New PowerBoost nightmares

Ford driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB 2022 Explorer
Occupation
Durability Test Technician
I had a 2021 F150 screw V8 with a short driving me mad. Dealer couldn't figure it out and I needed a truck. I traded in my 21 for a brand new off the truck 2022 PowerBoost.
3 days in my truck starts slamming into the transition from electric to engine power. I receive service engine power malfunction notice. . This happens for a few days off and on (I was in contact with the dealership during this time and had it up there with the issue) and then the problem goes away. Now last week, electric mode stopped working, I get charging system error, powertrain malfunction, service vehicle soon, Propower on board unavailable, pre collision assist not available etc. When I was driving into the dealership, the truck started stuttering at around 50 MPH. It also has a coolant leak, you could smell coolant from the day it was picked up. I haven't even had the truck for a month yet, and it's been parked and/or in the shop almost longer than I've been able to drive it. What has happened to the quality that 2 new trucks have serious issues?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Statistically speaking, for you it appears that when it rains it pours.

If it really does come in 3's, you are 1/2 way to an awesome truck.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Seriously, I just hope that they discover that your Powerboost issues are tied to a single defect. Sounds like the torque converter/electric motor assembly is definitely defective.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had a 2021 F150 screw V8 with a short driving me mad. Dealer couldn't figure it out and I needed a truck. I traded in my 21 for a brand new off the truck 2022 PowerBoost.
3 days in my truck starts slamming into the transition from electric to engine power. I receive service engine power malfunction notice. . This happens for a few days off and on (I was in contact with the dealership during this time and had it up there with the issue) and then the problem goes away. Now last week, electric mode stopped working, I get charging system error, powertrain malfunction, service vehicle soon, Propower on board unavailable, pre collision assist not available etc. When I was driving into the dealership, the truck started stuttering at around 50 MPH. It also has a coolant leak, you could smell coolant from the day it was picked up. I haven't even had the truck for a month yet, and it's been parked and/or in the shop almost longer than I've been able to drive it. What has happened to the quality that 2 new trucks have serious issues?
Hi there! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you on my end.

OP
OP

Ford driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PB 2022 Explorer
Occupation
Durability Test Technician
In addition to what @Snakebitten has suggested, the coolant smell might be a symptom of a bad exhaust heat exchanger. It’s a long thread, but you might get some intelligence here. https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...at-exchanger-leak-megathread.8634/post-169401
The dealership called today. They said I have a bad exhaust heat exchanger, and that is the cause of all of the issues.
The part is on back order, so no idea when I can get my new truck back. The dealership has been great during these issues. Ford shipping new trucks with known troubled parts.... that's a problem.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
The dealership called today. They said I have a bad exhaust heat exchanger, and that is the cause of all of the issues.
The part is on back order, so no idea when I can get my new truck back. The dealership has been great during these issues. Ford shipping new trucks with known troubled parts.... that's a problem.
Oh, man. I am sorry to hear that. The rollout of the 14th Gen. F150 has been “eventful.” I’m two recalls and a malfunctioning TCU into mine. I consider myself lucky.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Wow. You have had the worst luck.
Super easy to fix.
Take minutes.

But could take a maddening amount of time getting the part.

Still, I'm not convinced that the heat exchanger is responsible for all the symptoms that you described.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
You could try swapping in a known good 12V battery up front. A few others have reported this solving randomly repeating problems with lots of warnings/dash lights.

-Eric

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I believe you have a bad heat exchanger but I don’t believe it causes all your problems. In that very long thread, nobody has reported those other problems as symptoms

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
In these trucks the systems are so intertwined that one thing wrong will give multiple system warnings.
Yes. And even when more than one thing is wrong, the techs stop looking for other problems until the first one they find is fixed.

SRMD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Sequoia, 2019 Outback, 1998 XJ
Mechanics do not diagnose anything anymore. They plug into the ODBII and read codes. Mechanics used to be some of the smartest/clever people. Now, most are just robots that remove and replace parts as the computer tells them. Most no longer have the ability to analyze and diagnose a problem.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

All Ford's good ole back order... (n) Sooner or later Ford will HAVE to get its act together and actually supply parts to the dealerships...

What's the build date for your PB? It's is very possible if it was a chip hold unit that it was part of a run that had issues with the heat exchanger. I wouldn't go so far as to state that Ford is knowingly shipping vehicles with known issues. More like the downside to mass production. It happens from time to time. Hopefully they will be able to get the replacement in quickly and get you going.

The PB is a great platform. I've owned mine for just at a month now and absolutely love it. Hopefully yours will treat you right after this fix is done.
Sponsored