First Name
Kees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 PB
Occupation
Marine biologist
Unfortunately I found evidence of rats under the hood of my beautiful new powerboost a few weeks ago and I have been battling them ever since.
They seem to really enjoy the foam cowling that is cover the ICE, and have been going crazy on it. No chewed wires yet but they are close. I have tried repellants of all kinds (sonic, odor and lights) snap traps on the wheels, nothing has worked. So i am starting to bait them with poison, i tried but they are messing with my new truck so f* them.
My girlfriends car is parked next to my truck and it is a pig stye yet they still prefer my new clean new powerboost.
Has anyone had any luck with rats other than poison? I hate using it but im going insane and not sleeping at night, lol. Also has anyone had to replace the foam cowling on the ice?
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
For rat bait to be effective, they must not be allowed to carry it off otherwise they'll stash it.

Cats work well too.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
If any critter messes with my truck, the gloves are off. I would use any means necessary to eliminate them and not lose a wink of sleep. Are you sure they are rats and not squirrels? Anyway, not sure of how to deter them but maybe something like this. ;)
Ford F-150 Rats in a new Powerboost s-l1200

GIjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 f250
Old school rat traps. Baits are a waste of time

Sponsored

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A

BarryT82

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
USAF
Lowe’s sells an electronic trap that electrocutes them. Put a little bit of peanut butter inside ant the back of it and turn it on. Once they go inside and step on the metal strips they’re dead. You can flip the top open and dump out the dead mouse.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I have had amazingly good success with coyote urine spray and scent tags/wraps for repelling rats and squirrels and keeping them out of engine bays. You can get granules to surround the area where the truck is parked to keep them away from the area then use a professional style bait trap like the ones they put out behind restaurants nearby to kill them.

OP
OP
Kees

Kees

First Name
Kees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 PB
Occupation
Marine biologist
Thank you for all of the replies, I will try everything!

PowerBoostSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariet Powerboost
Get them now if you can, I had them eat a ton of wiring on an older F150 and it cost me $1500 in time at the dealer to trace everything, but the service tech was good to me as he only charged me for the splicing, tape, etc. Replacing wiring harnesses would have cost me $4000++ and insurance will cover, but they don't like ... The attraction on the wiring, the insulation is mostly plant based now - from soy beans!

Sponsored

King Luis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60 and 23' Tremor 5.0 ordered.
is there any food, crumbles, etc around your house? neighbours got bird feeders or anything?
they are attracted to your area because of a food source. my old neighbour has this problem because his neighbour has a low hanging bird feeder that they over fill then they also put out scrap food on a plate for ?animals to eat or something?. might be some sort of religious thing as i saw a few other neighbours do it. anyways. it attracts mice and they hide under the cars and look for homes. hence, mice in the car.

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
What about just getting rid of the foam cover?

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Unfortunately I found evidence of rats under the hood of my beautiful new powerboost a few weeks ago and I have been battling them ever since.
They seem to really enjoy the foam cowling that is cover the ICE, and have been going crazy on it. No chewed wires yet but they are close. I have tried repellants of all kinds (sonic, odor and lights) snap traps on the wheels, nothing has worked. So i am starting to bait them with poison, i tried but they are messing with my new truck so f* them.
My girlfriends car is parked next to my truck and it is a pig stye yet they still prefer my new clean new powerboost.
Has anyone had any luck with rats other than poison? I hate using it but im going insane and not sleeping at night, lol. Also has anyone had to replace the foam cowling on the ice?
For the short term I would use a few old-fashioned traps to get rid of the immediate offenders, then sprinkle cayenne powder around the engine bay, leave the hood open at night (They don't like the no privacy). You might try one of those motion strobe lights, I've seen them wired into the vehicle, but I would not personally do that on a PB, but I've been thinking about that as well. And last but not least cats. They did the same thing to my two week old PB, started accruing nest material on top of the engine cover, I went to war just like you did, and purposely did not get my cats fixed, I have seven now. I still leave my hood open at night just to make sure. Good luck, I know it's frustrating.

Babbage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.5 XLT 302A FX4 PP2K 36GAL TOW
Occupation
Wild horse rider
Rat poison is evil. Rat can go in a wall and die. Or Rat eats poison goes outside, the a fox eat it and also gets sick and dies, then brids eat the fox and guess what the poison goes into their system and kills them too! Poison is bad.....

Another Tip: rats and mice do not like dryer sheets! Bounce dryer sheets, tuck in engine bay (away from belt drive) around truck in garage etc. This will also help.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
We had Voles (not moles, Voles) in our backyard which look like baby mice. They were making tracks all through the lawn and I bought a bunch of these and they work like magic. The first three days I caught and killed 13 of them. Then over the next week or two I got the rest of them I can't honestly tell you how many there were in total but these work great.
I placed them in the path of the trails they left in the grass but if you were to leave these in the open around your truck I'm sure you would catch some. If not immediately, try to add some peanut butter in the middle of it. Honestly for the price of these they work great and you get 75 of them or so.
Ford F-150 Rats in a new Powerboost Screenshot_20231020_150849_Amazon Shoppin
Sponsored