Sponsored

Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate

xaiverson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 501a Powerboost
Oil changes are no problem IF you have a quick-drain value installed, something like a Fumoto. If you do not have one then the massive oil stream that gushes out is going to hit the plate and make a mess.
Do you need to remove plates to get access to the oil filter?
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Do you need to remove plates to get access to the oil filter?
This plate? No. The Oil Filter is on the front of the engine, this is all behind the front wheels to about mid(ish) cab.

If you have other skit plates, they may interfere.

Talon2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Nurse
I weighed mine after assembling it today - 34.8 lbs. This includes the wings and the oil drain cover.

I also put some blue loctite on the oil cover bracket and plate bolts. The nuts for the wings were nylocs, but the oil cover ones didn't look vibration resistant to me.
Personally, on my truck I did not use Loctite, but I also wanted to see how vibration resistant they are. I have not noticed them loosening.

away above idle rpm. This tr
Torqued them down pretty tight. Didn’t want to over torque but they’re not loose by any means.

Some more testing today. No sound on a cold engine. But there is a long climb up to my home that has the turbos busy. I drove up it and immediately checked for the sound after that climb and sure enough, it was there though not as loud as last night. Something expands when it heats up and makes contact. I’ll start with shorter bolts.

If it’s the wings then that will be a bigger problem to solve. :)

Are you sure it was the 4" bolt? I believe we are sending out only 3.5" bolts now. If you shoot me a message on the website we can send you out a 3.5 bolt if you think this will fix it.

There are a few other causes of rattles I have discovered that sound like what I heard in your video. Granted that was pretty loud.

1. The oil door/mount being loose.
2. If a spring clip was left on somewhere it can cause a rattle
3. Exhaust touching one of the wings. IIRC the drivers side cat is closer to the plate in most cases, so loosening the plate and giving it a good shove to the driver side will give you some extra room. This is what I would do first. Also, If they are installed on the inside of the plate, moving them to the outside will give you extra space. I have noticed on fords that the exhaust tolerances can vary pretty significantly. Like another member suggested, carefully touching the plate can help narrow it down.

Also, feel free to shoot us an email if you need further help.

Talon2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Nurse
the length of the wings if you compare the 1st photo which I attached in my post above (@FrankThompson origi
'so should I feel like I'm missing out on not getting the longer wings or should I feel like I have a special edition.....LOL

Nice that they are continually improving it though :)

It looks like TobsterTx3 has a regular F-150 plate and not the power boost version. The Power boost plate has slightly shorter wings in relation to the plate. This is due to the power boost having some extra gussets between the frame and crossmember. The shorter wings make the powerboost install WAY easier, and the gussets help protect the area that the wings no longer cover.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Personally, on my truck I did not use Loctite, but I also wanted to see how vibration resistant they are. I have not noticed them loosening.

Are you sure it was the 4" bolt? I believe we are sending out only 3.5" bolts now. If you shoot me a message on the website we can send you out a 3.5 bolt if you think this will fix it.

There are a few other causes of rattles I have discovered that sound like what I heard in your video. Granted that was pretty loud.

1. The oil door/mount being loose.
2. If a spring clip was left on somewhere it can cause a rattle
3. Exhaust touching one of the wings. IIRC the drivers side cat is closer to the plate in most cases, so loosening the plate and giving it a good shove to the driver side will give you some extra room. This is what I would do first. Also, If they are installed on the inside of the plate, moving them to the outside will give you extra space. I have noticed on fords that the exhaust tolerances can vary pretty significantly. Like another member suggested, carefully touching the plate can help narrow it down.

Also, feel free to shoot us an email if you need further help.
It turned out to be two things. It was the bolt making contact and a 3.5" bolt would fix that. It was also the driver side exhaust making contact, moving the wings to the outside solved it.

Thank you for the offer but I already got shorter stainless replacement bolts from ACE Hardware and the plate is doing great. :)

Sponsored

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Hoping this might help others.

I completed my first oil change yesterday at 4000 miles with the plate installed. I purchased a 2-1/2” flexible hose for $10 off Amazon and routed it round the sway bar and down through the hole to my oil pan. It worked pretty good, it was restricted (squashed) over the sway bar so some of the oil came back out the entrance hole and not down the tube although that allowed it to flow down through the access plate with the majority landing in the pan or my absorbent pads. Overall, very limited mess.

