First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Director, Software Development
Mechanics do not diagnose anything anymore. They plug into the ODBII and read codes. Mechanics used to be some of the smartest/clever people. Now, most are just robots that remove and replace parts as the computer tells them. Most no longer have the ability to analyze and diagnose a problem.
Somewhat agree. I have a good friend who's a Ford tech and is the top "driveability" guy... If something can't be figured out, he's the guy digging in.

I can't blame the techs for relying on the diagnostic equipment. One just needs to read into all of the chips that are missing. I'm a software engineer by trade and I'd have no clue what to do with all of the closed electronic systems that talk to each other.

A lot of mechanics who start out as apprentices go to smaller generic shops where they focus on oil changes, tire rotations and other low-tech experience. Once they're doing grinding, they can hope to start at the bottom of the totem pole at a dealership and gradually get trained up to be specialized and knowledgeable.

Long story long, the techs are not to blame :)
Sponsored