

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I agree, 80 should work. I will probably cut mine down and grind the end to remove sharp edges. BTW McMaster-Carr has those bolts. I ordered from Amazon; they are from China.

Sponsored

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
The 4” bolt was making contact with the transmission heat shield (guessing that’s what it is). Definitely need a shorter bolt.

May still have to bend the shield a bit to make room. Did no one else have this problem?

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate 261D08F9-8D1E-463A-9439-6F87A18D52E0

Last edited:

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
The 4” bolt was making contact with the transmission heat shield (guessing that’s what it is). Definitely need a shorter bolt.

May still have to bend the shield a bit to make room. Did no one else have this problem?

261D08F9-8D1E-463A-9439-6F87A18D52E0.jpeg
Nice! Let us know how the new bolts work out. If they are good I will probably preorder them myself.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect

261D08F9-8D1E-463A-9439-6F87A18D52E0.jpeg
I have not, but I don't normally drive my truck long distances all that much. I will check though. Is that the drive side back or the passenger side back (can't tell if that is the heat shielding on the bottom)

I think mine was almost wedged against it. If you find a shorter bolt works, I think I'll swap mine out to be sure.

One note, you mentioned stainless. Is that more resistant to the galvanic reaction with aluminum or are you just looking for weather protection (something I need to worry about as well in FL). Thinking you could probably get a nylon washer if that was the case.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
I have not, but I don't normally drive my truck long distances all that much. I will check though. Is that the drive side back or the passenger side back (can't tell if that is the heat shielding on the bottom)

I think mine was almost wedged against it. If you find a shorter bolt works, I think I'll swap mine out to be sure.

One note, you mentioned stainless. Is that more resistant to the galvanic reaction with aluminum or are you just looking for weather protection (something I need to worry about as well in FL). Thinking you could probably get a nylon washer if that was the case.
This was on the back passenger’s side.

I’m going for stainless just for longevity, I’m not sure it’s necessary.

I bought stainless M12-1.75 metric hardware from Ace Hardware (1.75 is a coarse thread, less susceptible to galling or cold welds) and stainless replacement 3/8 hardware with a shorter 3” bolt (including a split ring) from Lowe’s. Am I over engineering this? Most likely yes. :)

I think the metric bolt is overkill and the wider nut will likely reduce available space even more so I’ll probably return that. My local Ace didn’t have a stainless nyloc nut in M12 either.

I haven’t installed yet.

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate 1661961007364

Last edited:

Sponsored

Undertheradar

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Got mine installed today. Pretty straightforward, only issue I had was on that same passenger side rear bolt but mine wasn’t too long, that heat shield got in the way of letting one of the big fender washers sit flat on top of the crossmember (which is needed as the hole is too big and the nut will fall through.). Easy fix though, just loosen the bolt holding heat shield, which allows you to push it up, then you can drop the washer down and put the heat shield on top of it. Once both are tightened back up it’s solid as can be.

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate 5BD4E486-8EE5-421D-BEE6-743697913CF8

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate B072F64E-E4B2-4CBB-8AB5-A354C840591E

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Got mine installed today. Pretty straightforward, only issue I had was on that same passenger side rear bolt but mine wasn’t too long, that heat shield got in the way of letting one of the big fender washers sit flat on top of the crossmember (which is needed as the hole is too big and the nut will fall through.). Easy fix though, just loosen the bolt holding heat shield, which allows you to push it up, then you can drop the washer down and put the heat shield on top of it. Once both are tightened back up it’s solid as can be.

5BD4E486-8EE5-421D-BEE6-743697913CF8.jpeg

B072F64E-E4B2-4CBB-8AB5-A354C840591E.jpeg

Love the roll over video!

xaiverson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 501a Powerboost
How have oil changes been with these? Looking to possibly buy one.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
How have oil changes been with these? Looking to possibly buy one.
I do not have my plate yet, no truck yet, but look into a Fumoto valve with a nipple for a hose or this:

ValvoMax Oil Drain System

I got that ValvoMax for when my truck comes in. Good luck if you get that cat plate and let us know how you make out.

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Oil changes are no problem IF you have a quick-drain value installed, something like a Fumoto. If you do not have one then the massive oil stream that gushes out is going to hit the plate and make a mess.
Sponsored