TXBugoutFord

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum PB FX4
Hey guys,

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum as this is my first post. I am picking up my F150 3.5L PowerBoost later this week and right out of the gate we will be taking it on a long road trip through Colorado.

I am a total flatlander and would appreciate any tips on which Drive Mode is better for Engine Braking downhill and to a lesser extent ascending a steep grade after a switchback.

I read elsewhere that both Sport Mode and Tow Modes are pretty good but thought I would reach out here.

Thanks guys!!
Sponsored

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
I just got mine last week, so not a lot of experience with it but I live in a hilly area and read similarly as you but so far, I was surprised that even in electric mode, there is some engine braking. It doesn't just free wheel. At least not with the cruise set.

Unless towing, which as per Ford, shouldn't be done until 1K miles break in, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Also, you can switch modes while underway. Tow haul, is just one click to the left and you can manually down shift, locking out the upper gears and no, you don't have to push "M" first.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I would use normal drive mode and monitor the EV coach for when you run out of regen ability. Once that happens, the engine will automatically come on to assist with engine braking. The truck automatically grade shifts to a degree, but if you need more, you can always use the +\- button to limit gears or use M to manually control the gears

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I spent a few weeks in Colorado and drove my truck up and down various mountains including Pike's Peak.

Hybrid regen is a huge help and definitely assists with the brakes. It's not a silver bullet though, you still need to leverage engine braking by locking out gears.

That being said, the truck did a great job. At halfway point going back down on Pike's Peak there's a guy who checks your brake heat with an laser temp gauge, and he said my brakes were not warm at all, I did great. I'm certain the PB's regen played a huge role in that.

OP
OP
TXBugoutFord

TXBugoutFord

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum PB FX4
I spent a few weeks in Colorado and drove my truck up and down various mountains including Pike's Peak.

Hybrid regen is a huge help and definitely assists with the brakes. It's not a silver bullet though, you still need to leverage engine braking by locking out gears.

That being said, the truck did a great job. At halfway point going back down on Pike's Peak there's a guy who checks your brake heat with an laser temp gauge, and he said my brakes were not warm at all, I did great. I'm certain the PB's regen played a huge role in that.
This is great info. Thanks everyone! Sounds like I need to practice locking out gears. Haha.

Fat Vinnie

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
00 Excursion & Expedition 14 CMax 22 PB Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Just completed a 3450 mile trip from So. Cal to Glacier NP. PB was great, lots of mountain driving and 80+ mph roads. Averaged 21.1 MPG. And most importantly had plenty of passing power (even uphill) when needed.
as stated above, learn to use the shift lever block out of the higher gears (mostly 7-10). We used both normal and eco modes and had no problems at all. Just drive it and enjoy all the great features.
Sponsored