This is the hose. https://a.co/d/aMXlqYD

As I have the 2.7EB which comes with the yellow plastic drain plug, I installed the UPR Drain Valve to make oil changes easier in future. Link below.

https://www.uprproducts.com/upr-for...for-mustang-f150-raptor-edge-explorer-bronco/

Last edited:

Nommpop

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 XLT PB
This Thread made my weekend! Sending out a new product is one thing that will leave me awake at night. I am always very nervous that the new plate is not going to fit once it gets sent out.

We are a new company, right around a year old now. I noticed a few people commented on the design of our old plate compared to this one. A huge part of us being able to make new style plate the way it is now is our HUGE investments back into the company for new and better equipment. We are still a very small shop compared to some of the larger names in off road skid plates, but we are growing, and hope we are here to stay! I read this thread, and saw a bunch of interesting questions I figured I would comment on.
Any chance there's any discounts or trade in options available if we already have the earlier generation and want to upgrade to this one?

Talon2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Nurse
Any chance there's any discounts or trade in options available if we already have the earlier generation and want to upgrade to this one?

Typically, we do not do any discounts or promo codes because we keep are margins pretty small. Something I have noticed, is most competitors who advertise sales, are still more expensive then we are, and their product takes a lot less material to cut make :p.

That being said, I just brought this up to my wife and we both think its a good idea. I am going to do some number crunching and see what I can set up.

Talon2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Nurse
I have the same thing going on with their front skid plate, you get two pieces where one of them you need to remove the active dam to install. I'd rather get rid of that felt guard underneath, I think I've heard called the diaper, Lol. You'd need to buy both to get the one. Maybe they'll sell individually if enough was warranted to be sold.
Screenshot_20220812-070803_Samsung Internet.jpg

Actually, We have done a slight redesign and our front skid plate now fits on the powerboost and active air damn trucks!

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
Actually, We have done a slight redesign and our front skid plate now fits on the powerboost and active air damn trucks!
The Talon website shows that the engine skid plate is out of stock for the F150. Do you know when the will be back in stock. The new transmission/catalytic converter plate look awesome.

Sponsored

Spidergears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Typically, we do not do any discounts or promo codes because we keep are margins pretty small. Something I have noticed, is most competitors who advertise sales, are still more expensive then we are, and their product takes a lot less material to cut make :p.

That being said, I just brought this up to my wife and we both think its a good idea. I am going to do some number crunching and see what I can set up.
I might be interested with a discount! ;)

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
These things are a beast, and they're not hard to install. The most challenging part was that a dealer rounded off the female threads on my stock t-case skid plate, and I had my mechanic dig those out. He threw the rest of the plates on free of charge because it took him no time.

The engine plates took me 90 minutes with no lift and starting from "I have zero idea how this works". The transmission and t-case plate seemed like they were gonna be another 90. With a lift and on your second go-round, I think this might be a 45 minute job total.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Just placed my order for the cat plate. I went with the mismatched set while he still has some to save $50! That more than covered the shipping. Thanks Talons, I can't wait to install!

Now I just have to decide to leave it as is (probably) or powdercoat.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I have a big combined bumper/ grillguard, so I'm not a great person to ask "can you see the skid plate from the front?" That said, before I knew that mine is completely obscured from vision, my plan was to rough up the surface and hit it with Brownell's Alumahyde, basically an epoxy paint in a rattle can. It takes a while to cure, but the cans are only about $20 each. If you go that route, wait until summer, spray it and leave it out the direct sun. Heat=epoxy cures faster, and otherwise you're looking at a week for that stuff to cure. Oven or Texas sun, maybe a day.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I have a big combined bumper/ grillguard, so I'm not a great person to ask "can you see the skid plate from the front?" That said, before I knew that mine is completely obscured from vision, my plan was to rough up the surface and hit it with Brownell's Alumahyde, basically an epoxy paint in a rattle can. It takes a while to cure, but the cans are only about $20 each. If you go that route, wait until summer, spray it and leave it out the direct sun. Heat=epoxy cures faster, and otherwise you're looking at a week for that stuff to cure. Oven or Texas sun, maybe a day.
Thanks for the tip about Brownell's. That stuff looks pretty good for DYI finish. I had an aluminum skid plate for my 2009 Tacoma powdercoated and after I did that I thought it may not last, but it did. This stuff looks rock solid too.
Sponsored